Really humbling day for Pant

SK_IH

9 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

No. This is not isolated. Let us leave MSD out of it. Pant's keeping in general lacks some basics. HE catches himself off the wrong foot. He is not alert to situations. He is a bit distracted with his chirping and chatting. 

Pant reminds me of parthiv Patel in keeping only. Missed catches, stumpings. These guys start very young don’t understand how they can’t get basics especially with wrong foot, getting up with rise of the ball. May be keepers need more time to mature and they need 100 percent concentration compared to fielders.

Edited by gattaca
5 minutes ago, Lannister said:

These 5 players are competing for 4 remaining spots in the WC squad. 

KL, Pant, Shankar, Rayudud, Jadeja. If last 2 players make it, then Kohli's humiliation is guaranteed. 

Jadeja will be there I am pretty sure, so half humiliation is guranteed

Let the kid play matches before having any kind of opinion

We had already lost the cup when we decided to go with Thala and rayudu , Jadeja,we have invested(wasted) a lot of time on these Dead bats,a farmer too needs atleast 5-6 months to grow a decent crop,but people here are expecting too much from someone who is too raw and who was not supposed to be in the side for a so called erstwhile great, isn't that inequity??had thala and rayta played yesterday we couldn't have crossed 320

14 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Let the kid play matches before having any kind of opinion

We had already lost the cup when we decided to go with Thala and rayudu , Jadeja,we have invested(wasted) a lot of time on these Dead bats,a farmer too needs atleast 5-6 months to grow a decent crop,but people here are expecting too much from someone who is too raw and who was not supposed to be in the side for a so called erstwhile great, isn't that inequity??had thala and rayta played yesterday we couldn't have crossed 320

wtf are you guys talking about, he is raw,dont put too much expectations. On one hand you want him to replace players and on other hand also want to not expecting anything from him. Really ?

I may be in minority with this POV but I expect him to take the games away or show that he is capable of doing that. Otherwise I must say the likes of Iyer should not have been snubbed the way he was after certain number of chances.

Rayudu is an issue, he shoudnt be there but Pant has not been convincing enough as well. You guys must not be having any expectations , I was and hence disappointed.

1 hour ago, SK_IH said:

wtf are you guys talking about, he is raw,dont put too much expectations. On one hand you want him to replace players and on other hand also want to not expecting anything from him. Really ?

I may be in minority with this POV but I expect him to take the games away or show that he is capable of doing that. Otherwise I must say the likes of Iyer should not have been snubbed the way he was after certain number of chances.

Rayudu is an issue, he shoudnt be there but Pant has not been convincing enough as well. You guys must not be having any expectations , I was and hence disappointed.

You are among many who expect too much from a 5 match old "pro", i too expect pant belt hundred in every match but doesn't mean i will reject him just because he didn't do enough to match my expectations and that too in mere 5 matches,

I also will be  one of the first persons who will criticize him if he continues too perform like what you say

Infact i don't even consider him the sole heir to dhoni

Kishan is there but these guys need time to settle in, there have been many Indian greats(not that im saying they are going to be the greats of the game ,at this point of time)who took time to unleash their skill sets..

Edited by Suhaan
37 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

You are among many who expect too much from a 5 match old "pro", i too expect pant belt hundred in every match but doesn't mean i will reject him just because he didn't do enough to match my expectations and that too in mere 5 matches,

I also will be  one of the first persons who will criticize him if he continues too perform like what you say

Infact i don't even consider him the sole heir to dhoni

Kishan is there but these guys need time to settle in, there have been many Indian greats(not that im saying they are going to be the greats of the game ,at this point of time)who took time to unleash their skill sets..

There is not even a point regarding rejecting him or expecting 100 every match, stop putting words into my mouth. This is a simple case of not making enough impact vis-a-vis the hype around his insane talent. I am not only talking about ODIs, it includes T20s as well.

This Ind side is already battling a flawed middle order and there is no luxury of easing a youngster in. 

Feel very sorry for him. He is getting so much flake on Instagram and Twitter. Instagram is full of abuse on his account. Should have been drafted way earlier in ODI setup but still this is international cricket where one expects him to do the basic things right. I am afraid that He may miss ticket to WC as back up keeper on the basis of yesterday's performance.

6 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

There is not even a point regarding rejecting him or expecting 100 every match, stop putting words into my mouth. This is a simple case of not making enough impact vis-a-vis the hype around his insane talent. I am not only talking about ODIs, it includes T20s as well.

This Ind side is already battling a flawed middle order and there is no luxury of easing a youngster in. 

Not putting anything in your mouth,its just obvious

Do you carry any magic ball ,is this your profecy that pant or any youngster be it any(iyer,agrawal) can't cement his place?

How can you judge this early,im making this point again and again as your words are repeatedly conveying the same meaning

2 minutes ago, Suhaan said:

Not putting anything in your mouth,its just obvious

Do you carry any magic ball ,is this your profecy that pant or any youngster be it any(iyer,agrawal) can't cement his place?

How can you judge this early,im making this point again and again as your words are repeatedly conveying the same meaning

Again you have brought in a point not germane to this discussion. Where have I predicted the youngsters can't cement their position infact I stated in OP, Vijay Shankar has grabbed the opportunity so far.

Let's agree to disagree here 

3 minutes ago, SK_IH said:

Again you have brought in a point not germane to this discussion. Where have I predicted the youngsters can't cement their position infact I stated in OP, Vijay Shankar has grabbed the opportunity so far.

Let's agree to disagree here 

Cool, brother

No point, to debate here

But i would have liked two contenders for the keeping gloves Pant and Kishan

To keep both of them on their toes

Edited by Suhaan
1 minute ago, Suhaan said:

Cool, brother

No point, to debate here

But i would have liked two contenders for the keeping gloves Pant and Kishan

To keep both of them on their toes

And I feel both can be at their best opening the batting.

Mark my word  pant and shaw are our future superstar(Both belong to very humble family and have been  through a rough period  in their  life)  After virat i saw same hunger  in shaw eyes, these Rahul, gill all are just show phoney,they are just likeflash in the pan type  players

Edited by VT87
5 hours ago, SK_IH said:

You didn't really understand the gist of the thread before going on with this post. It is not my contention that he becomes Kohli or a finished article but an insane talent has to justify the tag sooner or later. It's been always the case of now he ll deliver , today he might click but he always flatter to deceive.

I understood the post and I say you are jumping the gun with your assessment of Pant. 

21 year old, 4 ODI matches, 1 DNB, 3 innings out of which 2 came at the fag end when he had to throw his bat around. You sure you aren't being harsh on the kid? Not to forget his direct competitor is someone with huge reputation and fanbase, a superstar of Indian cricket thereby more pressure. 

How can you say he isn't hungry enough? How can one be hungry enough for 1 format and lax in another? Same Pant has 2 test 100s in SENA, more than most keepers in the history of the sport and that too in his 1st season in international cricket. You can say he hasn't yet developed the formula for white ball cricket, that he hasn't adjusted to the tempo/pace of LOIs...but hunger, seriously?

Regarding your comment about Vijay Shankar, why can't we just appreciate him rather than using him to show Pant in poor light? Some adjust sooner, some take time to mature. Too early to make a call. Besides Shankar is 28 years old, has more List A experience and looks like someone who is a mature head. 

I think my post which you quoted was illustrative of the fact that all Indian star batsmen took time to mature from 'talent' to 'mainstay'. Your posts in this thread are too impulsive, maybe they would have had more weight if Pant was still struggling after a run of 40 continuous ODIs, not 4 !!!!