Indian team have mismanaged Rishabh Pant's LOI career so far

sandeep

He should have been unleashed in situations where he could bat carefree.  He should have been tried at the top of the order.  He should have been given a proper back to back run for at least a dozen games before the WC.  None of this was done.  

The elitism, and the "senior" "junior" divide and caste system in Indian cricket is there for all to see - at least those who care to see it.  Make it into the "senior" caste, and your LOI spot in the team is a lock, measured in seasons and years.  If you are in the "junior" caste, you will forever play on a short rope, jerked around all over the batting order at the whim of the captain, who will do anything and everything to "back" his favorites.  Whether that's dropping a Pujara for a Rohit in test cricket, or playing Rahane in T20s when everybody and their grandpa knows that Jinxy doesn't belong in a topshelf T20 team.   

Ironically, I'm not even a huge Pant fan in LOIs - not yet anyway.  But there is a right way to set up a young up and coming player's pathway into LOI cricket, and there's a wrong way.  

Post-Nidahas, DK should have been given a proper run in the team - it was clear that he can provide the boundary hitting that our ODI team needs in the lower order, and he's a decent back-up to Dhoni with the gloves.  But no.  He was given a smattering of games, a stutter at a time.  Talk about putting players in positions to succeed.  This is the textbook opposite of that.  Whether its a Dinesh or a Rishabh.  

Edited by sandeep
1 minute ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

only pant's:phehe:

List is long

Rahul

Shankar- who is not given a proper slot n role despite showing good perfomances

Their is a reason players regd dhoni n ganguly for backing them through thick n thin

That's what I meant with the junior-senior caste system.  And Virat is a massive culprit on this.  

Just now, The Dark Horse said:

Once DK started performing consistently, they removed him from no. 4. Once Shankar managed a string of decent scores, they shunted him down the order. This all seems to be done to accomodate preferred players rather than the deserving ones. This is easily one of our worst series defeats ever, deservingly so!

DK never performed at no.4

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

@sandeep I remember a few of your foreboding essay posts about our flawed strategy in the 1st PP, time to bump them as well. This nonsensical strategy of consolidating and holding on till late is another clusterfukc by the team think tank. 

i was one of them to open those posts but i wud change my opinion stating rohit n dhawan are our best options , if a change was to be done it a new pair shud have been given some time

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
Just now, Ankit_sharma03 said:

i was one of them to open those posts but i wud change my opinion stating rohit n dhawan are our best options 

Right now yes but had we changed the strategy a while back, maybe by sending Rahul to open our approach to the game would have been very different now. We have boxed ourselves into a corner now where this flawed approach is the only viable one.  

10 minutes ago, sandeep said:

Completely misunderstanding the purpose of the thread.  And ignoring the fact that I'm not a big believer in Pant as an ODI player - and have said so repeatedly.  

Dude they are not going to babysit him. Either you take your chances or there are 10 other people who are ready to take his spot. Obviously seniors(Virat,Rohit,Dhawanand Dhoni)ll be treated differently. They are proven match winners and I agree with whole DK thing. Should never been dropped in first place. 

Edited by Rasgulla
Just now, SK_IH said:

Yep he has for sure, but even in these limited opportunities Pant had a chance like today but he has fluffed them as well. He is a work in progress.

It took our other greats 40-50 matches to settle down, in some cases more. Let's have patience with these guys, anyway WC dream is more or less over. Prepare for 2023. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Right now yes but had we changed the strategy a while back, maybe by sending Rahul to open our approach to the game would have been very different now. We have boxed ourselves into a corner now where this flawed approach is the only viable one.  

the problem with changing also is Dhawan n rohit cant bat anywere else and they have to good a record in last few yrs to be dropped . Big players wont be dropped unless they have a long bad patch 

1 minute ago, gattaca said:

To be honest pant needs to take his time. He can’t go bang bang from ball 1. He did that in test and got out. If you see the last test match, He took his and he scored century. 

he will only learn if he plays more thats what this TM n kohli failed to do....these guys shud have been playing 2 yrs ago n by now they wud have been exp. Ppl criticized dhoni for giving rohit kohli regular games before 2015 Wc when he rotated sehwag, sachin n gambhir but that was right.....he had a plan. Ganguly backed sehwag n yuvraj to end despite supreme inconsistency from them .

Kohli was busy flipping his brains every series

how will a player learn from sitting on bench, failure is the biggest teacher. Kohli has to allow youngsters to fail properly n learn. Kohli became a better player after 2014 poor eng tour