What is your realistic take of India’s chances against each team this WC?

maniac

Put your patriotism and jingoism aside. Also try not to be superstitious or go the jinxing route.

This is not about what you want but what your gut feel tells you.

Strange things happen like losing to Pak and SL In CT or tie with Afghanistan in Asia cup.

Infact sure Pak is not a pushover or at the same time a legendary team but no one saw that drubbing in the final. 

Afghanistan- should be an easy win for India

Srilanka- Should be an easy win for India

Bangladesh- Will be a challenge but expect India to pull this one off

Pakistan- 50- 50 anyone’s game- Not super-confident. Have a bad feeling about this though.

South Africa- India should win. SA has a fragile middle order and they can’t play spin. Also their LOI bowling is nothing what it once was.

WI- Have a feeling This one will be an upset with WI going over. India on paper are overwhelming favorites but think this one will be advantage WI.

Australia- I think after this series, Aussies have the mental edge and momentum. Australia wins.

Nzl- I was pleasantly surprised by the drubbing we gave Nzl but think this time they will be better prepared to handle Kul-Cha as they always raise their game in WC’s and feel they want it a lot more this time.

England- England will win. It is going to be a batting shoot out and they have to be the favorites. They got better dealing with Kul-Cha as the series progressed last time too.

Things looking bleak. What is your take?

Edited by maniac

As posted on “how many games Ind will win thread” 

* Favs vs subcon teams (95% to 55% depending upon the opposition)

* 50-50 vs WI and SA 

* Eng, NZ and Aus will start as fav against us (80% to 60% depending upon opposition) 

Have to be careful of SL, WI and SA, who could sink our boat 

Edited by zen

You need three fast bowlers to do well in the world cup. If Bhuvi, Shami and Bumrah have to play who is dropping out.Pandya cannot be expected to do much after his back injury.

This Indian team is so unbalanced team, they have the weakest middle and lower middle order of all teams.

I won't be shocked if they won't make semis.

Edited by putrevus
Just now, zen said:

As posted on “how many games Ind will win thread” 

* Favs vs subcon teams (95% to 55% depending upon the opposition)

* 50-50 vs WI and SA 

* Eng, NZ and Aus will start as fab against us (80% to 60% depending upon opposition) 

Have to be careful of SL, WI and SA, who could sink are boat 

SA should not be a problem, if we think our middle order is fragile they are worse.

On English pattas, their bowling should be easy for our batsman who like true bounce and like to hit through the line, their spinners including Tahir should not be a major problem for us.

Srilanka bowling again is in our ball park.

Scared of WI because they have players with X factor and on their day they can demolish our team. They are decent  players of spin as well which is our strength.

Obviously stranger things have happened, I am just going by what is happening in world cricket right now. 

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

SA should not be a problem, if we think our middle order is fragile they are worse.

On English pattas, their bowling should be easy for our batsman who like true bounce and like to hit through the line, their spinners including Tahir should not be a major problem for us.

Srilanka bowling again is in our ball park.

Scared of WI because they have players with X factor and on their day they can demolish our team. They are decent  players of spin as well which is our strength.

Obviously stranger things have happened, I am just going by what is happening in world cricket right now. 

In bilateral games, you would expect stronger sides to triump playing against the same opposition .... In round robin formats where you play a team once, it depends upon performance on the day .... and WI and SA have players to pick up their game on the day. SL not as much but can be more dangerous relative to BD. I would not write any major team completely off 

(Do not just use bilaterals to judge things. Teams like NZ, for e.g., punch above their weight in ICC events esp in SENA / outside subcon) 

Edited by zen
7 minutes ago, zen said:

In bilateral games, you would expect stronger sides to triump playing against the same opposition .... In round robin formats where you play a team once, it depends upon performance on the day .... and WI and SA have players to pick up their game on the day. SL not as much but can be more dangerous relative to BD. I would not write any major team completely off 

(Do not just use bilaterals to judge things. Teams like NZ, for e.g., punch above their weight in ICC events esp in SENA / outside subcon) 

India has had some nail biters with Bangladesh in LOIs. Pretty much every game has gone down to the wire.

Yeah Srilanka can pull a bunny out of the hat like against us in CT or against SA but I am

solely going based on the quality of the team.

We can say oh it’s a shoot out anyone can beat anyone, there is no fun in that, obviously trying to predict based on current team, current events, pitches,opposition etc etc

Ind is one of top teams in ODI cricket. Just because Aus won this series people have put them on the pedestal of favourites and Ind have been degraded to be a fringe player in the tournament.

There is 2 months time before the WC and these WC are mostly about being in form on a roll during that time. Every team has issues, so does Ind.

However Ind has lots of quality as well. Ind won't be push overs in the WC , infact will be one of the team's to beat.

On topic, games against EngI,Aus and NZ would be the toughest, where in I have least faith in beating Eng.

India making semis for sure

Edited by SK_IH

Gut instinct, no logic and hence won't explain. 

Group stage-

Easy win against Afg, Ban, Lanka, Eng, RSA

Tough win (last over thriller) against Pak, WI

Lose against Aus, NZ fairly tamely

We will finish 2nd or 3rd in the group and qualify for semis to take on either Eng or Oz. Kohli will win toss and elect to field and we will get a thrashing for the ages, even CT F will pale before it. If we run into Eng they will score 400-450 courtesy a massive choke by the bowlers, then proceed to win by 250-300 runs. Top 3 will fail in the crucial match like always, Kohli will once again prove what an overhyped ODI bat he is and I will request mods to lock that joke Viv-Kohli thread for good. Dhoni will as usual play a pointless innings like WC 2015 SF and plod away to a worthless 60, @velu will open 679 threads about how Dhoni has to come back in test team and also lead the team in ODIs/T20s. The ICC tourney drought will continue. 

Edited by Gollum

My expectations are cratering fast not because of batting which we cant do anything about now but our bowling which has shown that they just suck so badly on flat pitches with no plan,no changes of pace and length.its shocking that IPL has not prepared them to bowl on flat pitches and the majority of the pitches we will see in the WC will be really flat.

* Assuming Kohli for once will read the pitch properly and select appropriate 11 and openers are in at least decent form.

Sure wins: Afg (theiir spinners wont be effective), WI (Both of our batting may be good but our bowling is superior), NZ (I dont think they will do well against spin this time as well), SA (Even when they were having great players, they lost against us in Eng)

Potential banana skins: Sub continent teams Bang, SL, Pak..We are better than them so if we play by full potential we can easily win but if we are complacent we can be easily beaten by these teams.

Tough to win: Eng

Sure to lose: Aus

Edited by Sonix768
6 hours ago, cowboysfan said:

My expectations are cratering fast not because of batting which we cant do anything about now but our bowling which has shown that they just suck so badly on flat pitches with no plan,no changes of pace and length.its shocking that IPL has not prepared them to bowl on flat pitches and the majority of the pitches we will see in the WC will be really flat.

Least worried about bowling. The Rat would be augmented by Dhoni and Rohit as well. The use and management of 5th-6th bowler would be crucial. Ind has been bowling out opposition lately even on flat tracks.

Its just Virat has to make up his mind about playing 2 wristys or not.

Afghanistan- should be an easy win for India

Srilanka- Should be an easy win for India

Bangladesh-  easy win for us 

Pakistan-  Indian win ,boys will be up for it

South Africa- India should win. SA has a fragile middle order and they can’t play spin. Also their LOI bowling is nothing what it once was.

WI- Have a feeling windieswill smash us.

Australia-  India will beat them this time 

Nzl- think nzl will nick this one,Indian batting is clueless against Henry and boult 

England- England will win.