Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Singh bling

Mumbai foot overbridge collapse live: Five dead, several injured

Recommended Posts

BMC and the railways passing the buck on to each other. An "independent" auditor okayed this bridge in Sep 2018. Tells you about the level of deep rooted systemic rot.

 

BMC has ruined Mumbai. The only elections that really matter to the people of Mumbai are the BMC elections and the last time the BJP came very close to wresting control from the SS. Anyone but SS for the BMC, who have destroyed this beautiful city in their 25+ year tenure.

 

Edited by Mariyam

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, velu said:

 

quality and standards are low because contractors wants to milk as much money as possible ..

True, but also incomptency from government inspection bodies and third party inspectors/surveyors (who are corrupt and easily bribed).

 

You've have thousands of small contractors and manufacturers claiming to.be ISO 9001 Quality Management Systems and everybody knows in India these are easily.obtainable by paying small bribes to so called certification bodies and their agents in India

 

Big Foreign companies/buyers don't trust certification of Indian manufacturing companies unless certified by credible agencies (mainly based in developed countries)

 

That's why the Made In India campaign is so hollow, no one is held accountable for adhering to quality standards. And majority of Indian consumers are too stupid to realise the rubbish quality they are buying as long as it's cheap

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Straight Drive said:

And probably the officials are asking the share of profits as well from contractors.

At least 30-40% goes as bribes.  Contractors are stuck between corruption at every step and are hardly making anything.  Expecting quality when you have to pay 40% bribes is insane.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An insane level of corruption goes on in BMC.

 

Last monsoon, this happened:  https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/loose-soil-triggers-panic-about-another-landslide-near-mumbai-s-wadala-building/story-5x2uTVzolJ6djek2BwrtXJ.html

 

If high society buildings where tiny flats cost crores are at the risk of landslide, one can only expect bridges collapsing & restaurants without fire exits. 

 

There was an assistant engineer for road construction. He got into a dispute with his wife and the filth came out in public. Apparently he's got many flats worth 15 crores & then ran coaching class during office hours: https://mumbaimirror.indiatimes.com/mumbai/cover-story/bmc-engineer-who-ran-coaching-classes-and-owns-nine-flats-in-city-found-guilty/articleshow/61955460.cms

 

There was also one jerk politician who went about modifying the ground floor of his building randomly which led to it's collapse: 

https://www.hindustantimes.com/mumbai-news/ghatkopar-building-collapse-bmc-says-alterations-by-shiv-sena-s-sunil-shitap-to-blame/story-fopPz4n7jKiYdAtqOuD5XM.html

 

 

No wonder the city suffers on a daily basis, glad to have left it & hoping that I never end up moving back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This isn't just BMC, it happens in every city or Panchayat level. You can try fighting against it but then you disappear overnight or worse, like what happened to that anti graft activist a few years back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

At least 30-40% goes as bribes.  Contractors are stuck between corruption at every step and are hardly making anything.  Expecting quality when you have to pay 40% bribes is insane.

What? Contractors are the real corrupt forces who feed the government officials (high level ones) .final money gets sanctioned from the government ministry which is scaled very high during tendering by the respective department ,the estimated amount comes very high (taking into account contractor's profit ,bribes etc ) which is why contractors use low quality inputs.

 the payment happens in phases,

Normally once they get 80-90 percent of the payment they run away with finishing still remaining 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2019 at 6:51 PM, Adi BB said:

What? Contractors are the real corrupt forces who feed the government officials (high level ones) .final money gets sanctioned from the government ministry which is scaled very high during tendering by the respective department ,the estimated amount comes very high (taking into account contractor's profit ,bribes etc ) which is why contractors use low quality inputs.

 the payment happens in phases,

Normally once they get 80-90 percent of the payment they run away with finishing still remaining 

That's not how it happens because of tender system and high competition. Govt invites tenders and lowest bidder get the contact. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks like audit firm personals arrested. All bridges to be audited again. BMC officials trying to lay complete  blame to auditors. But BMC officials are still not out of law enforcement personnel. Hooe some BMC gets prison too as they are the real culprit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mishra said:

Looks like audit firm personals arrested. All bridges to be audited again. BMC officials trying to lay complete  blame to auditors. But BMC officials are still not out of law enforcement personnel. Hooe some BMC gets prison too as they are the real culprit 

Real culprit(s) run all the way to High Level Politicians/Ministers actually.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, fineleg said:

Real culprit(s) run all the way to High Level Politicians/Ministers actually.

Don’t mix stuff. Office corruption and political corruption are two different things. Its just that office guys are smart while political guys can’t hide it.

 

Just a example, a engineer in Noida was caught with over 1000 crore  worth of property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×