Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Harsh Thakor

Which was the best innings ever by a batsmen in the world cup against the great West Indies pace attack?

Which was the best innings ever by a batsmen in the world cup against the great West Indies pace attack?  

14 members have voted

  1. 1. Which was the best innings ever by a batsmen in the world cup against the great West Indies pace attack ?

    • Zaheer Abbas 93 in 1979
    • Mohsin Khan 70 in 1983
      0
    • Mohinder Amarnath 80 in 1983
    • Majid Khan 81 in 1979
    • Krishnamachari Shrikanth 38 in 1983
    • Yashpal Sharma 89 in 1983
      0
    • Gundppa Vishwanath 75 in 1979
    • Alan Lamb 67 in 1987
      0


Recommended Posts

The most lethal attack in terms of pure pace in the history of world cup cricket was that of the mighty West Indies.In the history of the game no pace attack brutalised or intimidated opponents more literally grounding them to the size.In 1979 ,1983 and partially 1987 they were virtually a terror.Imagine facing the likes of Roberts,Holding,Garner,Marshal,Croft etc all together and later Walsh,Gray and Paterson.Reminiscent of a bomber raiding an airbase.A batsmen would have to play right out of his skin to dominate them like a counter-attack of an army batallion .It put almost every batting line up into the depths of despair.In this list below I am ranking in order of merit the best innings in a world cup against the great Calypso pace quartet.

 

 

Best innings in cricket world cup against great West Indies pace quartet ranked in order of merit..

 

 

1.Gundappa Vishwanath's 75 at Edgbaston in 1979

 

 

 

 

2.Zaheer Abbas's 93 at the Oval in semi-final in 1979

 

 

 

 

3.Mohinder Amarnath's 80 at the Oval in 1983

 

 

 

 

4.Mohsin Khan's 70 in semi-final at the Oval in 1983

 

 

 

 

5.Majid Khan's 81 at the Oval in semi-final.

 

 

 

 

6.Krishnamachari Shrikanth's 38 in final in 1983 lat Lords.

 

 

 

 

7.Alan Lamb's 67 at Gujranwala in 1987

 

 

 

 

8.Yashpal Sharma 89 in 1983

 

 

 

 

Placed Vishwanath's 75 at the top considering the situation of the game,the nature oif the wicket and the level of domination.Artistry at it's supreme height.

 

 

Zaheer Abbas's innings was simply poetry in motion taking the Calypso pace battery to the sword in a 166 run partnership with Majid Khan.Placed below Vishy's 75 as it was scored on a very flat track ,perfect for batting.

 

 

 

 

Mohinder Amarnath played the role of alone warrior when defying the West Indies at the Oval ,hooking and driving with great precison.Supreme mastery.

 

 

 

 

Mohsin Khan revealed technical skill in regions of the sublime when scoring 70 out of 184 on the fastest of tracks.Resembled a surgeon performing an operation.

 

 

 

 

Majid was overshadowed at the Oval by just a shade but neverthless played agreat innings in his own right.

 

 

Krishnmachari Shrikanth missed out on a 50 but displayed some of the most dazzling nad exquisite strokes ever displayed in a world cup or any ODI tournament final.Above all won the cup for India.

 

 

 

 

Alan Lamb  revealed his supreme crafstmanship in a run chase steering his team home to a  3 wicket win .Earlier England were  were in dire straits with 91 required of the last 10 overs  with 4 wickets left and 34 of the last 3.Improvisation at it's ultimate zenith combined with great mental resilience.

 

 

 

 

Yashpal Sharma displayed nerves of steel enabling India to be the 1st ever team to upset West Indies in the history of the world cup.Thus contributed to making history.

 

 

Edited by Harsh Thakor

Share this post


Link to post

Kris Srikkanth hands down closely followed by Yashpal Sharma.

 

That square drive of Andy Roberts is probably one of the iconic moments that changed the landscape of Indian and world cricket. It started a chain reaction of iconic moments that followed like  Sandhu's inswinger and Kapil's catch and finally the lbw of Holding.

Edited by maniac

Share this post


Link to post

Srikkanth's knock in the final, pretty simple choice really because it was the top score in a low scoring final against 2 time defending champs....and batting was tough that day, really damp pitch.  

 

As @maniac said, that square drive of Roberts on one knee that sent a tracer bullet towards Tavern stand was epic, IMO the most iconic shot in Indian (ODI) cricket history and one of the most special shots seen in WC history. 

 

Simon Barnes wrote a nice article about that shot.

A shot of hope: An imagination-embellished stroke that turned the course of the 1983 World Cup final

 

cheeka.jpg.a7cec832771905a2acffe368b1b4308e.jpg

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
9 minutes ago, MechEng said:

Bhai by great pace quartet Harsh meant something significantly better than Rampaul/Sammy/Pollard/Bravo. 

 

UV's was a fine knock because we were precariously placed that time (previous 2 matches were * ups against Eng/RSA) and struggling on a not so flat pitch. But Cheeka top scored on a cold, overcast morning on a damp pitch against the quartet of Roberts/Marshall/Garner/Holding. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

The most lethal attack in terms of pure pace in the history of world cup cricket was that of the mighty West Indies.In the history of the game no pace attack brutalised or intimidated opponents more literally grounding them to the size.In 1979 ,1983 and partially 1987 they were virtually a terror.Imagine facing the likes of Roberts,Holding,Garner,Marshal,Croft etc all together and later Walsh,Gray and Paterson.Reminiscent of a bomber raiding an airbase.A batsmen would have to play right out of his skin to dominate them like a counter-attack of an army batallion .It put almost every batting line up into the depths of despair.In this list below I am ranking in order of merit the best innings in a world cup against the great Calypso pace quartet.

 

 

Best innings in cricket world cup against great West Indies pace quartet ranked in order of merit..

 

 

1.Gundappa Vishwanath's 75 at Edgbaston in 1979

 

 

 

 

2.Zaheer Abbas's 93 at the Oval in semi-final in 1979

 

 

 

 

3.Mohinder Amarnath's 80 at the Oval in 1983

 

 

 

 

4.Mohsin Khan's 70 in semi-final at the Oval in 1983

 

 

 

 

5.Majid Khan's 81 at the Oval in semi-final.

 

 

 

 

6.Krishnamachari Shrikanth's 38 in final in 1983 lat Lords.

 

 

 

 

7.Alan Lamb's 67 at Gujranwala in 1987

 

 

 

 

8.Yashpal Sharma 89 in 1983

 

 

 

 

Placed Vishwanath's 75 at the top considering the situation of the game,the nature oif the wicket and the level of domination.Artistry at it's supreme height.

 

 

Zaheer Abbas's innings was simply poetry in motion taking the Calypso pace battery to the sword in a 166 run partnership with Majid Khan.Placed below Vishy's 75 as it was scored on a very flat track ,perfect for batting.

 

 

 

 

Mohinder Amarnath played the role of alone warrior when defying the West Indies at the Oval ,hooking and driving with great precison.Supreme mastery.

 

 

 

 

Mohsin Khan revealed technical skill in regions of the sublime when scoring 70 out of 184 on the fastest of tracks.Resembled a surgeon performing an operation.

 

 

 

 

Majid was overshadowed at the Oval by just a shade but neverthless played agreat innings in his own right.

 

 

Krishnmachari Shrikanth missed out on a 50 but displayed some of the most dazzling nad exquisite strokes ever displayed in a world cup or any ODI tournament final.Above all won the cup for India.

 

 

 

 

Alan Lamb  revealed his supreme crafstmanship in a run chase steering his team home to a  3 wicket win .Earlier England were  were in dire straits with 91 required of the last 10 overs  with 4 wickets left and 34 of the last 3.Improvisation at it's ultimate zenith combined with great mental resilience.

 

 

 

 

Yashpal Sharma displayed nerves of steel enabling India to be the 1st ever team to upset West Indies in the history of the world cup.Thus contributed to making history.

 

 

Why you feel temptation of putting so many Pakistani especially batsmen in top 10 , when there are several great inning played by various other nations players in WC . I mean how the hell you missed Viv rechards century, tendulkar 98 against Pakistan, Brian Lara century against SA in 96 quarterfinal. Arvinda De  Silva  century while chasing against 96 WC final, DE Silva  50 against India in WC96. Gilchrist century against sl in final. Steve Wagh century against SA in 99 WC. Symonds century against Pakistani in 03 WC. I mean there are so many but all you have to showcase is Mohsin khan and Majid khan inning other than Inzmam fluke inning in 92 WC SF and final, none of the Pakistanis deserve in this list . I have observed this trend where you place 3-4 Pakistani batsmen in any kind of batsmen list I mean who the hell consider Pakistani batsmen in their list it's like putting 4-5 Indian bowlers in every bowling lists.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, bahubali said:

Why you feel temptation of putting so many Pakistani especially batsmen in top 10 , when there are several great inning played by various other nations players in WC . I mean how the hell you missed Viv rechards century, tendulkar 98 against Pakistan, Brian Lara century against SA in 96 quarterfinal. Arvinda De  Silva  century while chasing against 96 WC final, DE Silva  50 against India in WC96. Gilchrist century against sl in final. Steve Wagh century against SA in 99 WC. Symonds century against Pakistani in 03 WC. I mean there are so many but all you have to showcase is Mohsin khan and Majid khan inning other than Inzmam fluke inning in 92 WC SF and final, none of the Pakistanis deserve in this list . I have observed this trend where you place 3-4 Pakistani batsmen in any kind of batsmen list I mean who the hell consider Pakistani batsmen in their list it's like putting 4-5 Indian bowlers in every bowling lists.

Apologize the thread talk about Against WI. Still the context which I mentioned still applies that you are obsessed with Pakistani cricketers.

Share this post


Link to post
13 hours ago, Gollum said:

Bhai by great pace quartet Harsh meant something significantly better than Rampaul/Sammy/Pollard/Bravo. 

 

UV's was a fine knock because we were precariously placed that time (previous 2 matches were * ups against Eng/RSA) and struggling on a not so flat pitch. But Cheeka top scored on a cold, overcast morning on a damp pitch against the quartet of Roberts/Marshall/Garner/Holding. 

I'm kidding man! In fact I should have mentioned AB D's knock in 2015 WC where he hit half of his sixes with ramp shot to yorkers.

 

That was a great innings because it hammered senses into WI cricket team that they must improve or get kicked out of international cricket :p: AB D played a big role in reviving WI cricket! 

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, MechEng said:

It's limited overs/pyjama cricket for immigrants. Not as white as a 5 test series.

I didn’t knew only asians were allowed to play knocks against Windies in wc

Edited by mishra

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, mishra said:

I didn’t knew only asians were allowed to play knocks against Windies in wc

That's what I'm saying! The WC or limited overs cricket is too Asian or say hot for the whites. Unlike tests which are bland and extremely organized, which eventually suits them. Combined by the fact that all tests are attended by the gentry, Geoffrey Boycott clones with them getting emotional every time when a batsman defends a ball at 15 runs off 257 balls.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×