Shreyas Iyer: "I am just waiting for my chance."

Shreyas Iyer India

Shreyas Iyer is doing all a player could do to break into the Indian team. The right-hander has been one of the most consistent batsmen in domestic cricket for quite some time now. In the recently-concluded Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy, he amassed 484 runs at an average of 60.5 and a very impressive strike-rate of 152.50. During the course of the tournament, he also scored two centuries including a 55-ball 147 against Sikkim which is the highest score by an Indian in the shortest format of the game.

lg.php?bannerid=0&campaignid=0&zoneid=41However, all those performances with the bat have not changed his fortunes as far as earning a recall from the Indian team is concerned. Iyer has so far played just six ODIs and managed to leave a mark in those limited chances by playing knocks of 88 and 65. However, Shreyas has now fallen down the pecking order, having last played an ODI way back in February last year.

Iyer, who is gearing up to lead Delhi Capitals in the upcoming IPL season, has now said he didn’t get enough chances to showcase his potential at the highest stage of the game. “Yeah, I felt that way. If there was some other player in place of me, he would have also felt disappointed. Your eventual goal is to play for your country. I was disappointed when I was dropped and didn’t get fair enough chances,” Shreyas told The Times of India (TOI). “But when you look at the TV and see your team winning, it gives a lot of satisfaction. That is more important.”

Shreyas was given a lifeline when the selectors named him in the squad for the T20I series against Windies at home and the series in Australia. He, however, did not play a single game before the selectors surprisingly dropped him for the ODI series in Australia and the succeeding tour of New Zealand.

Iyer further said that he is willing to bat any position if given an opportunity. “I back myself at any number. I am just waiting for my chance,” he said. “I am doing really well in every tournament. I am enjoying my cricket and not thinking about the selection process.

Selection is not in my hands. My job is to perform and I’m doing that. Anything can happen (in the future), you can get a random call from the selectors that you’ve been selected for the World Cup.”

Iyer for number four:

Recently, Delhi Capitals head coach and former Australia skipper Ricky Ponting said that India should try out Iyer to end their number four woes. With India’s several experiments backfiring, Ponting feels Iyer could be the man for that spot.

“They tried a few even during the recent Australia series. Rayudu was there, Rishabh, Shankar. They could have also have tried Shreyas Iyer. He is a very good player. He has had a great domestic season. I am excited to catch up with him. It’s an interesting conundrum; maybe, they can fit in KL Rahul in that spot,” Ricky Ponting was quoted as saying in an interview.

5 hours ago, jusarrived said:

He’s not that good anyway . One of those players who bullies domestic bowlers but short of international standards 

5 hours ago, jusarrived said:

He’s not that good anyway . One of those players who bullies domestic bowlers but short of international standards 

How do you know, he has only played 6 ODIs. Should at least be givena run has earned it

11 hours ago, jusarrived said:

If that's their impression of him then they should look to develop him further. Along with 'A' tournaments, have him play domestic cricket overseas. Pointless scoring runs in Indian conditions where you've already proven yourself.

6 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

If that's their impression of him then they should look to develop him further. Along with 'A' tournaments, have him play domestic cricket overseas. Pointless scoring runs in Indian conditions where you've already proven yourself.

5 hours ago, GautiMaan said:

Played only 5 innings and has knocks of 88 and 65,atleast give him a chance to fail so that everyone can move on

12 hours ago, Sooda said:

How do you know, he has only played 6 ODIs. Should at least be givena run has earned it

This is based on having him watched both domestic and for India . Hes obviously not the most technically sound batsmen around ,which is fine ..but hes not even a clean hitter . Limited array of shots and when he plays its mostly cross batted , cant see him score against quality fast bowlers . 

That said he deserves a run , based on the form hes shown in domestic it was unfair to drop him after a few games ..

He has done well to decent. I don't think he has been that bad. His statements are coming left and right since he is a youngster and media tends to hype youngsters. Its otherwise pretty common.

Its not like he hasn't backed up his words, he has played some brilliant knocks against touring sides of Australia too in longer format.

I think after the World Cup, the guy deserves a run at sometime. 

Put yourself in their shoes sometimes, and realize what it means to them. They don't have any job. All they do is play cricket and look for incentive out of it and if they have scored runs for a while, they are feeling that some reward is around the corner. Iyer has done well in the past and that is why he got picked for India, it wasn't out of the blue the the got picked. He earned it that time.

So yes, may not be the best talent around, he has amassed plenty of runs to get a chance in the near future. 

15 hours ago, Cricketics said:

He has done well to decent. I don't think he has been that bad.

I think he has done more than that. Not sure why people underrate him. Probably because he hasn't taken the IPL by storm yet. He's absolutely dominated domestic cricket though, being among not just the highest run getters but also smashing the most sixes in the tournament. For India 'A' since 2016, Iyer averages 42.59 in 55 matches, aggregating 2087 runs 12 half-centuries and four hundreds, which are pretty good numbers.

He has the attacking game that we desperately need in our middle order right now. If they didn't want him to be part of the international team, they should have had him play domestic 50-over cricket in England, South Africa, Australia, New Zealand etc. Whoever were willing to play him, with the idea of getting him used to playing limited overs cricket in foreign conditions. There are certain players BCCI need to target for certain formats, and develop them accordingly.