Hijab is not a sign of Modesty, but the sign of Discrimination and Insult against the Slaves and Humanity

Alam_dar

Hijab was not introduced in Islam for modesty reasons, but for discrimination and extreme insult and inhuman behaviour against the slave women. Real facts are:

* Islamic Sharia allowed only the "free" women to wear Hijab and cover their chests.

* While if any "slave" women took the Hijab, then the Government officials used to beat them and used to take Hijab away from their heads and made their chests again naked.

* Caliph Umar used to beat the slave girls personally for taking Hijab, while telling them that Hijab is only the "right" and "honour" of the free Muslim ladies.

All authentic and approved Islamic theology and Shariah legal texts, agree upon these points.

Let us see the proofs.

Quran 33:59:
O Prophet! Tell thy wives and daughters, and the believing women, that they should cast their outer garments over their persons (when abroad): that is most convenient, that they should be known (that they are free women) and not molested. (Translation by Yousuf Ali)

Under the commentary of this Verse, all Muslim authorities like Abu Malik, Abu Saleh, Qatadah, Kalbi, Muawiyyah, Hassan, Siddi, Mujahid etc. unanimously wrote that this verse was revealed while people of Madina (i.e. companions) used to sit on the side of the streets and used to molest all the women who passed from there. But later they stopped to molest the free women (while the molestation of the slave girls continued), while they were using the Hijab and thus people recognised them as free Muslim women. (Reference: Tafsir-e-Tabari verse 33:59 where all these traditions are present)

— Tafsir Abd al-Razzaq al-Sanani (d. 211 AH/826 CE) (link):

عبد الرزاق عن معمر عن الحسن قال كن إماء بالمدينة يقال لهن كذا وكذا كن يخرجن فيتعرض لهن السفهاء فيؤذوهن لأنه فكانت المرأة الحرة تخرج فيحسبون أنها أمة فيتعرضون لها ويؤذونها أخبرنا فأمر النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم المؤمنات أن يدنين عليهن من جلابيبهن ذلك أدنى أن يعرفن من الإماء أنهن حرائر فلا يؤذين
Translation:
Al-Hassan al-Basri (died 110 Hijri year) said: Slave women in Medina used to be told certain things when they went outside. (One night) some foolish people accosted a group of women and bothered (or hurt) them because they thought they were slave women, but they were actually free women. Because of this, the Prophet ordered the believing women to cast their jilbabs upon themselves, so they would be distinguished as free women, and known from the slave women, and not bothered.

While explaining the background of this verse Ibn Kathīr, the celebrated commentator of the Qur'ān, records the opinion of Suddī in the following words :

Tafsir Ibn Kathir, Commentary of Verse 33:59 (link):

كان ناس من فساق أهل المدينة يخرجون بالليل حين يختلط الظلام إلى طرق المدينة فيعرضون للنساء وكانت مساكن أهل المدينة ضيقة فإذا كان الليل خرج النساء إلى الطرق يقضين حاجتهن فكان أولئك الفساق يبتغون ذلك منهن فإذا رأوا المرأة عليها جلباب قالوا هذه حرة فكفوا عنها وإذا رأو المرأة ليس عليها جلباب قالوا هذه أمة فوثبوا عليها

Translation:
The mischief-mongers among the people of Madīnah would come out on the streets at dusk and get after the women of the Ansār. The houses of the people of Madīnah [in those days] were very small in size and at nightfall the women would go out on these streets [making their way to the fields] to relieve themselves. These evil people would tease and molest these women. While if they saw a woman who would be wearing a cloak, they would say she is a free woman [and not a slave] and would abstain [from molesting her] and if they saw a woman who would not be wearing a cloak [in the way prescribed by the Qur'ān],they would molest her by saying that she is a slave woman.

Then Ibn Kathir records further the opinion of Mujāhid in the following words:

يتجلببن فيعلم أنهم حرائر فلا يتعرض لهن فاسق بأذى ولا ريبة
These women would wear cloaks [in the way prescribed by the Qur'ān] so that it be known that they are free women and the mischief-mongers would not then harm or molest them.

This is a dirty dirty thing where Muhammad's Allah didn't rebuke these mischief-mongers (who were actually Companions), but instead of this gave them a license in one way or another to harass and molest the poor slave women. 

Note:

Before the revelation of this verse, all the women (free or slave) didn't use to cover their chests, but used to move in the society with naked chests. Ibn Kathir writes in commentary of verse 24:31 (link):

... (women of that time) would pass in front of men with their chests completely uncovered, and with their necks, forelocks, hair and earrings uncovered. So Allah commanded (only) the believing free women to cover themselves (while the slave women still stayed with no Hijab and their chests were naked).

Difference between "Khimar" and "Jilbab"

Khimar was a big garment sheet/cloak, which free Muslim women used to put on their head and cover their face, throat and chest. Only free Muslim women were allowed to use Jilbab.

While Khimar was a small head scarf (like the one Arab people use today to cover their heads). It was allowed for the slave women to wear this traditional Khimar on head, but no Jilbab, and they were compelled to let their chests naked.

Umar Ibn Khattab used to beat salve girls for taking Jilbab (Hijab)

According to the Sahih (authentic) traditions, Umar Ibn Khattab used to beat the slave girls for taking Jilbab (Hijab), by telling them that Hijab is only the "right" and "honour" of the free Muslim women.

Grand Saudi Mufti Albani recorded in his book Arwa al-Ghalil this Sahih (authentic) tradition (link):

أخرجه ابن أبي شيبة في " المصنف " ( 2 / 82 / 1 ) : حدثنا وكيع قال : حدثنا شعبة عن قتادة عن أنس قال : " رأى عمر أمة لنا مقنعة فضربها وقال : لا تشبهين بالحرائر " . قلت : وهذا إسناد صحيح
Translation:
Imam Ibn Shaybah recorded in his book al-Musanif (link) that Umar Ibn Khattab saw a slave girl wearing Muqna (small Jilbab type cloak). Upon that Umar beat her and told her not to try to become equal to the free Muslim women.

This same tradition has also been recorded by Ibn Qalaba (link).

And Imam Abdul Razzaq (d. 211 hijri year) recorded (link):

عبد الرزاق عن معمر عن أيوب عن نافع أن عمر رأى جارية خرجت من بيت حفصة متزينة عليها جلباب أو من بيت بعض أزواج النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم فدخل عمر البيت فقال من هذه الجارية فقالوا أمة لنا – أو قالوا أمة لآل فلان – فتغيظ عليهم وقال أتخرجون إماءكم بزينتها تفتنون الناس
Translation:
Umar once saw a young girl leaving the house of Hafsa (his daughter), adorned with a jilbab — or, from one of the houses of the Prophet’s wives. Umar entered the house and said, “Who is this girl?” They said, “A slave of ours” — or, a slave of someone’s family. He became enraged at them and said, “Your slave girls left with their adornment, and created discord (fitna) amongst the people.” (while they were not able to recognise her as slave girl).

Imam Shaibani (died 189 Hijri year) wrote in his book Al-Mabsoot, vol 3, page 7 (link):

ولا ينبغي للرجل أن ينظر من أمة غيره إذا كانت بالغة أو تشتهي مثلها أو توطأ إلا ما ينظر إليه من ذوات المحرم ولا بأس بأن ينظر إلى شعرها وإلى صدرها وإلى ثديها وعضدها وقدمها وساقها ولا ينظر إلى بطنها ولا إلى ظهرها ولا إلى ما بين السرة منها حتى يجاوز الركبة
Translation:
It is not permissible for a man to look at a slave woman other than his own, if she has reached puberty (baligha), or he has a desire for her, except what it is permissible to look at from his relatives (maharam). So, there is no harm that he look at her hair, her chest, her breasts, her arm, her foot, or leg. And he does not look at her stomach or back, or what is between the navel and the knees.

And Abdul Razzaq recorded from Ibn Jarih (died 150 Hijri year) Link:

عبد الرزاق عن بن جريج قال بلغني عن أشياخ من أهل المدينة أن الخمر على الإماء إذا حضن وليس عليهن الجلابيب
Translation:
Ibn Jarih says that according to the Scholars of Madina, when the slave girl started to mensturate, then she used to take the Khimaar (small head scarf) on her head, but was not allowed to take the Jilbab (which covered the naked chest, throat and face).

And Albani, the grand Saudi Mufti, wrotes in his book Irwaa al-Ghalil (link):

حدثنا على بن مسهر عن المختار بن فلفل عن أنس بن مالك قال: " دخلت على عمر بن الخطاب أمة قد كان يعرفها لبعض المهاجرين أو الأنصار , وعليها جلباب متقنعة به , فسألها: عتقت؟ قالت: لا: قال: فما بال الجلباب؟! ضعيه عن رأسك , إنما الجلباب على الحرائر من نساء المؤمنين , فتلكأت , فقام إليها بالدرة , فضرب بها رأسها حتى ألقته عن رأسها ".
قلت: وهذا سند صحيح على شرط مسلم.
Translation:
Companion Anas bin Malik said: Once a slave woman of any Muhajir of Ansar came to Umar Ibn Khattab while wearing Jilbab (long garment sheet, which was used to cover the naked chest). Umar said: "Have you been set free?" She replied: "No," Upon that Umar said: "They take off the Jilbab from the head while Jilbab is reserved only for the free Muslim women. " The slave woman took some time to take it off. Upon that Umar stood and started beating her with the stick. 

Conclusion:

If only Muslim women (who take Hijab today) come to know about this Truth, then they would themselves leave this Hijab, which is not a sign of modesty, but a sign of extreme discrimination and insult to the slave women. 

Unfortunately, Mullahs are very successful in hiding the true face of Islam. 

It is our duty to make world aware of the true face of Islam, so that humanity could win. 

2 hours ago, velu said:

probability of @Alam_dar getting stoned increases day by day :fear: 

And this is the worst part. 

Even if some one is not insulting any Islamic personality, but only criticizing Islam is enough for Muslims to issue the fatwa of Blasphemy and kill the person by using this lame excuse. 

Good thing is this that killing people like me is going to make no difference any more, while Media has become so fast, that it is impossible to stop this criticism. 

Only way left for Muslims is to answer this criticism with their own proofs (if they have any). 

Up till now I have not seen any proofs from the Muslim side, but they start only abusing, or start threatening to kill. I don't think this is going to solve problems for them. 

And this is the worst part. 

Even if some one is not insulting any Islamic personality, but only criticizing Islam is enough for Muslims to issue the fatwa of Blasphemy and kill the person by using this lame excuse. 

Good thing is this that killing people like me is going to make no difference any more, while Media has become so fast, that it is impossible to stop this criticism. 

Only way left for Muslims is to answer this criticism with their own proofs (if they have any). 

Up till now I have not seen any proofs from the Muslim side, but they start only abusing, or start threatening to kill. I don't think this is going to solve problems for them. 
Whenever I read your posts I am reminded of Nash from "A beautiful mind".

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

I always believed Islam and the 7th century Arabs were not only the most racist and misogynist but also the most insecure when it comes to sexuality and women. Thanks for proving my point.

It also proves that most of the known world at that time were civilized enough to have women wear some form of top. This fits into the narrative that Islam made the women more modest (by inventing a fooking piece of cloth that others have invented years ago). This makes the Arabs on the same level as tribes untouched (pun intended) by civilization.

Muslims wonder how could divine Allah not rebuke those people in Quran for molesting the slave girls, but in some sense granting them the license to molest them?

And I have to tell them that there existed no Divine Allah, but Muhammad created the character of Allah himself, and thus Muhammad ordered many more such shameful things which are impossible from a Divine Creature. For example:

* Muhammad (or his invented character of Allah) also allowed the Muslims to rape the prisoner girls in name of slavery. 

* Muhammad (or his invented character of Allah) also allowed the Muslims to even rape the prisoner girls the same night, after killing their fathers/brothers/husbands/sons in the war.

Is there any thing more tyrant than this when the father/sons/brothers/husband are slaughtered of a woman, and she is compelled to have sex on the same night? 

Just look at this tradition to see the trauma of such girls:

The History of al-Tabari, vol.8, page 122 (Link):

Safiyyah  was brought to Messenger of God, and another woman with her. Bilal, who was the one who brought them, led them past some of the slain Jews. When the woman who was with Safiyyah saw them, she cried out, struck her face, and poured dust on her head. When the Messgner of God saw her, he siad, "Take this she-devil away from me!" 

Among these two women, Safiyyah was a beautiful woman, and Muhammad took her as his wife the next day after slaying his father,brother and husband. And that is what happened:

The History of al-Tabari, Volume XXXIX (39), p. 185:

While the Prophet was lying with Safiyyah (the next night after killing her husband/brother and father), the companion Abu Ayyub stayed the night at his door. When he saw the Prophet in the morning he said "God is the Greatest." He had a sword with him; he said to the Prophet, "O Messenger of God, this young woman had just been married, and you killed her father, her brother and her husband, so I did not trust her (i.e. he feared that she could harm him)." The Prophet laughed and said "Good". 

I don't think any thing could surpass this tyranny. 

Edited by Alam_dar

18 minutes ago, mishra said:

One qq. Why Muslim are only allowed to marry three times? When Prophet Muhammed had allegedly 11 wives? Or was he married 3 times only?

I think you mean why Muslim man are allowed to marry only 4 wives, while Muhammad himself married with 11 wives?

Am I right?

To answer your question:

(1) Muhammad had not only 11 wives, but he also had 23 slave women. 

(2) Very important point to note, Muhammad put the limit of 4 wives in 4th Hijri year (after migrating to Madina). 
It was due to the reason that Muhammad had himself only 4 wives at this time. 

This was the time when Muslims lost the battle of Uhad, and things were not looking so good for them. 

At that time Muhammad revealed the verses in name of Allah, that only 4 wives are allowed for the Muslim men. This limitation of 4 wives was also for Muhammad too at that time. 

(3) But after the war of Trench (5th Hijri year), the situation became good for Muslims while Muslims won the war against Meccans, and also they attacked the Jewish tribe of Banu Qurayzah and killed all the men, and got a lot of women prisoners from there. 

(4) Moreover, another incident also took place at the same time when Muhammad went to see his adopted son Zayd. But he was not present at home, and his wife Zaynab was naked at home and Prophet saw her in this state (Reference: History of Tabari). 

At that time Muhammad fall in love with Zaynab, the wife of his adopted son. 
When Zayd came to know about it, he divorced his wife so that Muhammad could marry her. 

Thus Muhammad did the drama of revelation of 2 Verses from Allah:

* The first verse was this that adopted sons are not your real sons. Thus marriage with their divorced wife is allowed.

* And 2nd verse was this that limitation of 4 wives has been "abrogated" for Muhammad, and now Muhammad was allowed to marry more women. 

* After the revelation of these 2 verses, Muhammad married Zaynab, and then other women too. Muhmmad's age was 55 to 59 years at that time when he married his 5th wife to 11th wife. And none of these wives were old, but all of them were young and beautiful women. 

If you wish, then I could write the whole article with all the related references. Just let me know. 

^ No, My question is not about rape and victims. My question is about fact and logic? How 11 = 3
Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) married mostly widows who needed help and shelter. He is pious and very kind. As Afridi (may Allah make his heart even larger) would say he had a big heart.

9 minutes ago, Alam_dar said:

I think you mean why Muslim man are allowed to marry only 4 wives, while Muhammad himself married with 11 wives?

* The first verse was this that adopted sons are not your real sons. Thus marriage with their divorced wife is allowed.

* And 2nd verse was this that limitation of 4 wives has been "abrogated" for Muhammad, and now Muhammad was allowed to marry more women. 

No, I believe you. I thought Muslims were allowed 3 wives. thankss for correcting 4 wives.

On lighter note, there  are 4 chambers in heart. Each chamber can accommodate one. NP.

But my question is only partially answered. Logic part? How do current Priest/Islamic experts justify 11=4 ?

Edited by mishra

6 minutes ago, nikred said:

Prophet Mohammed (PBUH) married mostly widows who needed help and shelter. He is pious and very kind. As Afridi (may Allah make his heart even larger) would say he had a big heart.

Thats fail logic. But either there husbands were killed, Aisha wasnt even married, and none were widow or without shelter before Muhammad appeared in their life

10 minutes ago, mishra said:

No, I believe you. I thought Muslims were allowed 3 wives. thankss for correcting 4 wives.

On lighter note, there  are 4 chambers in heart. Each chamber can accommodate one. NP.

But my question is only partially answered. Logic part? How do current Priest/Islamic experts justify 11=4 ?

Muslims make this excuse that Allah abrogated the limit of 4 wives upon Muhammad, while he had to marry other women from other tribes for political reasons. 

I went through all their arguments, but they are not satisfactory and not fulfil the criteria of justice. 

1) After first 4 marriages, Muhammad married Zaynab bint Jahsh. She was a beautiful woman and her story I described in the post above. There was no political reason to marry her. 
Muslims say that Muhammad married her in order to show Muslims that adopted sons are not your real sons. But in this case it would have been enough for Muhammad to declare it orally, and there was no need to practically see her naked and then fell in love and then to marry her. 

2) Then Muhammad married beautiful woman Juwayriah. 

Her tribe was already killed by Muhammad and none was left among them who could have challenged Muhammad politically. And Juwayriah was intially the slave of other 2 Muslims, till one day she came to Muhammad, and Aisha didn't like that she meet Muhammad while she feared the beauty of Juwayriah. 

When Muhammad saw Juwayriah, he immediately offered her if he marries her then he will set her free from the slavery. She accepted the offer. 

3) Then Muhammad married Saffiyah. Again his father, brother, husband were slain by Muhammad along with all the men of his tribe and there was none left who could have challenged Muhammad politically. 

Saffiyah was very young (17 years old, while Muhammad was 56 years old at that time). And she was very beautiful. 

Initially another companion got Saffiyah as the war booty. But when Muhammad saw the beauty of Saffiyah, then he bought her from another companion by offering her 7 slave girls in exchange. 

4) Then comes Umm Habiba. Again she was young and a beautiful women (reference: Sahih Muslim) and there was no political reason to marry her while she had already been a Muslimah for a long time. And the marriage took place after the victory of Mecca when Muhammad already had got all the political control.

5) Then came other less known wives of Muhammad like Maria and some others who died soon in the life time of Muhammad. 

6) Muhammad married only 2 old women (Khadija and Sawda). 
Khadija was his first wife, and she was very rich, while Muhammad was very poor at that time.

And 2nd wife of Muhammad was Sawda. At that time Muhammad was in Mecca and in very bad situation while people of Mecca turned against him. At that time Muhammad needed a woman to look after his household and small children (Fatima). Sawda married him and helped him with all these challenges. 
But when Muhammad got other beautiful wives later in Madina, then Muhammad again played the Drama of revealing a new Verse which gave Muhammad the right to divorce any of his wife without any reason. 

Due to this threat of divorce, Sawda gave her turn (night turn) to beautiful and young Aisha, and asked Muhammad not to divorce her in that old age. Muhammad accepted her proposal.

Actually it was an injustice against the poor Sawda. She served Muhammad well, but Muhammad wanted to divorce her for being old. 

@Mariyam

Well, I understand human sentiments and I know that it may hurt you to read about Hijab issue, and I don't want to hurt you in any way. 

Still I am curious to know how the Muslim WOMEN react about this issue of Hijab and nakedness of the slave girl in the Sharia. 

Therefore, if you think you could provide us with feedback without being offended or hurt, then I would be thankful. 

Bhai, I know how Muslim girls are from India. One of my divorced Muslim woman friend, She is very humourous and very nice and now, she is dating a Hindu boy 10-15 years younger than her.

When I asked her smilingly what is she doing. She responded me back. "Main kya karoon. Vohee mere peechhee ayaaa. Mujhako lagaa bichare bachchee ko pyar chaihiye."

So Burqa an all is far away from quite a lot of Indian Muslim girls. They arent that religious.

Edited by mishra

Bhai, I know how Muslim girls are from India. One of my divorced Muslim woman friend, She is very humourous and very nice and now, she is dating a Hindu boy 10-15 years younger than her.

When I asked her smilingly what is she doing. She responded me back. "Main kya karoon. Vohee mere peechhee ayaaa. Mujhako lagaa bichare bachchee ko pyar chaihiye."

So Burqa an all is far away from quite a lot of Indian Muslim girls. They arent that religious.
Come to Hyderabad, I will take you on a trip to old city.