Jump to content
puneet28

Ishant Sharma eyes fourth pacer's slot in India's World Cup squad

Recommended Posts

Ishant, however, feels that it's a "perception" surrounding him that he is only a Test bowler. The 30-year-old is banking on a good performance in the upcoming Indian Premier League (IPL) to break into India's ODI set-up and also earn a place in the World Cup squad as the fourth pacer.

 

"I'm a positive guy and always think something good is going to happen. I have opportunities to avail in this IPL. The Indian team is still looking for a fourth seamer. Hopefully, I am the fourth seamer in that World Cup team," Ishant said during an open media session of IPL franchise Delhi Capitals

 

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/cricket/icc-world-cup/ishant-sharma-eyes-fourth-pacers-slot-in-indias-world-cup-squad/articleshow/68458629.cms

 

Too many media interactions for number 4 batsman and fourth bowler by dusted players

Share this post


Link to post

First Ashwin and now this guy. Ishant "unlucky" Sharma thinks he is a test bowler. I have mixed emotions of laughter and anger. He is the worst bowler to have played 50+ tests. He is soon to become the only 100+ test bowler with the worst stats. If it wasn't for his boyfriend who is also a captain, he would've been banished years ago. I also recollect him throwing a hissy fit when Dhoni wanted to drop him. So Dhoni kept picking him to show that he's not biased. He gave him a long rope to hang himself.

 

But with Kohli becoming captain, he thinks his place in the test team is secured. Now he wants to get into the ODI squad as well :facepalm:. My memories of him playing in the IPL is him getting struck for a hat trick of sixes by Anirudha Srikkanth :hysterical:

Share this post


Link to post

I think he's got some hint ,which allows him to make such statements,

He does know there are two-three free loaders already there in that stale middle order ,why not him having a royal time pass there,lets start the rot in bowling too!

Share this post


Link to post

Its crazy to think how few of these players who haven't been in the limited overs side for quite some time now are giving these statements one after the other. Ishant Sharma has been out of ODI team since Jan 2016. May be him not being part of any Indian WC squad in his career is kicking him inside & making him eye for the 4th seamer spot.

Edited by Turning_track

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

First Ashwin and now this guy. Ishant "unlucky" Sharma thinks he is a test bowler. I have mixed emotions of laughter and anger. He is the worst bowler to have played 50+ tests. He is soon to become the only 100+ test bowler with the worst stats. If it wasn't for his boyfriend who is also a captain, he would've been banished years ago. I also recollect him throwing a hissy fit when Dhoni wanted to drop him. So Dhoni kept picking him to show that he's not biased. He gave him a long rope to hang himself.

 

But with Kohli becoming captain, he thinks his place in the test team is secured. Now he wants to get into the ODI squad as well :facepalm:. My memories of him playing in the IPL is him getting struck for a hat trick of sixes by Anirudha Srikkanth :hysterical:

oh did not know kohli is captaining since 2008.

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Prefer Ishant over the likes of Kaul, Unadkut, Dhawal etc. At least he has some credentials in ODI cricket. 

and he can take wickets whenever conditions are a bit helpful.  Selectors missed a trick by not inducting Navdeep Saini.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Stan AF said:

Man look at all the topics in the front page of this section. :laugh:

 

Hanuma vihari targets#4

Rahane wants ODI spot

Pant for#4

Shreyas iyer expecting WC spot

Ashwin I'm no slouch in white ball.

 

An unsettled team encouraging loudmouths. 

Except the Rahane one, all the others are justified. Vihari, Pant, Iyer are candidates for #4 considering the current options we have. Ashwin was phenomenal in the previous 2 WCs and has pedigree even in white ball cricket. Ishant isn't the worst option as 4th seamer considering MSK will most likely pick Kaul or Unadkat for that role. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post

He isn't that bad specially if compared with Kaul or Khaleel or even Umesh. He was wicket taker in odis only issue was his death bowling. If he is picked as 4th seamer then he will only play when conditions are overcast and i guess he will be most lethal option + he won't have to bowl in death as we will have other 2 pacer with him. If you use him properly he is good option + he is consistent as well.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, mishra said:

Long time back when I predicted, Ishant will be back, people laughed at me. 

 

In England, His short and wide deliveies aren’t that hittable because of swing and bounce

he does not bowl short and wife anymore

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

he does not bowl short and wide anymore

Yes he doesn't. His Selection can be reasonably justified based on his test match performance and previous tours although the sole reason is Kohli

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, mishra said:

Yes he doesn't. His Selection can be reasonably justified based on his test match performance and previous tours although the sole reason is Kohli

two things.

 

test match pitch, test season, and test match game rules vs ODI pitch, ODI season, game rules. There are lots of variables.

 

Ishant wont proably play, TM knows what we do not. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

IAfter seeing his performances against MI & CSK i am almost convinced.

He certainly possesses that hunger. His ego has been bruised after getting dropped in white ball formats.

He was quick. 140+

Mainly he's taking wickets like in Test matches.

 

Ishanth will do well in england in this form.

 

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is our lucky charm :(  He was with us when we won CT 2013. Probably would have enjoyed a slightly bouncier pitch. His inswingers could have been handy. 

Selectors ne 4th pacer hi nahi select Kiya. KLPD for Ishant.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Shaz1 said:

Woah this dude is still 30?

No age fudging there. He made his debut when he was 19. 12 years is a long period. 30 year old and 320 days is still. 30 year old. Same way 19 year old 200 days is still 19 year old. He was closer to 20 when he made debut  but still 19. He is now closer to 31 but still 30.  

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/18/2019 at 3:56 AM, Pollack said:

hasn't really set the world on fire ever in oDIs

Neither in tests, he's seriously the luckiest bowler ever to play as many test as  he did. I'm stuggling to count the number of MoM this guy had in tests, or even match turning spells :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

Yes. But still older than Shahid Afridi who's about 18 yrs old as of today.

Mashallah Subanallah

 

Thanks to Almighty Allah our youngsta beauty Afridi is still ready to serve his country.

 

1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

No age fudging there. He made his debut when he was 19. 12 years is a long period. 30 year old and 320 days is still. 30 year old. Same way 19 year old 200 days is still 19 year old. He was closer to 20 when he made debut  but still 19. He is now closer to 31 but still 30.  

I remember when he first came out he was seen as this tearaway bowler who was gonna change Indian cricket for good. Little did he know there were better bowlers yet to come. If you look at him now he is no where near the level of the current crop. It feels like he has been here forever. His impact feels very minimal. He should be leading the attack but the guy is clearly not good enough to do that in ODI’s.

Edited by Shaz1

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Mashallah Subanallah

 

Thanks to Almighty Allah our youngsta beauty Afridi is still ready to serve his country.

 

I remember when he first came out he was seen as this tearaway bowler who was gonna change Indian cricket for good. Little did he know there were better bowlers yet to come. If you look at him now he is no where near the level of the current crop. It feels like he has been here forever. His impact feels very minimal. He should be leading the attack but the guy is clearly not good enough to do that in ODI’s.

He is not exactly a smart guy. Never learnt the art of setting up a batsman like Zaheer khan, Bumrah, Shami.

Share this post


Link to post
20 minutes ago, Shaz1 said:

Mashallah Subanallah

 

Thanks to Almighty Allah our youngsta beauty Afridi is still ready to serve his country.

 

I remember when he first came out he was seen as this tearaway bowler who was gonna change Indian cricket for good. Little did he know there were better bowlers yet to come. If you look at him now he is no where near the level of the current crop. It feels like he has been here forever. His impact feels very minimal. He should be leading the attack but the guy is clearly not good enough to do that in ODI’s.

He did not live up to the expectations but what he did was bring indian fast bowling in the limelight and that Indians were able to bowl 150+. Look at it as a transition phase. Post him came Umesh and Aron who were legit express pace bowlers. 

He has worked hard offlate and his record in test is not bad.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, Rightarmfast said:

He did not live up to the expectations but what he did was bring indian fast bowling in the limelight and that Indians were able to bowl 150+. Look at it as a transition phase. Post him came Umesh and Aron who were legit express pace bowlers. 

He has worked hard offlate and his record in test is not bad.

His current form is not that bad. Complementing Bumrah/Shami very well. INfact he bowled in the IPL after a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

He is not exactly a smart guy. Never learnt the art of setting up a batsman like Zaheer khan, Bumrah, Shami.

I won’t lie I have mad respect for Zaheer Khan on  how he carried himself. To me him going to County Cricket and coming back as a changed bowler was the turning point for him and Indian fast bowling. This guy showed you don’t express pace to trouble batsmen. You can focus on good line and length to take out batsmen. As for Ishant I felt early on in his career he showed lots of potential. Over time he became a tried and tested bowler. The guy from what I see is doing well in Test cricket. In ODI’s he is not needed cause you got better options. You guys need a express pace bowler. What ever happen to Yadav?

 

2 hours ago, Rightarmfast said:

He did not live up to the expectations but what he did was bring indian fast bowling in the limelight and that Indians were able to bowl 150+. Look at it as a transition phase. Post him came Umesh and Aron who were legit express pace bowlers. 

He has worked hard offlate and his record in test is not bad.

I never understood why India had such trouble producing one? I mean we Pakistanis and Indians are the same race. We got literally no limitations. But I do see your point. Its just my point is he is a senior bowler. Usually bowlers around his age are peaked. He won’t be that bowler Zaheer was remembered as.

Share this post


Link to post

One reason Ishant survives more than others is he is one of the very injury free bowlers going around. He is a bit like Agarkar who rarely got injured in his career. 

 

Since the day Ishant made debut 

 

Peformance of Indian fast bowlers. As you can see he hardly had any competition. Look at the Kumars, Nehras, Pathans. Ishant sharma has a strike rate that is only bettered by Bumrah and Shami.  Also his average is better than Zak, Kumar, Nehra, Sreesanth etc.  He was a bit like Agarkar. Can look mediocre at times. But he was taking wickets.

 

 

9q7KZiQ.png

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

One reason Ishant survives more than others is he is one of the very injury free bowlers going around. He is a bit like Agarkar who rarely got injured in his career. 

 

Since the day Ishant made debut 

 

Peformance of Indian fast bowlers. As you can see he hardly had any competition. Look at the Kumars, Nehras, Pathans. Ishant sharma has a strike rate that is only bettered by Bumrah and Shami.  Also his average is better than Zak, Kumar, Nehra, Sreesanth etc.  He was a bit like Agarkar. Can look mediocre at times. But he was taking wickets.

 

 

9q7KZiQ.png

Well thanks to this I was able to know how to read Bowling averages and strike rate. Good stuff. This gives a clear picture of where Ishant stands. Must say I am impressed. Never knew he was this good.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

One reason Ishant survives more than others is he is one of the very injury free bowlers going around. He is a bit like Agarkar who rarely got injured in his career. 

 

Since the day Ishant made debut 

 

Peformance of Indian fast bowlers. As you can see he hardly had any competition. Look at the Kumars, Nehras, Pathans. Ishant sharma has a strike rate that is only bettered by Bumrah and Shami.  Also his average is better than Zak, Kumar, Nehra, Sreesanth etc.  He was a bit like Agarkar. Can look mediocre at times. But he was taking wickets.

 

 

9q7KZiQ.png

the second best bowler on the list, along expected lines, is the fearsome STR Binny - Destroyer of Banglas.

Share this post


Link to post
56 minutes ago, Vijy said:

the second best bowler on the list, along expected lines, is the fearsome STR Binny - Destroyer of Banglas.

probably would have suited for English conditions as his dad was the highest wicket taker in 1983 world cup.

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

probably would have suited for English conditions as his dad was the highest wicket taker in 1983 world cup.

these pitches were v. different from 1983. the current pitches were not absolute roads, but they were mostly batting friendly. high pace (> 140) was a must in this WC if one looks at most of top wkt takers. someone like binny sr or jr would be taken to the cleaners.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...