Big-hitting openers watch thread

zen

Big-hitting openers of major teams are shaping up well:

• WI: Gayle had a good series vs Eng and did well in the first IPL game
  • Aus: Warner played a brisk knock vs KKR. Finch is bullying Pak 
  • SA: de Kock had a good series vs BD and started out positively for MI vs DC 
  • Eng: performances have been good 
  • NZ: Guptill lacks desired consistency at the moment but can be a handful on his day. NZ may need to pull its socks 

Ind is struggling at the moment. The openers (Rohit and Dhawan) are neither getting big scores consistently nor getting off the blocks quickly. Rohit does not show much game awareness as well. 

As for other big hitters: 

• Pant did well for DC. In fact, appeared to be in a different league. DC should try to bat him higher in the order 
  • Pandya needs to be given a decent run in IPL by MI to find good hitting form. May be bat him higher too to find some form as he has been in and out. It is understandable that he is returning from an injury but should look to bowl his 4 overs consistently to build a good rhythm 

Right now, it appears as teams are playing like an inverted pyramid:

the_inverted_pyramid_FI-600x314.png

• Where top order tries to bat for most. Which means risks are minimized 
  • But 30 of 30 balls is not going on cut in, esp. on batting friendly tracks where your bowlers are usually at risk. As Pant inning showed, it could be more about how an impact player takes the game away on his day 

I guess, teams need to try play like a diamond on good batting surfaces:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3hEuSsyCMftidO28b4IJ

• Where the openers are seeking to set the tone with 10 wkts in hand 
  • If wkts do not fall, they continue with the mayhem 
  • If wkts fall, MO plays like how our openers currently play to set it up for acceleration towards the end 
  • Basically, have at least one aggressive opener. a versatile 3-4-5, and strong hitters at 6-7

1 hour ago, The Dark Horse said:

Diamond, pyramid...

can't dumb it down further .... thought it would be easier for me to explain and for others to understand but alas! :((

Edited by zen

@zen i agree with your theory but the problem with this Indian side is they have imbibed this culture of batting wherein there is a set template. You just look at that chase of MI on Sunday. Even in a chase of 215, the Hitman was in a getting set mode and wasting early overs. 

We are stuck with pathetic outdated approach and boring as well I may add

5 hours ago, SK_IH said:

@zen i agree with your theory but the problem with this Indian side is they have imbibed this culture of batting wherein there is a set template. You just look at that chase of MI on Sunday. Even in a chase of 215, the Hitman was in a getting set mode and wasting early overs. 

We are stuck with pathetic outdated approach and boring as well I may add

Yeah, 14 of 12 when the RRR at the start was 10+  was bad 

On the other hand, openers of some of the other teams are gearing up well and also playing exciting cricket