A question for cs folks

MechEng

What are the most important AI skills to learn? Even though AI is not related to my field, I'm thinking of taking a machine learning course online with probably python language. AI might be a necessary skill for all engineers irrespective of branch.

Also, are there any good do it yourself projects?

AI is broad and consists of machine learning and deep leaning. The deep learning concept is gold. It’s almost like replicating human Brian it’s similar to nuerons talking to each other and making Decisions. In deep learning You train models and you feed to algorithms which figure out the decisions. The current hardware improvements have made this possible. Pick what you like though. I personally like autonomous drone with collision avoidance in drones it has physics concepts of the flight path of drone, mechanics and electronics to make it work. The drone hardware plus cameras to calculate flight path and chart a collision avoidance path. You can do autonomous cars for the rcs. The thing is you need to like the concept and what to work on. If you have this passion you can pick it up if not do not pursue it. Only pursue if you like it. Coursera has good courses on this. You can start a seven day trial and see how it goes. I have seen people with mechanical background do PHDs in AI though. Again follow your passion. It will need good effort to invest in learning and working on this. You will not be limited to mechanical but need to brush on few concepts of physics , computers(matlab and programming) and electronics.

Edited by gattaca

1 hour ago, gattaca said:

AI is broad and consists of machine learning and deep leaning. The deep learning concept is gold. It’s almost like replicating human Brian it’s similar to nuerons talking to each other and making Decisions. In deep learning You train models and you feed to algorithms which figure out the decisions. The current hardware improvements have made this possible. Pick what you like though. I personally like autonomous drone with collision avoidance in drones it has physics concepts of the flight path of drone, mechanics and electronics to make it work. The drone hardware plus cameras to calculate flight path and chart a collision avoidance path. You can do autonomous cars for the rcs. The thing is you need to like the concept and what to work on. If you have this passion you can pick it up if not do not pursue it. Only pursue if you like it. Coursera has good courses on this. You can start a seven day trial and see how it goes. I have seen people with mechanical background do PHDs in AI though. Again follow your passion. It will need good effort to invest in learning and working on this. You will not be limited to mechanical but need to brush on few concepts of physics , computers(matlab and programming) and electronics.

Thanks. Yes my uni does have a unmanned vehicle lab, but the issue here is funding which is why most folks avoid PhD. Not all PhD aspirants are guaranteed a TA/ RA position. Money is the biggest constraint in US education.

I'm not really passionate about anything right now to be honest, passion is a very strong emotion. But my priority to learn AI skills is to adapt to the changes in job market.

1 hour ago, MechEng said:

Thanks. Yes my uni does have a unmanned vehicle lab, but the issue here is funding which is why most folks avoid PhD. Not all PhD aspirants are guaranteed a TA/ RA position. Money is the biggest constraint in US education.

I'm not really passionate about anything right now to be honest, passion is a very strong emotion. But my priority to learn AI skills is to adapt to the changes in job market.

Don't get swayed with the media hype. Most of the real world still works with core skills. The niche ones are good to have but strength in core areas generally ensures employment, i'm ignoring the visa stuff.

Edited by Clarke

5 hours ago, velu said:

gone are the days when cs guys survived with just C ..

i survived 6/7 years with just c .. then forced to learn java for android/ios

c is like a sharp knife ..

38f40500c0d3678567de3f38d86e31e92ed540fd

I guess if you're good at c then other programming languages should be very easy to pick up. 

Edited by MechEng

6 hours ago, Clarke said:

Don't get swayed with the media hype. Most of the real world still works with core skills. The niche ones are good to have but strength in core areas generally ensures employment, i'm ignoring the visa stuff.

True, I guess it won't take less than 500 years from now to have robots doing lab experiments without any human supervision. Till then fundamental understanding of traditional engineering concepts will remain necessary. 

I am still thinking of doing basic machine learning stuff for the sake of adding diversity to my resume.

Edited by MechEng

On 3/26/2019 at 2:10 AM, MechEng said:

What are the most important AI skills to learn? Even though AI is not related to my field, I'm thinking of taking a machine learning course online with probably python language. AI might be a necessary skill for all engineers irrespective of branch.

Also, are there any good do it yourself projects?

You are wasting your time in all this.

Just do Dua.

The only AI that matters is Allah!

On 3/28/2019 at 12:15 AM, Mariyam said:

You are wasting your time in all this.

Just do Dua.

The only AI that matters is Allah!

You're not wrong actually. Do watch few videos on simulation theory by Elon Musk to get my point.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:38 AM, Cricketics said:

Also if you can, lookninto some design and technology courses. I just enrolled into these in Uni and wil be starting in fall for research study. 

Its ideal if you want to show it to big companies on your resume. 

I won't be buying those certificates. They cost like $300 if it's from an ivy league school. Instead complete the course for free and search online for some do it yourself projects and attempt them.

35 minutes ago, MechEng said:

I won't be buying those certificates. They cost like $300 if it's from an ivy league school. Instead complete the course for free and search online for some do it yourself projects and attempt them.

I thought you were doing undergrad and it will be part of your electives. The one I was talking about ste dull fledged innovation projects classes where and part of a degree program and not any certificates and you are all hands on. But yeah, its only needed or helps you with your degree and relates to the work you want to do and if Design is not something one intends to get his hands dirty in, then its waste of money and time. Its good for many who want to mix their cs skills with designing modern innovative AI projects. All depends really what you want to do down the line.