**** the "Spirit of the game"

bones

Some things which have always bugged me abouit cricket but the top 2 are:

1. Play within the spirit of the game.

2. The benefit of the doubt must go to the batsmen.

Why play to the spirit of the game when you have a set of rules to play to. The rules say x or y, but you're supposed to play to the spirit? Makes no sense to me. In any other walk of life we adhere/abide by rules/laws that govern not the spirit or some sh*t like that.

As for the benefit of the doubt going to the batsmen, I always used to ask this to the guys I played with, why can't the benefit of the doubt go to the fielder or bowler? The response was always batsmen only get one chance whereas fielders and bowlers get further opportunities. Seems like more codswallop that WG Grace probably came up with so he could continue batting.

Just an old fashioned value that carried over from cricket's colonial origins but are no longer pragmatic now. There's too much at stake now to let go of anything that can help to win. The gentleman of cricket's early days played for fun. They were not highly paid full time cricketers. 

Upholding spirit of the game also means  keeping high ethical standards .... Winning by hook or crook (conning) is not applicable to any sport. If you do that even in gully cricket frequently, people may stop playing with you .... Match fixing is to be avoided too 

Edited by zen
8 minutes ago, zen said:

Upholding spirit of the game also means play playing with high ethical standards .... Winning by hook or crook (conning) is not applicable to any sport. Match fixing is too be avoided too 

bit rich coming from gujju :phehe: 

It should start and end with Rules of Games. Spirit of games in day and age of technology and Camera isnt needed. f anything, more usage of technology is needed. Say right now, only one referral per match per team is there, which is not good enough. Make it every batsman can refer his decision to umpire. And every batsman can be referred once by fielding captain. And if someone refers howler, Fine him/team.

Also why stop there.

Let third umpire intervene at will.

dudes this is some agenda driven drivel and nonsense everyone knows it, what is the point of talking more about it. its clear MCC have spoken that no rule was broken, there is a difference of opinion on what is fair( based on agenda of the individual), and ambiguity on the implementation of the rule ( was the batsman within crease till the expected release point of ball) at the same time absolute need for the rule ( else batsmen will go to the middle of the pitch and wait to run).

its not worth discussing this much. Buttler should be mankaded again and again.

^ Every game, you see atleast one incidence, where player is being dishonest. They know they nicked it, or didnt catch it, or may have just touched boundry rope, or simply NS taking a start early, but they dont say it. Blatant Cheating.

But if someone gets out in peculiar/unusual/rare way, they start calling spirit of Game.

If Only Thala would have been as ruthless like Ashwin, the results of 2011 test series may not have been the same. I still dont understand what stopped Ian Bell, to say, that it was his mistake and he shouldnt come back. Spirit of Game is not one way street

2 hours ago, mishra said:

^ Every game, you see atleast one incidence, where player is being dishonest. They know they nicked it, or didnt catch it, or may have just touched boundry rope, or simply NS taking a start early, but they dont say it. Blatant Cheating.

But if someone gets out in peculiar/unusual/rare way, they start calling spirit of Game.

If Only Thala would have been as ruthless like Ashwin, the results of 2011 test series may not have been the same. I still dont understand what stopped Ian Bell, to say, that it was his mistake and he shouldnt come back. Spirit of Game is not one way street

I was so annoyed with Dhoni for that one. Allowed England to pull the wool over his eyes

10 hours ago, velu said:

bit rich coming from gujju :phehe: 

What these guys don't realize not even in gully cricket batsmen do this silly act of wandering off the crease like these guys do recklessly every single ball. Keep the bat in the crease even if your body is outside. That is exactly we used to do in school, college. Always bat will be inside the crease. Not everything. Morons have to follow the rules first.

Man I don't get this spirit of the game bs either. If it is in the rule book, wtf does spirit of the game has to do with the law of the game? To me, spirit of the game should be no kicking someone's arse in middle of the game or throwing some verbal abuse to another player and match fixing. 

I don't understand how a bowler is always shamed for applying the law that was made by ICC themselves. Then when the player does implement the law, hell breaks loose. Like bro, wtf? If this is going to be an issue, why not make it official that the player must give an official warning to the batsmen prior to performing mankade. Batsmen who tries to gain advantage by leaving the crease is often saved by an inch when runout comes into the equation. Where is the spirit of the game at that point? 

Edited by Zero_Unit