World Idli Day

Gollum

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't have Dosas frequently, so unhealthy ones will do. Besides I generally go to A2B, Krishna, CTR etc which are nearby, so those other options aren't available. 

are you in bangalore ? 

5 hours ago, Gollum said:

Me too prefer Dosa, especially Ghee/Paper Masala Roast from A2B. But unfortunately no 'World Dosa Day' :dontknow:

A travesty!

Dosa is #1, but I definitely love idlis especially when I don't feel like eating oily stuff.

I used to much down a plate of idli-vada-sambar (to pass the time while dosa is getting ready) and a plain dosa for breakfast. Aw man, what days! Karnataka Sambar is brill, but the Chennai-style Sambar mom makes at home along with idli and ghee :woot:

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't have Dosas frequently, so unhealthy ones will do. Besides I generally go to A2B, Krishna, CTR etc which are nearby, so those other options aren't available. 

If you are in Bengaluru, there is Brahmins coffee bar in Basavangudi which offers the best coconut chutney. That idli-chutney combo is simply awesome. Also, there is Raghavendra stores & Veena stores in Malleshwaram which is worth trying.

4 hours ago, Muloghonto said:

I dunno who said it, but i am 100% in the camp of ' all daal is just failed sambhar' .

Me, in the unpopular opinions thread :wp2:

(though Rajma is exempted but then again, Rajma is not really daal and a very good dal tarka is a distant clear-cut second to sambhaar, tied for 2nd with Bong style cholaar-daal).

Yeah I'll make an exception for Dal Makhani too. 

But the desi Sambhar is where its at, because it also has veggies in it. Most Sambhar i tried in North America- a few of them can replicate the Sambhar taste very well but only have a couple of pieces of carrots in them, thats it. 

In my experience the Tamil version of Sambhar is thick and has plenty of veggies. 

3 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

If you are in Bengaluru, there is Brahmins coffee bar in Basavangudi which offers the best coconut chutney. That idli-chutney combo is simply awesome.

Yeah it's a nice place but been there only once, tried Idli-Vada-Chutney combo there. 

3 minutes ago, Turning_track said:

Also, there is Raghavendra stores & Veena stores in Malleshwaram which is worth trying.

Haven't tried Raghavendra stores but often go to Veena which is nearby. Only problem is there is no seating arrangement there, have to eat standing by the side of the road. Their Vada-Chutney, Puliyogre, Bisibele Bath and Khara Pongal are outstanding. Malleshwaram is heaven for foodies, so many legendary outlets spread in a small area. My only issue is I don't like the Sambhar the Kannadigas prepare. The best Sambhar in that area is between 7th and 8th cross, a place called Iyer Mess but they do only meals and not South Indian tiffin, and not all days have Sambhar. Have to try the A2B nearby for my preferred style of tiffin.  

Are you Tamil, Kannadiga or Northie? Based in Bengaluru?

4 hours ago, Jimmy Cliff said:

Not a southie but I sure love Idlis and Southie food in general. @Gollum bhai probably got confused by the incessant KL Rahul support :p:.

My bad, I thought you were Mallu or 50% Mallu. You ever stayed in South India?