Share the vibes you've experienced any place visited

MechEng

I'll start with my recent experience. I was near Detroit yesterday, and it's like you're in England - The construction of houses, overcast skies and food, very different from Texas. New York felt super competitive, hard to survive there for an average person.

I visited Thailand recently. I was surprised with how developed and clean Bangkok is. Hardly any poverty, no more beggers than you get in England, no pervert men, no honking cars despite the amount of traffic.

You can tell that a lot of their culture is highly influenced by India, that is natural given that Buddhism is the majority religion there but there is also a big Hindu influence. Their national epic is actually the Ramayan, their king is always called King Rama and their ancienct capital is called Ayutthya (Ayodhya). Ganesh is worshipped there.

The trip made me realise that India is sadly a massive mess, it is behind so many countries in Asia. It seems that East Asians in general are cleaner and calmer than South Asians they also respect their fellow citizens more.

Edited by Ranvir

2 hours ago, Ranvir said:

I visited Thailand recently. I was surprised with how developed and clean Bangkok is. Hardly any poverty, no more beggers than you get in England, no pervert men, no honking cars despite the amount of traffic.

You can tell that a lot of their culture is highly influenced by India, that is natural given that Buddhism is the majority religion there but there is also a big Hindu influence. Their national epic is actually the Ramayan, their king is always called King Rama and their ancienct capital is called Ayutthya (Ayodhya). Ganesh is worshipped there.

The trip made me realise that India is sadly a massive mess, it is behind so many countries in Asia. It seems that East Asians in general are cleaner and calmer than South Asians they also respect their fellow citizens more.

Did you visit Chatuchak market ? ~20,000 stalls and you see people drinking and eating non stop  , not a single dustbin around and still it was so clean  . it took me a while , but noticed each one of these shop owners had a tiny little bag to collect waste . 

Thailand is still understandable though , you will get a real shocker wen you visit Sri Lanka . Colombo is easily the cleanest city in SC. I dint know where to hide when one of the fisherman asked "why do indians do pepe on the road ? " . Apparently this guy had visited Vizag a few years back . 

7 hours ago, Ranvir said:

That's true, but I guess South Asia is also more battle scarred than East Asia, which is why they are apathetic. 

Edited by MechEng

4 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Did you visit Chatuchak market ? ~20,000 stalls and you see people drinking and eating non stop  , not a single dustbin around and still it was so clean  . it took me a while , but noticed each one of these shop owners had a tiny little bag to collect waste . 

Thailand is still understandable though , you will get a real shocker wen you visit Sri Lanka . Colombo is easily the cleanest city in SC. I dint know where to hide when one of the fisherman asked "why do indians do pepe on the road ? " . Apparently this guy had visited Vizag a few years back . 

Sri Lankans are clean no doubt. In fact they take cleanliness so seriously that they make sure that their bowlers get hit for cleanest sixes possible from Rohit Sharma.

Edited by MechEng

Recently visited Shanghai and Shenzhen after 5 years, I was amazed back then at the development but continued to be amazed.

The infrastructure (metro, buses, traffic discipline), facilities (food hygiene, shopping, banks) and cleanliness is better than many developed global cities 

Indian cities are a joke by comparison

9 hours ago, chewy said:

Recently visited Shanghai and Shenzhen after 5 years, I was amazed back then at the development but continued to be amazed.

The infrastructure (metro, buses, traffic discipline), facilities (food hygiene, shopping, banks) and cleanliness is better than many developed global cities 

Indian cities are a joke by comparison

It’s a bit easy if government controls the land and decides to change landscape and architecture. Imagine you try to extend the road by 10 feet in India in a small gully. You get all sorts of pressure from MLAs and MPs. 

18 hours ago, jusarrived said:

Yes I went to Chatuchak market and like you said it was surprisingly clean (the market itself was overrated though). It was the same with Chinatown where I stayed, extremely busy but also very clean.