What happened to Virat Kohli in t20 cricket?

I6MTW

I mean what happened to him? His 2016 form was on a 'whole nother' level, almost Bradman-esque. He achieved unprecedented levels that year in both international and domestic accumulating over 2000 runs at a high S/R that year. He was GOATing in that format that year, even opening as well as batting at no.3. He has since been hot and cold(mostly cold), quite mediocre by his standards, the past 3 years. Very little significance in international and domestic . I mean even before 2016, he wasn't THAT good, but he was decent/above average for a t20 batsman and was quite consistent in scoring 30's-50's at a decent S/R. What has happened since 2016? His form hasn't taken a toll in ODI and Test, but it has in t20. He isn't even featured in the ICC  top 20 batsmen rankings , if I'm not wrong. 

Edited by I6MTW

6 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

that was his golden year, otherwise, he was never your quintessential T20 batsman with limited range of shots and inability to hit sixes at will.  

Yes, I agree. And it is impossible to maintain such a high peak level throughout his career. But, after his 2016 year, he should've at east come close to that level with few innings of brilliance here and there, or at least better than his pre-2016 years, but he seems to have gotten worse and regressed, even in comparison to his pre-2016 years.

15 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

that was his golden year, otherwise, he was never your quintessential T20 batsman with limited range of shots and inability to hit sixes at will.  

and what has happened to him now ...reflexes down or age catching up ??? nothing 

Didnt u say the samething when he was batting at 4 and then he changed his position back to 3 in 3rd t20 in Aus n won the game

He is not focussed enough on t20s off lately

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

and what has happened to him now ...reflexes down or age catching up ??? nothing 

Didnt u say the samething when he was batting at 4 and then he changed his position back to 3 in 3rd t20 in Aus n won the game

He is not focussed enough on t20s off lately

you cant have same scores all the time.  Kohli is not your typical T20 batsman who just comes in and bash the bowlers.  He has his method which did wonders then but not doing now.  

3 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

you cant have same scores all the time.  Kohli is not your typical T20 batsman who just comes in and bash the bowlers.  He has his method which did wonders then but not doing now.  

Nowere is it written that u have to follow specfic style, guys like rohit n raina are but didnt find half the success in international t20 as kohli did. 

His method will only work if he bats in top 3....for India he was batting at 4 and his avg before was of a freak n for anyone it wud be tough to maintain . He was not batting in his position. He has a method and it has worked for him more then anyone, no player can have all ....some will have impact some consistency. 

We can say that about someone like dhoni that his method of taking game to last over doesnt work now coz his skill has dropped, but in kohli's case there is no drop of skill. He just batted out of his position and has also been battling through back issue due to which i feel he is not giving his all in some games. This is one reason i feel he has been even struggling against spinners as he takes it a lil easy but their seems to be no issue with skill 

21 minutes ago, rahulrulezz said:

I like it when he doesn't score in IPL.. That means he will be more hungry and eventually scores more for us India.. Don't worry guys, this guy is a beast when he wears Indian colors.. 

exactly what i was thinking, come WC game one he will have his game face and score at will. This will be a distant memory.

Meh, he is still T20 GOAT. Probably motivation issue in meaningless T20s, come the WT20 (2020?) he will be the batsman to watch. In a way I am happy he is failing here, better get the bad luck and freak dismissals out of the system in these matches rather than WC. Also the anger/hunger, law of averages, less hype (relatively) etc will mean he will be a different beast when the WC group matches commence. 

3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Meh, he is still T20 GOAT. Probably motivation issue in meaningless T20s, come the WT20 (2020?) he will be the batsman to watch. In a way I am happy he is failing here, better get the bad luck and freak dismissals out of the system in these matches rather than WC. Also the anger/hunger, law of averages, less hype (relatively) etc will mean he will be a different beast when the WC group matches commence. 

He hasn't been performing internationally in t20s as well, for the past few years, done nothing of note. Maybe he will rise again when 2020 comes but for now his form in t20 has regressed, he's still at the top of his game in test and ODIs though.

15 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

He hasn't been performing internationally in t20s as well, for the past few years, done nothing of note. Maybe he will rise again when 2020 comes but for now his form in t20 has regressed, he's still at the top of his game in test and ODIs though.

1. International T20s are meaningless.

2. Last 2-3 years there was a lot more at stake for our test team, especially with some tough overseas assignments. Also that brutal home series against Australia, such high profile assignments get preference.

3. ODIs more in focus because of CT/WC post 2016...next WT20 is after 4.5 years gap. So even ODIs got higher priority from our TM.

4. Kohli is captain in all formats, that means more stress. He is human after all and will have dips, thankfully his decline in form has come in the most useless format. 

5. He sat out of many T20 matches, no continuous run. That affects the flow, also impossible to get a string of good scores and boost stats then. 

6. I don't think he ever took IPL seriously. That one season (2016 you say) must have been because there were many high profile T20 tournaments that year (Asia Cup T20, WT20) and he wanted to be at the top of the game. Also once he proved he could boss IPL like no other man, maybe he lost motivation in subsequent editions. 

7. RCB is a trainwreck franchise, at this point I doubt he cares. He is there for the $$$, focus must have already shifted to the bigger picture (WC)...a big hole in his otherwise outstanding resume. Just like how he corrected his red ball record in England last year his mind may be drifting towards doing the same in a different format in 2-3 months time.   

8. He has had many injury concerns the last 2 years especially his back, he might be holding back in such a high paced, energy-intensive format. 

Edited by Gollum

4 minutes ago, Mariyam said:

I think I wholly agree.

There is a saying in Tamil.  You probably have seen people selling flowers strung together using a thread. When you string flowers using the thread, the thread will also inherit the scent. The reverse is flowers inheriting the smell of the thread :)  In Kohli's case 2nd type. 

Flower - Kohli

Thread - RCB

12 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

There is a saying in Tamil.  You probably have seen people selling flowers strung together using a thread. When you string flowers using the thread, the thread will also inherit the scent. The reverse is flowers inheriting the smell of the thread :)  In Kohli's case 2nd type. 

Flower - Kohli

Thread - RCB

RCB is Kohli.  Kohli is RCB.  They are not exclusive. 

12 hours ago, Gollum said:

1. International T20s are meaningless.

2. Last 2-3 years there was a lot more at stake for our test team, especially with some tough overseas assignments. Also that brutal home series against Australia, such high profile assignments get preference.

3. ODIs more in focus because of CT/WC post 2016...next WT20 is after 4.5 years gap. So even ODIs got higher priority from our TM.

4. Kohli is captain in all formats, that means more stress. He is human after all and will have dips, thankfully his decline in form has come in the most useless format. 

5. He sat out of many T20 matches, no continuous run. That affects the flow, also impossible to get a string of good scores and boost stats then. 

6. I don't think he ever took IPL seriously. That one season (2016 you say) must have been because there were many high profile T20 tournaments that year (Asia Cup T20, WT20) and he wanted to be at the top of the game. Also once he proved he could boss IPL like no other man, maybe he lost motivation in subsequent editions. 

7. RCB is a trainwreck franchise, at this point I doubt he cares. He is there for the $$$, focus must have already shifted to the bigger picture (WC)...a big hole in his otherwise outstanding resume. Just like how he corrected his red ball record in England last year his mind may be drifting towards doing the same in a different format in 2-3 months time.   

8. He has had many injury concerns the last 2 years especially his back, he might be holding back in such a high paced, energy-intensive format. 

You are questioning his integrity and professionalism?

Edited by rkt.india

14 hours ago, rkt.india said:

really? Outside that 'goldren period', Kohli still averages 43 and a SR of 136, has hit 45 6s as well. Limited range of shots LOL.

IN IPL outside 2016, he has had 5 seasons of 500+ runs.