Is Kohli to blame for RCB failures?

Texan

Over the years, RCB have been the most miserable team despite what looks like a star studded awesome lineup. So is Kohli as captain to blame for all these failures or is he just "unlucky"?

Here's my two cents....

Unquestionably, undoubtedly, it is Kohli to blame for a large part of RCB failures. His stubborn attitude of playing useless fast bowlers who are neither wicket taking nor economical but purely driven by his ego of seeing bowlers crank up the speed gun is just one of the factors that causes RCB to lose so often. Classic example was RCB v/s SRH game this season. RCB packed in the quicks (Yadav, Siraj) but got completely outbowled by SRH "trundlers" (Bhuv, Sandeep, Kaul).

The next part is his obsession with fitness made him drop a very utility batsman like Sarfaraz Khan from the team despite good performances from him. I understand fitness is important, but  Sarfaraz was doing really well and deserved more chances. Kohli himself used to drop so many catches just couple of years ago despite supreme fitness. So if being fit counts and ground fielding is important, isn't taking catches even more important?

He keeps insisting on opening the batting, but he is not really a T20 opener. He is much better off at 3 or 4. 

All such decisions from Kohli are primary drivers for why RCB are consistently losing. As part of team management, he will have ample say in auctions (who to pick, who not to) and even team selection from the squad. So not having the right players is hardly an excuse for Kohli since he himself had a large say in this matter. 

Opinions, disagreements,.... ??

1 hour ago, Texan said:

Over the years, RCB have been the most miserable team despite what looks like a star studded awesome lineup. So is Kohli as captain to blame for all these failures or is he just "unlucky"?

Here's my two cents....

Unquestionably, undoubtedly, it is Kohli to blame for a large part of RCB failures. His stubborn attitude of playing useless fast bowlers who are neither wicket taking nor economical but purely driven by his ego of seeing bowlers crank up the speed gun is just one of the factors that causes RCB to lose so often. Classic example was RCB v/s SRH game this season. RCB packed in the quicks (Yadav, Siraj) but got completely outbowled by SRH "trundlers" (Bhuv, Sandeep, Kaul).

The next part is his obsession with fitness made him drop a very utility batsman like Sarfaraz Khan from the team despite good performances from him. I understand fitness is important, but  Sarfaraz was doing really well and deserved more chances. Kohli himself used to drop so many catches just couple of years ago despite supreme fitness. So if being fit counts and ground fielding is important, isn't taking catches even more important?

He keeps insisting on opening the batting, but he is not really a T20 opener. He is much better off at 3 or 4. 

All such decisions from Kohli are primary drivers for why RCB are consistently losing. As part of team management, he will have ample say in auctions (who to pick, who not to) and even team selection from the squad. So not having the right players is hardly an excuse for Kohli since he himself had a large say in this matter. 

Opinions, disagreements,.... ??

but the same trundlers could not stop KKR from chasing 181.  You are blaming bowlers and not batsmen who capitulated Nabi of all all SRH bowlers.

4 minutes ago, velu said:

kohli is the main reason , but dont blame him for everything ..

probably the team in the last game looked well balanced ( though they went with extra pacer instead of someone like negi or sundar ) , but kohli cant bat for others ..

Kohli needs to bat for himself first.  he has done nothing yet this IPL.

Not really building a franchise is a big job requiring a full professional setup. It needs scouts who are constantly on the lookout and a management team that has a clear strategy worked out each year well in advance.

You can see that teams like KKR, CSK, MI, SRH  and even lot of others is just always so much better at these things. Captain definitely has a role to play but International players like Kohli have a very busy schedule and deal with pressures of Test crickets and various other tours and IPL probably is at top of their mind for only 2-3 months a year. The management needs to be working all year round making sure the right squad is built and trained.

Kohli has to take his share of blame (big part of it is weird selections on match day)  but it is well known that RCB has some of the worst management which never seems to have learnt over time. They have had well known weaknesses in bowling over time but they never have worked on it seriously.

Edited by CoverDrive

4 hours ago, velu said:

kohli is the main reason , but dont blame him for everything ..

probably the team in the last game looked well balanced ( though they went with extra pacer instead of someone like negi or sundar ) , but kohli cant bat for others ..

Kohli simply doesnt know how to set field for spinners. It doesnt comes into his mind that a batsman will try to force him to take spinner off the attack. Just in the match against Royals. I predicted that Kohli will take off Ali if batsman can somehow score 10+ run overs. Happened exactly same way.

I also said, he wont even bowl full quota of 8 overs from his two available spinners and it happened. I felt he will bowl atleast 7 but he bowled just 5.

Opposition Batsmen know that Kohli's patience can be manipulated and they manipulate him. I will say, Kohli should use RCB as practice and play 4 spinners and two pacers and work on his field placing with spinners.