Watched movies such as:

a) Une Parisienne 

b) Monsieur Verdoux

c) Branded to kill

d) My name is Julia Ross 

e) Hamlet (1948) 

Edited by zen

On 4/19/2019 at 7:46 PM, zen said:

I know where I am going (1945) .... watched it before but was good to see it in a relatively sharp print 

One of my fav P&P... this one needs more love!

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

anyone seen any new criterion movies? thread should be bumped occasionally, eh zen?

Yeah saw quite a few but thought ppl may not be interested :lol: .... will post an update from what I remember 

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Yeah saw quite a few but thought ppl may not be interested :lol: .... will post an update from what I remember 

It'll probably be just the two of us, but who knows... maybe someone will take a casual look at the thread, see some of the movies, become inspired and turn into an award-winning Indian director on par with ray, ghatak, etc. and then thank us in the oscar/cannes/venice speech.:phehe:

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

Been watching a lot of Columbia noir. Plenty of good to excellent films, although no "great" ones so far.

Watched all of those on Criterion. They were supposed to be leaving on June 30th iirc 

Watching the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Started with Shogun Assassin, which is made from combining the first two Japanese Lone Wolf and Cub films for the Western market. Then watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (3rd instalment) 

1 hour ago, zen said:

Watching the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Started with Shogun Assassin, which is made from combining the first two Japanese Lone Wolf and Cub films for the Western market. Then watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (3rd instalment) 

good series that one. have you seen the zatoichi series. not "great" films but well made ones and entertaining too. as far as I recall, they are on criterion.

On 4/20/2019 at 8:56 AM, zen said:

Revisited Kubrick’s classic “Paths of Glory” (1957) 

* what a movie. From the painfully intimate to the mind-chilling grandiose. * what a movie.

2 hours ago, zen said:

Lone Wolf and Cub inspired Kill Bill.

1 hour ago, Prakat said:

Watch

Hazard du Baltazar

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

The Killing (Kubrick's finest IMO)

bresson, bunuel and kubrick. fearsome combo. much as I like The killing, I like nearly all of kubrick's films. such is the quality of his films that the killing is not even in my top 5-7 kubricks.

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

bresson, bunuel and kubrick. fearsome combo. much as I like The killing, I like nearly all of kubrick's films. such is the quality of his films that the killing is not even in my top 5-7 kubricks.

I recommended these only because I'm sure the posters on this thread have exhausted the usual world cinema fare (Bicycle Thieves, 400 Blows, Nights of Cabiria etc...) along with most of Kubrick's celebrated films like 2001, The Shining, FMJ and EWS. The Killing to me is remarkable because it has a style that while true to the Noir-Heist Aesthetic is at the same time contemporary (You can screen it in 2019 and it will hold its own in the Heist genre films of this decade) and timeless at the same time. For me, the ending is on its own worthy of a film yet to be released -  it is so good in my mind. However, I do also understand if you find it low on your ranking of Kubrick's oeuvre - He is that kind of genius isn't he. From Barry Lyndon to Lolita, is there even a movie that can't be ranked at the top of any list.

4 hours ago, Prakat said:

Lone Wolf and Cub inspired Kill Bill.

Could be. There is Lady Snowblood, also on Criterion, as well which is said to be the key inspiration . Might watch Lady Snowblood too 

3 hours ago, zen said:

Could be. There is Lady Snowblood, also on Criterion, as well which is said to be the key inspiration . Might watch Lady Snowblood too 

Indeed, I thought that yukihime was the bigger inspiration when I first saw it.

4 hours ago, Prakat said:

I recommended these only because I'm sure the posters on this thread have exhausted the usual world cinema fare (Bicycle Thieves, 400 Blows, Nights of Cabiria etc...) along with most of Kubrick's celebrated films like 2001, The Shining, FMJ and EWS. The Killing to me is remarkable because it has a style that while true to the Noir-Heist Aesthetic is at the same time contemporary (You can screen it in 2019 and it will hold its own in the Heist genre films of this decade) and timeless at the same time. For me, the ending is on its own worthy of a film yet to be released -  it is so good in my mind. However, I do also understand if you find it low on your ranking of Kubrick's oeuvre - He is that kind of genius isn't he. From Barry Lyndon to Lolita, is there even a movie that can't be ranked at the top of any list.

yes, I agree with what you wrote. The Killing is certainly not as famous as some other Kubrick films and this ought to change. I also rate Paths of Glory very highly, although this film is much better known

1 hour ago, Vijy said:

yes, I agree with what you wrote. The Killing is certainly not as famous as some other Kubrick films and this ought to change. I also rate Paths of Glory very highly, although this film is much better known

Absolutely, Paths of Glory is pure gold. The force of Kubrick's Humane Philosophy really hits you hardest in this movie above all. He enjoyed being sort of above it all, never really taking sides, in his later movies - As in Lolita, EWS, by Dr. Strangelove he had begun to see the Dark humour in the inevitability of it all. But in Paths of Glory the bright light of hope shines through as a young filmmaker wishing to open people's eyes to the sheer madness of war and the military as an organization.

2 hours ago, Prakat said:

Absolutely, Paths of Glory is pure gold. The force of Kubrick's Humane Philosophy really hits you hardest in this movie above all. He enjoyed being sort of above it all, never really taking sides, in his later movies - As in Lolita, EWS, by Dr. Strangelove he had begun to see the Dark humour in the inevitability of it all. But in Paths of Glory the bright light of hope shines through as a young filmmaker wishing to open people's eyes to the sheer madness of war and the military as an organization.

Agreed. Reading about Kubrick, listening to his family speak about him, etc. it's clear that the guy had a lot of empathy for human beings even if his films didn't explicitly reflect it.

On 7/18/2019 at 12:08 AM, zen said:

Lady Snowblood is good too. Kill Bill even adapted the “chapters” style from it :lol:

personally, I like Yukihime (Lady Snowblood) more than Lone Wolf. beautifully shot and composed film.

14 minutes ago, Vijy said:

personally, I like Yukihime (Lady Snowblood) more than Lone Wolf. beautifully shot and composed film.

if you like it, there is part 2 as well. Lady Snowbird and the love song of vengeance (something like that) 

On 8/17/2019 at 10:00 PM, Vijy said:

anyone watching anything on criterion?

Watched the leaving in September ones: 

Othello (Wells)

The Vikings

Rocco and his brothers (will finish it soon) 

2 hours ago, zen said:

Watched the leaving in September ones: 

Othello (Wells)

The Vikings

Rocco and his brothers (will finish it soon) 

wells' othello has attracted more acclaim, but I like his macbeth even more.

On 7/22/2019 at 1:19 AM, Vijy said:

Rewatched Sam Fuller's "Shock Corridor" again. Very powerful and intense movie.

I watched this one y'day but had to FF some of the mental hospital sequences as they were not interesting enough .... Noticed that Criterion has added a few Melville films!