Criterion Channel

zen

1 minute ago, Vijy said:

anyone seen any new criterion movies? thread should be bumped occasionally, eh zen?

Yeah saw quite a few but thought ppl may not be interested :lol: .... will post an update from what I remember 

2 minutes ago, zen said:

Yeah saw quite a few but thought ppl may not be interested :lol: .... will post an update from what I remember 

It'll probably be just the two of us, but who knows... maybe someone will take a casual look at the thread, see some of the movies, become inspired and turn into an award-winning Indian director on par with ray, ghatak, etc. and then thank us in the oscar/cannes/venice speech.:phehe:

8 hours ago, Vijy said:

Been watching a lot of Columbia noir. Plenty of good to excellent films, although no "great" ones so far.

Watched all of those on Criterion. They were supposed to be leaving on June 30th iirc 

Watching the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Started with Shogun Assassin, which is made from combining the first two Japanese Lone Wolf and Cub films for the Western market. Then watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (3rd instalment) 

1 hour ago, zen said:

Watching the Lone Wolf and Cub series. Started with Shogun Assassin, which is made from combining the first two Japanese Lone Wolf and Cub films for the Western market. Then watched Lone Wolf and Cub: Baby Cart to Hades (3rd instalment) 

good series that one. have you seen the zatoichi series. not "great" films but well made ones and entertaining too. as far as I recall, they are on criterion.

2 hours ago, zen said:

Lone Wolf and Cub inspired Kill Bill.

1 hour ago, Prakat said:

Watch

Hazard du Baltazar

The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie

The Killing (Kubrick's finest IMO)

bresson, bunuel and kubrick. fearsome combo. much as I like The killing, I like nearly all of kubrick's films. such is the quality of his films that the killing is not even in my top 5-7 kubricks.

2 hours ago, Vijy said:

bresson, bunuel and kubrick. fearsome combo. much as I like The killing, I like nearly all of kubrick's films. such is the quality of his films that the killing is not even in my top 5-7 kubricks.

I recommended these only because I'm sure the posters on this thread have exhausted the usual world cinema fare (Bicycle Thieves, 400 Blows, Nights of Cabiria etc...) along with most of Kubrick's celebrated films like 2001, The Shining, FMJ and EWS. The Killing to me is remarkable because it has a style that while true to the Noir-Heist Aesthetic is at the same time contemporary (You can screen it in 2019 and it will hold its own in the Heist genre films of this decade) and timeless at the same time. For me, the ending is on its own worthy of a film yet to be released -  it is so good in my mind. However, I do also understand if you find it low on your ranking of Kubrick's oeuvre - He is that kind of genius isn't he. From Barry Lyndon to Lolita, is there even a movie that can't be ranked at the top of any list.