Can Alzarri Joseph reignite the West Indian legacy of fast bowling greats

It is not about the best figures of 6 for 12 in an IPL match, nor about the fact that he is only 22 but most of the wickets seem to have come from bowled/keeper catch or close catches. 

His action, gait and confidence is very reminiscent of the great WI bowlers of the past such as Ambrose, Walsh etc. 
It will be great to see that kind of WI bowlers back frightening the opposition batsmen.

Can we expect him to lead that kind of attacks in the coming future. 

Edited by sarcastic

Just going by his record so far, he hasn't done much at the international level to say that. 

As of now, he looks like a gem in T20s thus far. 

Bowling averages
  Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
Tests 9 17 1525 821 25 3/53 4/50 32.84 3.23 61.0 0 0 0
ODIs 16 15 757 818 24 5/56 5/56 34.08 6.48 31.5 1 1 0
First-class 31 50 4448 2450 101 7/46 8/62 24.25 3.30 44.0 5 5 0
List A 29 27 1348 1325 46 6/31 6/31 28.80 5.89 29.3 1 2 0
T20s 8 8 175 303 15 6/12 6/12 20.20 10.38 11.6 1 1

5 hours ago, Tibarn said:

Just going by his record so far, he hasn't done much at the international level to say that. 

As of now, he looks like a gem in T20s thus far. 

Bowling averages
  Mat Inns Balls Runs Wkts BBI BBM Ave Econ SR 4w 5w 10
Tests 9 17 1525 821 25 3/53 4/50 32.84 3.23 61.0 0 0 0
ODIs 16 15 757 818 24 5/56 5/56 34.08 6.48 31.5 1 1 0
First-class 31 50 4448 2450 101 7/46 8/62 24.25 3.30 44.0 5 5 0
List A 29 27 1348 1325 46 6/31 6/31 28.80 5.89 29.3 1 2 0
T20s 8 8 175 303 15 6/12 6/12 20.20 10.38 11.6 1 1

Even in T20s if you exclude yesterday's game, there was nothing to suggest. Also we will never know how those old WI Pacers would have fared today. That era was different era and isn't going come back again.

West Indies bowlers in today's era would have been smacked in t20s too. There was no helmets or bouncer rule in test cricket those days and most pitches had support for them but they would have adapted to these conditions. Also alzarri had great debut but key thing will be how good he does in this whole season and if he does really well chances are high that he might get picked in wi squad.

13 minutes ago, Nikola said:

West Indies bowlers in today's era would have been smacked in t20s too. There was no helmets or bouncer rule in test cricket those days and most pitches had support for them but they would have adapted to these conditions. Also alzarri had great debut but key thing will be how good he does in this whole season and if he does really well chances are high that he might get picked in wi squad.

He has already played for WI.

No bowler today in world cricket is as frightening as the Windies pace quartet. The fast bowlers nowadays are too soft. They see bit of blood and start feeling for the batsmen. The WI pace quartet tried to injure and put fear in minds of batanen. So much that many players were retired absent against them.

Roberts was deadly and did not even enquired about the health of batsman after hitting him with bouncer and seeing the blood. He used to just walk back to the run up mark and bowl another ferroicous bouncer threatening the face. Alzarri or nobody else cannot be as deadly as Roberts was.

Edited by Straight Drive
1 hour ago, Straight Drive said:

No bowler today in world cricket is as frightening as the Windies pace quartet. The fast bowlers nowadays are too soft. They see bit of blood and start feeling for the batsmen. The WI pace quartet tried to injure and put fear in minds of batanen. So much that many players were retired absent against them.

Roberts was deadly and did not even enquired about the health of batsman after hitting him with bouncer and seeing the blood. He used to just walk back to the run up mark and bowl another ferroicous bouncer threatening the face. Alzarri or nobody else cannot be as deadly as Roberts was.

You are wasting your time , people on here think today's Indian bowlers put the fear of death into batsmen :phehe::hysterical:

Not based on T20 cricket, esp a garbage tamasha league (sorry, I will be undiplomatic) and I won't base this upon 1 individual. But after witnessing the recent series victory over England, I do believe they can recapture some of that old spirit. They will probably never come close to matching late 70s-80s WI (applies to all teams) but that won't be necessary to become an elite team.

About time they drop the idea of pursuing spinners and get back to pace like fire. First things first those disgraceful WI pitches of last 20 years must go, those are against the philosophy, spirit and blood of Calypso cricket. Recent changes in the nature of their pitches have been promising but they must continue, never ever go back to spinning/dull/low bounce pitches FGS.  

Edited by Gollum
1 hour ago, Gollum said:

Not based on T20 cricket, esp a garbage tamasha league (sorry, I will be undiplomatic) and I won't base this upon 1 individual. But after witnessing the recent series victory over England, I do believe they can recapture some of that old spirit. They will probably never come close to matching late 70s-80s WI (applies to all teams) but that won't be necessary to become an elite team.

About time they drop the idea of pursuing spinners and get back to pace like fire. First things first those disgraceful WI pitches of last 20 years must go, those are against the philosophy, spirit and blood of Calypso cricket. Recent changes in the nature of their pitches have been promising but they must continue, never ever go back to spinning/dull/low bounce pitches FGS.  

The only spinners of note WI produced were Ramadhin, Valentine and Gibbs.  Agree with your comment that WI must continue to maintain pace friendly wickets which we have seen recently. They should look for their traditional strength which has been pace bowlers.

14 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Sylvester Clarke was the meanest of them all . 

Clarke was up there as well. But the rebel tour meant he played only few tests. To me Roberts was more precise than Clarke. Thomson too was hostile and their competitor.

Did you watch Charlie Griffith? He was before my cricket watching days. He did end Nari Contractors cricket career with a ball from him causing a fractured skull.

44 minutes ago, Straight Drive said:

Clarke was up there as well. But the rebel tour meant he played only few tests. To me Roberts was more precise than Clarke. Thomson too was hostile and their competitor.

Did you watch Charlie Griffith? He was before my cricket watching days. He did end Nari Contractors cricket career with a ball from him causing a fractured skull.

He just finished , probably first I watched in-between practising was ashes 1971 I think with John Snow