What is Ind's flavor of cricket?

zen

Many teams have their own flavor of cricket. For e.g.

• with WI you visualize a team which banks on fearless power-hitting batting and fast bowling
  • with Aus, you visualize a team playing tough cricket 
  • with NZ, you visualize a team that fights it out to punch above its weight 

And these teams display that both home and away. Across multiple formats. What is Ind's flavor?

Edited by zen
1 minute ago, zen said:

Many teams have their own flavor of cricket. For e.g.

• with WI you visualize a team which banks on fearless power-hitting batting and fast bowling
  • with Aus, you visualize a team playing tough cricket 
  • with NZ, you visualize a team that fights it out to punch above its weight 

And these team display that both home and away. Across multiple formats. What is Ind's flavor?

Tuk tuk tuk..

4 minutes ago, prasen82 said:

Tuk tuk tuk..

That can be a characteristic. Our goal appears to turn batsmen with flair into tuktuk masters. From top of the mind, exceptions are Sehwag, Pant and Pandya. And we want Pant and Pandya to move away from their natural style to start tuktuking as well .... May be it is fearful cricket :dontknow:

Edited by zen
12 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Historically: spin (both bowling and playing it with footwork, going against the turn, deft touches etc), rubber wrists, classy elegant shotmaking, defensive cricket, punching above potential especially in big tournaments. 

Can be to a certain extent as it only works for the team in India. Outside it can become a liability 

Edited by zen
3 minutes ago, zen said:

It is to a certain extent as it only works for the team in India. Outside it can become a liability 

Of course. That's why we have performed so badly overseas (historically). Can't assign a flavor based on last 3-4 years alone, if we can continue with the pace bowling arsenal for another 15 years maybe add another attribute. That's why I didn't even mention our batting against the quicks, we suck against swing (absolute worst IMHO) and for most parts were vulnerable against seam/bounce as well. Better than some countries but not good enough to be a defining flavor. 

Essentially India is an upgraded version of Sri Lanka, all things considered. But that is mainly because we have been playing the sport at the highest level for much longer. Also why we are such a difficult match up for them. It is like the Nadal-Ferrer (or Kasparov-Shirov, more accurate) comparison....identical players with one of them slightly better in every aspect of the game, hence the lopsided H2H. To Lanka's credit they played a different brand of cricket for a while in the 90s and outclutched us a few times in big matches. 

Edited by Gollum

Too much dependent on batting. Once India realizes that Fileding and Bowling are equally important they will be a great team.

1983 was all bowling and one of the greatest wins of all the time by an underdog.

It might sound odd but I feel Indian cricket flavor is a bit effeminate, the polar opposite of the Australian approach to the game (macho). Last few years have been different but overall history of the sport lays bare the distinction between the 2 great cricket nations. Sample Lindwall, Miller, Walters, Ian Chappell, Lillee, Thommo, Marsh, Border, Boon, Merv, Waugh, Warne, Hayden, Ponting, Symonds and look at our ex-players, basically the nice, well mannered, obedient guys.

Aussies bowled fast...we relied on spinners, they thumped the ball....we caressed it, they fielded like panthers....we were sloth bear like, they muscled their way through opponents...we were subtle and relied on skills/finesse, they were in your face....we were timid, they unabashedly carried their swagger...we were self conscious, they took pride in winning outside comfort zones...we were poor travellers, I mean you can go on and on. Stylistically (forget non playing factors) they were like Federer, we were Nadal, Kasparov-Karpov, Senna-Prost, Rocket-Selby yada yada, polar opposites which results in compelling H2H. India and Australia represent polar opposites in cricket and hence you get a fascinating match up more often than not. Now the style of play is changing at least in Indian test cricket but I will observe the change over 10-15 years before reassessing my theory. Change is hard to find in ODIs/T20s but who cares? Test cricket is best cricket :dontknow:

Edited by Gollum
4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

It might sound odd but I feel Indian cricket flavor is a bit effeminate, the polar opposite of the Australian approach to the game (macho). Last few years have been different but overall history of the sport lays bare the distinction between the 2 great cricket nations. Sample Miller, Walters, Ian Chappell, Lillee, Thommo, Marsh, Border, Waugh, Hayden, Ponting, Symonds and look at our ex-players, basically the nice, well mannered, obedient guys.

Aussies bowled fast...we relied on spinners, they thumped the ball....we caressed it, they fielded like panthers....we were sloth bear like, they muscled their way through opponents...we were subtle and relied on skills/finesse, they were in your face....we were timid, they unabashedly carried their swagger...we were self conscious, they took pride in winning outside comfort zones...we were poor travellers, I mean you can go on and on. Stylistically (forget non playing factors) they were like Nadal, we were Federer, Kasparov-Karpov, Senna-Prost, Rocket-Selby yada yada, polar opposites which results in compelling H2H. India and Australia represent polar opposites in cricket and hence you get a fascinating match up more often than not. Now the style of play is changing at least in Indian test cricket but I will observe the change over 10-15 years before reassessing my theory. Change is hard to find in ODIs/T20s but who cares? Test cricket is best cricket :dontknow:

you give way too much credit to India. India has traditionally lacked skill and finesse: they have always played defensive cricket, banking on physicality, muscle, safety, and the natural trend of the result which favors the less risk-taking. India did well in tournaments because in cricket, the result tends to be an impostor. 

So, as I say, India are brutal, muscular, and defensive. Australia are skilled, play with finesse, calmness, philosophical and attacking. 

1 minute ago, Gollum said:

It might sound odd but I feel Indian cricket flavor is a bit effeminate, the polar opposite of the Australian approach to the game (macho). Last few years have been different but overall history of the sport lay bare the distinction between the 2 great cricket nations. Sample Miller, Walters, Ian Chappell, Lillee, Thommo, Marsh, Border, Waugh, Hayden, Ponting, Symonds and look at our ex-players, basically the nice, well mannered, obedient guys.

Aussies bowled fast...we relied on spinners, they thumped the ball....we caressed it, they fielded like panthers....we were sloth bear like, they muscled their way through opponents...we were subtle and relied on skills/finesse, they were in your face....we were timid, they unabashedly carried their swagger...we were self conscious, they took pride in winning outside comfort zones...we were poor travellers, I mean you can go on and on. Stylistically (forget non playing factors) they were like Nadal, we were Federer, Kasparov-Karpov, Senna-Prost, Rocket-Selby yada yada, polar opposites which results in compelling H2H. India and Australia represent polar opposites in cricket and hence you get a fascinating match up more often than not. Now the style of play is changing at least in Indian test cricket but I will observe the change over 10-15 years before reassessing my theory. Change is hard to find in ODIs/T20s but who cares? Test cricket is best cricket :dontknow:

Can I answer this one Gollum as someone who played with and against Indians :winky:  or will the troll button be on fire :biggrin:

5 minutes ago, lamellavig said:

you give way too much credit to India. India has traditionally lacked skill and finesse: they have always played defensive cricket, banking on physicality, muscle, safety, and the natural trend of the result which favors the less risk-taking. India did well in tournaments because in cricket, the result tends to be an impostor. 

So, as I say, India are brutal, muscular, and defensive. Australia are skilled, play with finesse, calmness, philosophical and attacking. 

Guardiola, Messi, philosophy, attack-shattack blah blah.....quit messing around. You have been embarrassed enough on this forum, from "Bumrah is bad" to "Indians suck, are pathetic" and what not. Before you blow your cover take the exit. 

Edited by Gollum
7 minutes ago, lamellavig said:

you give way too much credit to India. India has traditionally lacked skill and finesse: they have always played defensive cricket, banking on physicality, muscle, safety,

:hysterical::hysterical:

7 minutes ago, lamellavig said:

India did well in tournaments because in cricket, the result tends to be an impostor.

Ok Mr. Pakistani :phehe:

Admins you are slackening, troll infestation in full flow.