Ravichandran ashwin would be my choice as the 15th member of Wc squad

Last Year i myself mocked the Idea from gambhir to make ashwin bat at 4, but that idea still got stuck with me for an year and now i feel why not keep this option . 

The 15th member would be between extra fast bowler or 3rd spinner which till now wud have been jadeja. I was thinking why not ashwin as his bowling has been really good in this IPL . He has displayed a range of deliveries including new ones like - slingy arm action, fast bowling action. 

Why ashwin ? What does he bring to the table ?

1. Any bowler with his range of variation will give opposition specially overseas teams a bit of stress. Even if it gives a bit a thought to opposition thats good
  2. He can bat and bat well 
  3. Someone in dressing room who can think out of the box . 
  4. His bowling form has been really good this IPL. A lot will say IPL cant be yardstick but ashwin aint a rookie ...the question was his ability in white ball cricket. He has bowled really well this IPL .
  5. He gives us many different options 
  6. Can bat up the order with positive mindset but has limitation . He doesnt tuk-tuk .....he plays on the merit of the ball 

The combinations we can try with ashwin

• Playing in place of Chahal/kuldeep- We have often seen kuldeep gets less effective as tournament progress so ashwin can be tried in one of those games. Questions have been raised on even chahal form, if ashwin fielding is not good so is chahals. Ashwin can give depth in batting .  So in one of the games this cud be tried specially when opposition has many lefties 
  • Playing in place of jadhav or shankar - Jadhav bowling looks has been soughted , shankar bowling is not something great. So in one of games ashwin can be tried in place of anyone provided ashwin bats at 4,5 and below he doesnt have power game. 
  • At No. 4 - M a huge fan of shankar n pant but lets be honest they arent making it big either, If 30-40s are what we going to get from them then ashwin can do that at no.4,5 . So ashwin can always be a backup option for no.4

Ashwin vs others

• Ashwin vs jadeja- Ashwin scores over jadeja in batting. Jadeja scores over ashwin in fielding. Bowling was at par but ashwin has variations which is a need in current LOI setup
  • Ashwin vs fast bowlers - No fast bowlers has earned the 4th bowler spot. Umesh is a leak machine, some are avg and lets not talk about debutants as kohli wont take them. If i have to choose between umesh vs ashwin or jadeja ill go with jaddu n ash .
  • Ashwin vs No.4 probable- no one has made use of that opp, we can blame on kohli but kohli is not their captain in IPL so some onus is one them to. Ashwin may be equal to them on batting but is a huge plus in bowling overs them

Weird idea, I won't have him bat at number 4. He can be a good number 8, as a supporting cast for the main batsman and not as a hitter. We can't afford such a pathetic tail where last 4 wickets fall for 5 runs, impossible to win a WC because against strong opponents matches will mostly go down to the wire. What if in a WC SF/F we need 35 runs in last 5 overs with us 6 down and Pandya/Jadhav batting nicely at one end? Shami, Chahal, Kuldeep, Bumrah agar baaki batsmen ho toh khud ba khud hamare main batsman ki phat jayegi. That's why I want both Jaddu and Ash in the squad, no Chahal please. Kuldeep will be the 1st spinner in all matches but later on the other 2 can get a look in. Let's be honest Ashwin isn't a worse fielder than Chahal and a better catcher in fact. All depends on his fitness, body shape and bowling form. 

Edited by Gollum
9 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Weird idea, I won't have him bat at number 4. He can be a good number 8, as a supporting cast for the main batsman

My prob with him at 8 is he has no power game , the guys is a better batsman then rayudu who is in line 

Bhajji was good no.8 but ashwin is a diff batsman 

He is not my 1st choice at no.4 but i wud like to have that option atleast if nothing works 

Just now, Gollum said:

How is Bhuvi's bowling form? If bad, we have to go with both Ash/Jaddu in the squad. I repeat our number 8 batter can't be a mug with the bat, should be one among Bhuvi/Jaddu/Ash, couldn't care less if one of the strike bowlers has to sit out. 

bhuvi isnt the same bowler post his back injury....although his batting has improved . He cannot play ahead of shami .....shami has been excellent in last few months 

Our 4 best bowlers are Bumrah, Kuldeep, Shami and Chahal. But as stated above we aren't winning the WC with that spud of a tail. I will be happy if they drop Chahal for one of Bhuvi, Jadeja Or Ashwin.

But it's a really tough call between these three. In terms of

Batting:  Jadeja > Ashwin > Bhuvi

Bowling:  Ashwin = Bhuvi > Jadeja

Fielding:  Jadeja > Bhuvi > Ashwin

Bhuvi perhaps will be more suited to the conditions in England. But then we are left with just 1 genuine spinner and 5 pace bowling options. Ashwin, I am afraid has missed the bus. So the fight is between Bhuvi and Jadeja. 

Edited by AuxiliA
17 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

Our 4 best bowlers are Bumrah, Kuldeep, Shami and Chahal. But as stated above we aren't winning the WC with that spud of a tail. I will be happy if they drop Chahal for one of Bhuvi, Jadeja Or Ashwin.

But it's a really tough call between these three. In terms of

Batting:  Jadeja > Ashwin > Bhuvi

Jadeja cant bat in LOI, even bhuvi is better then him . Jadeja is absolute rubbish with bat in LOI

16 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Jadeja cant bat in LOI, even bhuvi is better then him . Jadeja is absolute rubbish with bat in LOI

I agree on Jadeja being overrated in LoIs and should not be batting higher than 8, but come on, he's still a better bat than Bhuvi (& fielder too). 

That being said I think we should play Bhuvi and give him an extended opening spell. That way he would be more effective and we would have 3 genuine wicket-takers (Bum, Kul, Shami)  in the middle and death. Also our tail will be somewhat strengthened. 

11 minutes ago, AuxiliA said:

I agree on Jadeja being overrated in LoIs and should not be batting higher than 8, but come on, he's still a better bat than Bhuvi (& fielder too). 

Not really bhuvi has improved his batting a lot in last 2 yrs in LOI...he has played some useful knocks. I dont remember the last time jadeja played something good in LOI 

Lets not forget jaddu idiotic running which got pandya out in CT final and cud have gotten many runout in asia cup

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
24 minutes ago, Khota said:

Right now he is playing with passion but there are other spinners ahead of him. Once again I am on the fence on this one.

Like Gopal- but kohli wont pick any new player for Wc or else i wud have had rajpoot as 4th fast bowler

Ashwin batting is also miles ahead of gopal 

K gowtham, markhande had the biggest chance but i dont see them also getting in 

Ashwin is offering a package which other spinners arent plus he has experience which kohli loves. 

19 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Like Gopal- but kohli wont pick any new player for Wc or else i wud have had rajpoot as 4th fast bowler

Ashwin batting is also miles ahead of gopal 

K gowtham, markhande had the biggest chance but i dont see them also getting in 

Ashwin is offering a package which other spinners arent plus he has experience which kohli loves. 

Ashwin is doing decent but I am still not sure. He does offer experience which is so important at WC level.

8 minutes ago, Khota said:

Ashwin is doing decent but I am still not sure. He does offer experience which is so important at WC level.

Exp even jaddu offers experience+ a top class fielder  

But at this point he is an offie with many variation + batting+ a leader in the group 

23 minutes ago, cowboysfan said:

I am really not keen on Jaddu on the WC squad but Ashwin  cant field AT ALL and he offers nothing in batting in ODIs,i would stick with Jaddu for his fielding even if he only subs in and not be in the playing 11.

yuzi offers nothing in field and with bat also, atleast ashwin is a safe catcher

About ashwin batting well if u bat him above he can be useful 

He is decent in India but not so good overseas.Just pick an extra swing bowler who can bowl better yorkers as 15th man.No need to carry 3 spinners to England.

He has not set the scene on fire this ipl. 7 wickets in 6 matches on tracks that are decent for spinners.

With Rayudud,Dhoni,Kedar,Dhawan,Rohit we don't really need any more experienced oldies.The fielding unit is already bad.

Edited by diehardpacer
1 hour ago, cowboysfan said:

I am really not keen on Jaddu on the WC squad but Ashwin  cant field AT ALL and he offers nothing in batting in ODIs,i would stick with Jaddu for his fielding even if he only subs in and not be in the playing 11.

That's still more than what our dud tailenders offer at present. It's a straight shootout between Chahal and Ashwin as far as I am concerned. Jaddu should travel with the squad, 12th man every match. 

Edited by Gollum

Someone like Agarwal is a much better option at #4 .... can win you a game with the bat .... too bad that Ind wasted time on likes of Rayudu, Shankar, etc. .... I hope Ind does not limit itself by not picking inform and impactful new players by going with the pointless "too late to". If your old car keeps breaking down, you do not take it to the race track by hoping that it will magically start to run like a new car and also be competitive. You will have to get a new car