WC squad selected, DK n Jaddu selected.....no rayudu, pant

5 minutes ago, Sachinism said:

MSD is a machine and will play every single game.

KL could be backup keeper if ever needed. We could've gone in with a better bat than DK. As much as people hate Rayudu, he scores runs. 

DK just hasn't scored enough runs

We cud have gone with a seamer, rayudu only scores against week sides or when good sides have week atack or are in week position

1 minute ago, vvvslaxman said:

Jaddu selection is not surprising. I knew they would go for experience given their track record

Have seen his experience in ct 2017. He is no more than part timer on those pitches. Good batsman will easily score against him. His fielding might save few runs though but if we are playing bhuvi + jaddu + hardik pandya then it's gonna get worse cause all 3 don't pick wickets.

Positives:

- No Rayudu....more so because MSK is a fellow Gunturite :phew:

- Super trundlers like Kaul, Undercutter, Dhawal kept aside, else who knows had they been in squad stupid TM would have dropped Bumrah/Shami and played one (or all :phehe:) of them in a big match.

- KLR as back up opener, best bet if one of our regular openers is off colour. Keeping is a big plus. 

- At least selectors think Shankar is #4, now hope Kohli doesn't shaft him up and down the order. I see no reason why he can't do at least 80-90% of what Smith/Kane do on average. I will take that because of lack of better options, Shankar is best suited to rotating the strike and not overburdening top 3 like Dhoni does. Also he bowls at the right pace to get movement in the air in English conditions.

- 3-4 quicks who will travel to England as net bowlers. Ideally we need 1 leftie (Khaleel) to prepare against Starc/Boult/Amir/Fizz/Shaheen etc, 1 tall bowler like Ishant to get steep bounce from good length, 1 genuine quick who hits the deck hard like Saini and a natural swing bowler (Chahar) to prepare against Willey types who will use the new ball to strike early. It is advisable to keep the main quicks wrapped in cotton wool, 11 matches to win a WC and no easy opposition, so conserving their energy is paramount. 

Neutral:

- Jaddu in the squad. As long as Kohli doesn't play him in the XI it's good. In Sir we have possibly the best 12th man of the tournament, his fielding will be a game changer at some point. SLA finger spinner who will provide practice in the nets to help us prepare against Santner, Imad Wasim, Maharaj, Shakib etc. Hope we also take Ashwin to England, not as part of squad but as a net bowler to prepare the batsmen against finger spin, mystery spin. His experience, inputs to the TM, reading of conditions etc will be handy. BCCI has the :money:, now use it FGS :cheer:. Carry Ishant, Chahar, Saini, Khaleel, Ashwin as the reserve bowlers to help in training sessions. 

Negatives:

- No 4th quick, are you *ing kidding me :whack:? We may have to play 3 frontline quicks in the 1st half of the tournament, you want them to burn out, get injured, go easy to preserve their bodies? Ideally would have loved to see Saini or Ishant as part of the squad. Now I fear the main quicks may be hesitant to go all out lest they pick up irritating niggles. This is the highest version of stupidity, 3 spinners, 3 quicks for a WC in England !!!

- Karthik. I am not a hater but he is one of the worst ODI batsmen of all time, avg 31, SR 73 after almost 100 ODIs in this era and he can't even keep well. Granted he is a better fielder than Pant but he isn't a player who is expected to star in a WC winning campaign. I am not sold out on present version of Pant, TM's fault he wasn't inducted 18 months earlier. KLR is good enough to be our 2nd keeper, maybe we should have picked a 4th quick in place of DK. If I had it my way I would have dumped Dhoni post 2017 CT and groomed a replacement, but we are well past that stage now and Kohli needs Dhoni on the field. The entire team building exercise post 2015 WC/2017 CT has been a gargantuan clusterfukc. 

- Dud tail, *ers don't know which side of the bat has the handle. Selectors have done nothing to address the tail. Imagine having Kuldeep, Shami, Chahal, Bumrah as our last 4 in a WC KO match? Waise bhi our middle order is pants. It's not like we have the middle order of 2003/07 Aus or 2011 India and remember even 2003 Aus needed tailender Bichel to bail them out in a couple of matches ( Bichel batted at #9 against NZ, #10 against Eng). Our already stressed middle order will be even more stressed, will play a conservative brand of cricket because convenient excuse is already there. Top 3 has one more reason to be extra selfish now. We might need to play Bhuvi as #8 to cover this hole but does his bowling warrant selection? And surely in later matches on used/dry pitches, late summer we will play 2 spinners, meaning only 2 slots for quicks. Should Bhuvi replace either of Shami/Bumrah then? Or even worse Jadeja in the staring XI :fear1:, trust me he is a worse ODI bat than Bhuvi and offers very little with the ball. 

My verdict:

Safe selection, avoided a few pitfalls but no inspiration either. This is the type of squad you select that will give a decent performance and ensure a SF spot, not one that will win the trophy. 

Edited by Gollum

How come vijay shankar is good selection when he haven't played even 10 odis yet and doesn't even half single half century. His bowling is harmless on flat decks. Just cause he has shown potential in one knock that doesn't mean he will get spot for worldcup that easily. In this way turner too should have been aus squad.

Edited by Nikola
38 minutes ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Problem with Shaw and Gill is that they're both openers and that position is already locked. Shaw hasn't played ODIs and Gill failed to impress in the few chances he got.

Gill got two chances? The same time Rohit/Dhawan looked like tail enders in same match. 

5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Neutral:

- Jaddu in the squad. As long as Kohli doesn't play him in the XI it's good. In Sir we have possibly the best 12th man of the tournament, his fielding will be a game changer at some point. SLA finger spinner who will provide practice in the nets to help us prepare against Santner, Imad Wasim, Maharaj, Shakib etc. Hope we also take Ashwin to England, not as part of squad but as a net bowler to prepare the batsmen against finger spin, mystery spin. His experience, inputs to the TM, reading of conditions etc will be handy. BCCI has the $$$$, now use it. Carry Ishant, Chahar, Saini, Khaleel, Ashwin as the reserve bowlers to help in training sessions. 

My verdict:

Safe selection, avoided a few pitfalls but no inspiration either. This is the type of squad you select that will give a decent performance and ensure a SF spot, not one that will win the trophy. 

Preparation for Imad Wasim,Shakib and Maharaj :laugh: 

Any ways agree 100% with your verdict

Pretty much an expected squad,so no surprises or disappointments. Would have personally preferred Pant or a 4th seamer like Saini for Jadeja though but it is what it is.

Hpow the fk does Jadeja keep becoming a front runner and get into the squad in these tournaments :wall:

Just now, maniac said:

Preparation for Imad Wasim,Shakib and Maharaj :laugh: 

And Santner, maybe forgetting a few others :laugh:. We need to have all bases covered :yess: and I have to balance the cloud of pessimism around here regarding Sir's selection :dontknow:. We already carry 5-6 pathetic fielders in our XI, least we can do is have the best fielder in the world as 12th man !!!

MSK has done his job by keeping Jaddu in the squad, now up to Kohli to do his job and ensure Jaddu isn't in starting XI.