Jump to content
Harsh Thakor

Who was the most naturally talented or gifted batsmen ever from the sub-continent?

Who was the most naturally talented or gifted batsmen ever from the sub-continent?  

21 members have voted

  1. 1. Who was the most naturally talented or gifted batsmen ever from the sub-continent?

    • Sachin Tendulkar
    • Sunil Gavaskar
      0
    • V.V.S.Laxman
      0
    • Virendra Sehwag
    • Aravinda De Silva
    • Inzamam Ul Haq
      0
    • Majid Khan
      0
    • Javed Miandad
      0
    • Virat Kohli
    • Mohammad Azharuddin
      0
    • Zaheer Abbas
      0
    • Gundappa Vishwanath
    • Kumar Sangakaara
      0
    • Mahela Jayewardene
      0
    • Roy Dias
    • Vijay Manjrekar
      0
    • Sannath Jayasuriya
      0
    • Saed Anwar
    • Dilip Vengsarkar
      0
    • Younis Khan
      0


Recommended Posts

This is my list in order of merit of the the most talented or gifted  batsmen ever from the sub-continent.It does not consider statistical records , technique or overall class but only the degree of natural genius posessed by the batsmen.

 

1.Gundappa Vishwanath- Equivalent of a magician to batting taking artistry to regions of divinty.Wristwork of mythical proportions.,being  the best ever executor of the square and late cut.

 

2.Majid Khan-On his day could punish the good balls like Viv Richards taking batting aesthetics to depths of the sublime.The best ever exponent of the hook shot from the sub-continent

 

3.Virendra Sehwag-Took batting domination to its ultimate zenith and wizardy to regions unexplored.Some of his strokes were simply surreal like his square drive to balls 10 onches outside hi soffstum.

 

4.Sachin Tendulkar-Mastery like none able to hit the best of balls to the fence through the V'.Best ever batsmen in the 'V 'area and of the straight drive.

 

5.V.V.S.Laxman-Another version of Vishwanath taking artistry and inventivenes to mythical proportions.

 

6.Inzamam Ul Haq-In his era bated more like Viv Richards than anyone with lightning reflexes.

 

7.Virat Kohli-I have never seen a batsmen place a ball with more precision or insight.Best at the cover drive.

 

8.Zaheer Abbas-The batting equivalent of a poet or painter whose deft touches would send the best balls racing to the boundary.No batsmen was a better exponent of the drive through extra cover.

 

9.Saed Anwar-Almost as punishing as Sehwag but much more graceful and poetic.

 

10.Roy Dias-Artistry in region sof the sublime with his strokes like the sound of a flute.

 

11.Aravinda De Silva-Capable of taking any attack apart in any conditions  and turn a game.

 

12.Javed Miandad-Not elegant or graceful  a but a master in manipulating the field with his great improvisation.Posessed strokes which had touches of genius like his pull shot.

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

Edited by Harsh Thakor

Share this post


Link to post
24 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

This is my list in order of merit of the the most talented or gifted  batsmen ever from the sub-continent.It does not consider statistical records , technique or overall class but only the degree of natural genius posessed by the batsmen.

 

1.Gundappa Vishwanath- Equivalent of a magician to batting taking artistry to regions of divinty.Wristwork of mythical proportions.,being  the best ever executor of the square and late cut.

 

2.Majid Khan-On his day could punish the good balls like Viv Richards taking batting aesthetics to depths of the sublime.The best ever exponent of the hook shot from the sub-continent

 

3.Virendra Sehwag-Took batting domination to its ultimate zenith and wizardy to regions unexplored.Some of his strokes were simply surreal like his square drive to balls 10 onches outside hi soffstum.

 

4.Sachin Tendulkar-Mastery like none able to hit the best of balls to the fence through the V'.Best ever batsmen in the 'V 'area and of the straight drive.

 

5.V.V.S.Laxman-Another version of Vishwanath taking artistry and inventivenes to mythical proportions.

 

6.Inzamam Ul Haq-In his era bated more like Viv Richards than anyone with lightning reflexes.

 

7.Virat Kohli-I have never seen a batsmen place a ball with more precision or insight.Best at the cover drive.

 

8.Zaheer Abbas-The batting equivalent of a poet or painter whose deft touches would send the best balls racing to the boundary.No batsmen was a better exponent of the drive through extra cover.

 

9.Saed Anwar-Almost as punishing as Sehwag but much more graceful and poetic.

 

10.Roy Dias-Artistry in region sof the sublime with his strokes like the sound of a flute.

 

11.Aravinda De Silva-Capable of taking any attack apart in any conditions  and turn a game.

 

12.Javed Miandad-Not elegant or graceful  a but a master in manipulating the field with his great improvisation.Posessed strokes which had touches of genius like his pull shot.

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

Are you Majid Khan? He/ you  was decent but not in the sublime class you claim 

From a perspective of someone  from outside sub continent, Mohammed Azurhudin was most talented and gifted 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Are you Majid Khan? He/ you  was decent but not in the sublime class you claim 

From a perspective of someone  from outside sub continent, Mohammed Azurhudin was most talented and gifted 

Azhar was extremely stylish  and elegant but not as talented as a Sehwag,Vishy or laxman.Nevertheless only a shade below.Ofcourse posessed artistry in  region sof divinty.and ultimate genius in leg-side strokes like glance and flick.

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

Are you Majid Khan? He/ you  was decent but not in the sublime class you claim 

From a perspective of someone  from outside sub continent, Mohammed Azurhudin was most talented and gifted 

Agreed Azhar was the most elegant I have seen. What a delightful player to watch.

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Azhar was extremely stylish  and elegant but not as talented as a Sehwag,Vishy or laxman.Nevertheless only a shade below.Ofcourse posessed artistry in  region sof divinty.and ultimate genius in leg-side strokes like glance and flick.

Azhar was certainly more talent than Laxman who did not have the extra gear which Azhar had.  he still holds the fastest test 100 for India with Kapil Dev.

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, rkt.india said:

Azhar was certainly more talent than Laxman who did not have the extra gear which Azhar had.  he still holds the fastest test 100 for India with Kapil Dev.

Sorry remember Laxman's classic batting in Kolkata and  Adelaide in Australia ?The ultimate match-winner in a 4th innings and better player of genuine pace than Azhar or Sehwag.Compare batting in Australia of the 2.

Share this post


Link to post
25 minutes ago, retired_hurt said:

Anyone who thinks Sehwag was more talented than Sachin can't be taken seriously. Sachin could play all the shots which Sehwag did. He just chose not to.

Sorry if an error but the great  Viv Richards felt Sehwag resembled him more than anyone.Viru has more mammoth scores with 2 triple centuries and scored his double centuries at a better scoring rate than Tendulkar.For sheer domination even if my a slender margin he surpassed Sachin.

Share this post


Link to post
23 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Sorry remember Laxman's classic batting in Kolkata and  Adelaide in Australia ?The ultimate match-winner in a 4th innings and better player of genuine pace than Azhar or Sehwag.Compare batting in Australia of the 2.

that does not matter.  here we are talking about talent and not the results.  Even Azhjar some scintillating innings against pacers like in SA 1996.

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Sorry if an error but the great  Viv Richards felt Sehwag resembled him more than anyone.Viru has more mammoth scores with 2 triple centuries and scored his double centuries at a better scoring rate than Tendulkar.For sheer domination even if my a slender margin he surpassed Sachin.

So? Tendulkar was more talented than both Viv and Sehwag.  Don Bradman said Tendulkar reminded him of himself.

Edited by rkt.india

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

This is my list in order of merit of the the most talented or gifted  batsmen ever from the sub-continent.It does not consider statistical records , technique or overall class but only the degree of natural genius posessed by the batsmen.

 

1.Gundappa Vishwanath- Equivalent of a magician to batting taking artistry to regions of divinty.Wristwork of mythical proportions.,being  the best ever executor of the square and late cut.

 

2.Majid Khan-On his day could punish the good balls like Viv Richards taking batting aesthetics to depths of the sublime.The best ever exponent of the hook shot from the sub-continent

 

3.Virendra Sehwag-Took batting domination to its ultimate zenith and wizardy to regions unexplored.Some of his strokes were simply surreal like his square drive to balls 10 onches outside hi soffstum.

 

4.Sachin Tendulkar-Mastery like none able to hit the best of balls to the fence through the V'.Best ever batsmen in the 'V 'area and of the straight drive.

 

5.V.V.S.Laxman-Another version of Vishwanath taking artistry and inventivenes to mythical proportions.

 

6.Inzamam Ul Haq-In his era bated more like Viv Richards than anyone with lightning reflexes.

 

7.Virat Kohli-I have never seen a batsmen place a ball with more precision or insight.Best at the cover drive.

 

8.Zaheer Abbas-The batting equivalent of a poet or painter whose deft touches would send the best balls racing to the boundary.No batsmen was a better exponent of the drive through extra cover.

 

9.Saed Anwar-Almost as punishing as Sehwag but much more graceful and poetic.

 

10.Roy Dias-Artistry in region sof the sublime with his strokes like the sound of a flute.

 

11.Aravinda De Silva-Capable of taking any attack apart in any conditions  and turn a game.

 

12.Javed Miandad-Not elegant or graceful  a but a master in manipulating the field with his great improvisation.Posessed strokes which had touches of genius like his pull shot.

 

 

 

 

 

.

 

 

You have a man crush for evverything green. Majid Khan was a thug and there was nothing great about him. Inzmam and Anwar were the two best bats coming out of Pakistan.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

Sorry if an error but the great  Viv Richards felt Sehwag resembled him more than anyone.Viru has more mammoth scores with 2 triple centuries and scored his double centuries at a better scoring rate than Tendulkar.For sheer domination even if my a slender margin he surpassed Sachin.

Did you see Sachin bat in 90s? Just because he put a great price on his wicket and didn't throw his bat after every ball doesn't make him less talented than Sehwag. 

 

Just out of curiosity, how do you define talent? Are you measuring it by looking at how aggressive the batsman was? Or how he could easily put good deliveries to boundary? 

Share this post


Link to post

Sehwag was not talented than Sachin. Sehwag was better in attacking spin bowlers than Sachin but he had no clue  against fast bowlers on seaming wickets.

 

Sachin is the most talented batsman from any country in last 75 years that includes Gary Sobers.It is the genius of Sachin that people like me still feel he has underachieved in his career.His genius lied in his simplicity in his technique, all other batsmen like Viv , Sehwag were done the moment their reflexes slowed down.Sachin could score 200 in an ODI after 20 years of playing international cricket. 

 

How the heck is Majid Khan talented sorry guys who avg in 30s don't fall in talented category and where is Azhar, Mahela and Sanga. Mahela and Sanga were 100 times more talented than Roy Dias.

Edited by putrevus

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, retired_hurt said:

Anyone who thinks Sehwag was more talented than Sachin can't be taken seriously. Sachin could play all the shots which Sehwag did. He just chose not to.

sorry sachin did not play those and sehwag did..like 300 in test..

 

ok bye

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, Vilander said:

sorry sachin did not play those and sehwag did..like 300 in test..

 

ok bye

This exposes you as an hater. Anyone who thinks Sehwag more talented than Sachin is either a hater or a poster with an agenda. Hypocrsiy of you calling others agenda posters who doesn't agree with your agenda. :phehe: You can call Sachin selfish. That's fine because he was selfish in the last phase of his career like most subcontinent greats including your pet Dhongi.

Edited by Pollack

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, Pollack said:

This exposes you as an hater. Anyone who thinks Sehwag more talented than Sachin is either a hater or a poster with an agenda. Hypocrsiy of you calling others agenda posters who doesn't agree with your agenda. :phehe: You can call Sachin selfish. That's fine because he was selfish in the last phase of his career like most subcontinent greats including your pet Dhongi.

Many CSK fans seem to unnecessarily hate on Sachin...this despite his long and fruitful association with the city be it with Chepauk or MRF. Sad to see IPL sow so many divisions among cricket fans. 

Share this post


Link to post
42 minutes ago, Pollack said:

This exposes you as an hater. Anyone who thinks Sehwag more talented than Sachin is either a hater or a poster with an agenda. Hypocrsiy of you calling others agenda posters who doesn't agree with your agenda. :phehe: You can call Sachin selfish. That's fine because he was selfish in the last phase of his career like most subcontinent greats including your pet Dhongi.

Tendulkar is a product of hard work and natural talent. Sehwag is an unadulterated natural talent. You can imitate Sachin like Sehwag initially did. You can't imitate Sehwag. Those horizontal shots against the turn through the point is a natural thing. You could say the same about Azharuddin. Tendulkar before going to Australian tour would ask bowlers to bowl from 15 ft with wet ball and practice for hours. Same way when he wanted to take on Warne, he asked L Siva to bowl on the rough and practiced. Same way during his 241 at Sydney he made a conscious decision not to play through the offside and made a 241. He is a very hard worker. That is why he had such a long career. Sehwag despite having no experience in opening the innings in Tests he succeeded as an opener with a strike rate of 81.   Even Tendulkar will not disagree that Sehwag was a unique talent that we may never see again in Tests. That doesn't mean Tendulkar is talentless. But he worked really hard to get where he reached. Guys like Lara, Sehwag are more flair players. They just reacted to the ball. 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Sachin was a well rounded, complete test cricketer by the age of 18, how's that for talent? Wish he had Lara's hunger for daddy 100s, Viru's fearlessness or Laxman's mental toughness.....any 1 of those attributes and he would have been undisputed best of post WW-2 era. Talent-wise I have never seen his equivalent, at least in cricket.

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Sachin was a well rounded, complete test cricketer by the age of 18, how's that for talent? Wish he had Lara's hunger for daddy 100s, Viru's fearlessness or Laxman's mental toughness.....any 1 of those attributes and he would have been undisputed best of post WW-2 era. Talent-wise I have never seen his equivalent, at least in cricket.

Not even Vishy?Remember his artistic genius.

Share this post


Link to post
Tendulkar is a product of hard work and natural talent. Sehwag is an unadulterated natural talent. You can imitate Sachin like Sehwag initially did. You can't imitate Sehwag. Those horizontal shots against the turn through the point is a natural thing. You could say the same about Azharuddin. Tendulkar before going to Australian tour would ask bowlers to bowl from 15 ft with wet ball and practice for hours. Same way when he wanted to take on Warne, he asked L Siva to bowl on the rough and practiced. Same way during his 241 at Sydney he made a conscious decision not to play through the offside and made a 241. He is a very hard worker. That is why he had such a long career. Sehwag despite having no experience in opening the innings in Tests he succeeded as an opener with a strike rate of 81.   Even Tendulkar will not disagree that Sehwag was a unique talent that we may never see again in Tests. That doesn't mean Tendulkar is talentless. But he worked really hard to get where he reached. Guys like Lara, Sehwag are more flair players. They just reacted to the ball. 
 

Hitting the ball hard and ability to score fast is not the only measure of talent. I am one of the Sehwag’s biggest fan and one of biggest critics of Sachin .

Ability to adapt according to pitch condition , type of bowling and state of the match is also a talent.

That’s where Sachin is way above any other player.ABDV has that ability he could if we are impartial he is one greatest talents as there is nothing he could not do with bat.sachin did longer therefore I put him above ABDV.

Viv , Sehwag knew only one way .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, putrevus said:


Hitting the ball hard and ability to score fast is not the only measure of talent. I am one of the Sehwag’s biggest fan and one of biggest critics of Sachin .

Ability to adapt according to pitch condition , type of bowling and state of the match is also a talent.

That’s where Sachin is way above any other player.ABDV has that ability he could if we are impartial he is one greatest talents as there is nothing he could not do with bat.sachin did longer therefore I put him above ABDV.

Viv , Sehwag knew only one way .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. It involved a fair amount of hard work. Ganguly was also a gifted timer. I have heard he never went to practice.

Share this post


Link to post
Yes. It involved a fair amount of hard work. Ganguly was also a gifted timer. I have heard he never went to practice.

It is not about just hard work, it is about having the technique also. Both Sachin and ABDV had that beautiful technique which enabled them to do more than just scoring runs. They could survive on any wicket and play any type of game. They could defend all day too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, putrevus said:


It is not about just hard work, it is about having the technique also. Both Sachin and ABDV had that beautiful technique which enabled them to do more than just scoring runs. They could survive on any wicket and play any type of game. They could defend all day too.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Technique is just one aspect. Discipline, Temperament also goes with it. There was a time when Manjrekar was hailed as the technically the best batsman in the world.  Guys like Gower, Treschothik, Ganguly, Lara, Azharuddin have this flair that comes naturally to them even much of feet movement.  Ability to play on different surfaces is a byproduct of hard work. Dravid's ability against swing is better than anybody including Tendulkar as he has this great ability to play besides the ball instead of going straight at the ball.  Many English commies also praised so much that English batsmen should learn from Dravid against swing. Each batsman is blessed with some level of talent. Tendulkar maximized it by hardwork.  Tendulkar didn't play a single sweep shot for a good 6 or 7 years since he made debut. Later on he realized it needed to be part of his strokes and headded it.  Tendulkar is a bit like Bradman who also used to practice for hours. TEndulkar's biggest ability was picking the length quicker than anyone. There was a time he could pull even slightly short of full balls. If you can pick the length quickly half the job is done. Batting is all about getting into the right position to receive the ball. Tendulkar was pretty good at that. Kambli was never blessed with that talent. He was not willing to work hard as well. Result is a failed career.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, putrevus said:


Hitting the ball hard and ability to score fast is not the only measure of talent. I am one of the Sehwag’s biggest fan and one of biggest critics of Sachin .

Ability to adapt according to pitch condition , type of bowling and state of the match is also a talent.

That’s where Sachin is way above any other player.ABDV has that ability he could if we are impartial he is one greatest talents as there is nothing he could not do with bat.sachin did longer therefore I put him above ABDV.

Viv , Sehwag knew only one way .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes ABDV is a freak.  He was the difference India winning and losing last test series in SA

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Yes. It involved a fair amount of hard work. Ganguly was also a gifted timer. I have heard he never went to practice.

Dravid is the product of sheer hard work.  Tendulkar had the talent along with hard work.  

Share this post


Link to post
32 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Dravid is the product of sheer hard work.  Tendulkar had the talent along with hard work.  

That is what i say. Tendulkar is not just a pure talent. He was able to maximize it through hard work. Dravid had his own talent. You should see his on drives in his debut test. They were breath taking. Also one of the best puller Indian team ever had.

Edited by vvvslaxman

Share this post


Link to post
This is my list in order of merit of the the most talented or gifted  batsmen ever from the sub-continent.It does not consider statistical records , technique or overall class but only the degree of natural genius posessed by the batsmen.
 
1.Gundappa Vishwanath- Equivalent of a magician to batting taking artistry to regions of divinty.Wristwork of mythical proportions.,being  the best ever executor of the square and late cut.
 
2.Majid Khan-On his day could punish the good balls like Viv Richards taking batting aesthetics to depths of the sublime.The best ever exponent of the hook shot from the sub-continent
 
3.Virendra Sehwag-Took batting domination to its ultimate zenith and wizardy to regions unexplored.Some of his strokes were simply surreal like his square drive to balls 10 onches outside hi soffstum.
 
4.Sachin Tendulkar-Mastery like none able to hit the best of balls to the fence through the V'.Best ever batsmen in the 'V 'area and of the straight drive.
 
5.V.V.S.Laxman-Another version of Vishwanath taking artistry and inventivenes to mythical proportions.
 
6.Inzamam Ul Haq-In his era bated more like Viv Richards than anyone with lightning reflexes.
 
7.Virat Kohli-I have never seen a batsmen place a ball with more precision or insight.Best at the cover drive.
 
8.Zaheer Abbas-The batting equivalent of a poet or painter whose deft touches would send the best balls racing to the boundary.No batsmen was a better exponent of the drive through extra cover.
 
9.Saed Anwar-Almost as punishing as Sehwag but much more graceful and poetic.
 
10.Roy Dias-Artistry in region sof the sublime with his strokes like the sound of a flute.
 
11.Aravinda De Silva-Capable of taking any attack apart in any conditions  and turn a game.
 
12.Javed Miandad-Not elegant or graceful  a but a master in manipulating the field with his great improvisation.Posessed strokes which had touches of genius like his pull shot.
 
 
 
 
 
.
 
 
I personally think Anwar was the most talented Pakistani cricketer....

Sewhag is the most talented cricketer from India...

Sachin is the product of hardwork and talent, Dravid is mostly hardwork. Sehwag was purely talent....

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post

I think its become some kind of fashion for some people in India to downplay Sachin's talent. Just like the "liberal" minded people who criticize everything Indian and praise foreigners. 

 

Nigga please, Sachin is one of the greatest batsmen to have ever played the game. He is easily the best SC batsman.

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/17/2019 at 4:31 AM, Harsh Thakor said:

Sehwag more attacking but Inzy better against genuine pace and on fast tracks.

Uh what? Inzi averaged 31 in Australia and 32 in South Africa while averaging over 50 everywhere else. He sucked against bounce and pace in bouncy conditions. What you're claiming is a myth, Sehwag did better than him in both those countries.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Guest, sign in to access all features.

×