Rayudu, Pant, Saini named standbys in India World Cup squad.

Ambati Rayudu and Rishabh Pant might be disappointed at being left out of India's World Cup squad, but the duo is part of the three players named as standbys by the selectors.

ESPNcricinfo understands that the selectors proposed having Rayudu, Pant and Delhi fast bowler Navdeep Saini as three back-ups in case there was any injury in the 15-man squad that was announced on Monday.

It is understood that there is no order in which one of the three standbys would be picked, but the selectors would make their choice depending on the requirement of the team in case of an injury to the main squad player.

Out of the three standbys, only Saini will travel to England currently as he is also part of the quartet of net bowlers that the BCCI approved to travel with the squad. Along with Saini, Deepak Chahar, Mohammed Khaleel and Avesh Khan would be part of the Indian entourage.

The development comes as minor solace for Rayudu and Pant, who were considered favourites in the lead-up to the selection. MSK Prasad, the chairman of Indian selection committee, said that Rayudu lost his spot to Tamil Nadu batting allrounder Vijay Shankar because the latter brought "three dimensions."

Although Pant has not reacted in any form, Rayudu posted a cryptic message on his Twitter on Tuesday saying he had ordered a 3-D glasses to watch the World Cup. It is believed that both the BCCI and the selectors have noted Rayudu's reaction which they described as emotional.

Link - http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/id/26543651/ambati-rayudu-rishabh-pant-navdeep-saini-named-wc-standbys

1 hour ago, rkt.india said:

Avesh is just 22 and has more potential.  While Saini is at his peak at 26 and is an experienced FC bowler. Saini is the present, Avesh is the future.

I agree....

Saini on Present Skills deserved to be in 15.

but now he is the 16th...who knows he gets an opportunity anyway.

i think they could have dropped CHAHAL or Jaddu and Picked Saini.

7 minutes ago, chewy said:

thank goodness, Shanker was picked ahead of Rayudu

I do not have much expectations from him-

I am kinda seriously worried that after the pressure created by shammi bumrah and bhuvi n kuldeep, he could be attacked big time , hardik may not ball 10 overs and his 2 or 3 overs could be attacked big time too.

but bhuvi bumrah and shammi look to be in good form.

hardik does not look in full rhythm and vj shankar looks exactly like Binny definitely not better.