Who was the most entertaining batsmen of all?

Who was the most entertaining batsmen of all?  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who was the most entertaining batsmen of all?

• Sachin Tendulkar
    • Virendra Sehwag
    • Viv Richards
    • Brian Lara
    • Adam Gilchrist
    • Chris Gayle
    • Saed Anwar
    • Sannath Jayasuriya
    • Kevin Pieterson
    • Rohan Kanhai
    • Gary Sobers
    • Gundappa Vishwanath
    • Walter Hammond
    • Everton Weekes
    • A B Devilliers
    • Shaheed Afridi
    • Ricky Ponting
    • Kumar Sangakaara
    • Kapil Dev
    • Gilbert Jessop

Here I am rating in order of merit the most entertaining batsmen of all.The criteria is not records,technique ,artistry or pure class but the pleasure they radiated amongts the crowds putting them virtually on the edge of their seats.

1.Viv Richards -Intimidated  bowling attacks  at a height never equalled like a bomber raiding an airbase.No cricketer ever looked more in control of proceedings .

2=.Virendra Sehwag/AB Devilliers- Took batting domination to it's supreme height crossing regions unexplored.Unbelievable imagination

4.Chris Gayle-As explosive as Viv but not as skilled.

5.Sannath Jayasuriya -Power and grace personified giving opening in batting  a new dimension

6.Adam Gilchrist /Gilbert Jessop-Both made the impact of dynamite exploding

8.Shahid Afrid-relatively short career but on his day another form of a Gayle or Gichrist capable of putting a stadium on fire.Played some of the most swashbuckling knock ever.

9.Brian lara- Took batting aesthetics and inventiveness to regions of the sublime executing strokes that were surreal.

10.Kevin Pieterson-Blazed away against the best if bowling attacks and in his day resembled Viv as a middle-order batsmen  more than anyone.

11.Don Bradman -The ultimate cricketing machine like a creature from another planet. Amassed runs at an unimaginable rate.Equivalent of a great emperor striding out to greet his subjects.

12.Barry Richards-Epitome of batting perfection

13.Sachin Tendulkar-Closest to the perfect batsmen with Barry Richards No batsmen performed better in the 'v'

14.Walter Hammond -Unfortunate to play in era of the Don who took domination to the height of divinity.

15.Gary Sobers-A more refined form of Lara with better technique and more power.Closest to the perfect left-handed batsmen.

16.Everton Weekes-A ressurected form of Bradman with an unorthodox style.Few batsmen ever as pugnacious.

17.Rohan Kanhai-In full  flow the closest to Bradman and arguably the most imaginative of all batsmen

18.Zaheer Abbas/David Gower revealed poetry in motion more than anyone posessing grace of the divine

19.Gundappa Vishwanth-Never hit a six in his life but took batting aesthetics to regions unexplored.

20.Majid Khan-Limited footwork but on his day in the Viv or Barry Richards league.

21.Ian Botham/Kapil Dev-Few batsmen ever struck the ball harder and enjoyed their batting more

24.Greg Chappell- The purists delight with a great range of strokes

25.Javed Miandad-Not elegant or so correct but still had some strokes of his very own like the pull shot which thrilled fans.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

I never really saw Viv batting as my start of "cricket watching career"  coincided with his end of cricket career. So, based on the folks I saw play, I have no doubt in my mind that Virender Sehwag is the most entertaining batsman that I ever so. Never before had I seen a cricketer approach all formats of the game with the same simple approach towards batting that if there is a ball to be hit, it MUST BE HIT!! It doesn't matter whether it is the first ball of the innings, whether it is the last ball before lunch, last ball before end of play or what. His uncomplicated batting mindset always amazed me especially in Test cricket as an opening batsman (a position he was not even familiar to in domestic cricket). 

Sehwag takes the cake in pure exhilarating play that setup Test match wins for India by blowing away the opposition before they could even recover and see what is happening! Top player!!!