Finally they are using Analytics for Player Selection

Khota

1 hour ago, mani sha said:

Sport is sport . Idiots used to give much credit to Tendulkar 100 but a rapid 50 in 30 balls by Sehwag was more important .. analytic etc now prove it .

In the chennai test chasing 387 Sehwag won the man of the match. Same way at Headingley Despite Tendulkar scoring 193, Dravid won the man of the match for his 148. Yup Raw numbers won't tell you the whole story

5 hours ago, Khota said:

You can either be a smart ass or learn from others. You chose to make a poor decision. 

Not one Indian cricket player can meet the athleticism standards of a baseball player. Try to learn frrom others rathe than bein arrogant.

Nothing to learn from you. Run along.

5 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

Under what circumstances do you think Mr Jadeja deserves a spot in the 15 member squad? Karthik, fine, atleast he won us the niandas trophy and saved us from ample trolling. But JADEJA WHY? 

Jadeja is a decnet bowler and can be effective against all non asian teams. Is an excellent fileder and a decnt batsman.

Shankar is the one I don't understand. He has no track record and no experience.

15 hours ago, Khota said:

Jadeja is a decnet bowler and can be effective against all non asian teams. Is an excellent fileder and a decnt batsman.

Shankar is the one I don't understand. He has no track record and no experience.

Studying to be a comp scientist and working as one, I understand the importance of algorithms first hand. However, in a situation like this, human emotion, loss of form, match situation needs to be taken into consideration where an algorithm is incapable of accurately telling you the whole story.

Now let's tackle the problem here. Shankar, I can't disagree with you here. Pretty sure, lot of us are wondering the same. But when it comes to Jadeja, we have seen him play for a decade now. You think he is a decent bat? Why? Excellent fielder, started off as a crappy bowler but soon evolved into a mediocre at best type of bowler, but can't save his life with the bat. But in all honesty, why do you think he is a decent bat? He bats at a position where we need a boom boom type of batsmen, yet he bats like a tailender - for some reason is considered as an allrounder.

Edited by Zero_Unit
17 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

Studying to be a comp scientist and working as one, I understand the importance of algorithms first hand. However, in a situation like this, human emotion, loss of form, match situation needs to be taken into consideration where an algorithm is incapable of accurately telling you the whole story.

Now let's tackle the problem here. Shankar, I can't disagree with you here. Pretty sure, lot of us are wondering the same. But when it comes to Jadeja, we have seen him play for a decade now. You think he is a decent bat? Why? Excellent fielder, started off as a crappy bowler but soon evolved into a mediocre at best type of bowler, but can't save his life with the bat. But in all honesty, why do you think he is a decent bat? He bats at a position where we need a boom boom type of batsmen, yet he bats like a tailender - for some reason is considered as an allrounder.

Like I mentioned it is not perfect but extremely useful. It can be finetuned. If unstable planes can fly by computers picking a team is not that difficult provided the inputs are correct.

once again Jadeja is an excellent fielder, a decent bat and a bowler.

3 minutes ago, Khota said:

No. Go look at the numbers.

what numbers

an avg of 29 n s/r 84 which reduces to 82 when he bats at 7.........

I dnt give a fck about avg at 7 but that s/r is horrible......u call that numbers :hysterical:

remind me when did he do with something with bat last time in LOI .............cmmn it wud be easy as the guy has only 3-4 good innings in 10 long yr career 

3 hours ago, Khota said:

Like I mentioned it is not perfect but extremely useful. It can be finetuned. If unstable planes can fly by computers picking a team is not that difficult provided the inputs are correct.

once again Jadeja is an excellent fielder, a decent bat and a bowler.

I have to ask, did you ever pick up an algorithm book and give it a read? If so, how do you input human emotion, loss of form, etc into it? Don't get me wrong, it is extremely useful and definitely important when looking at your players but your comments makes me think you don't know much about how an algorithm works. A perfect example of this is the Cricinfo analysis table. Allows your to analyze players (I would assume using query tables). However, it barely tells you the actual story - will never tell you how a player performs under pressure, what the match situation was, etc.

Also, regarding jadeja, you said that he is a decent bat. Out of his 29ish odd ODI avg, how many times was he not out to inflate that stat? He has played about 150 ish matches, yet has no century and about 9-10 50's. Very poor SR to add to that, considering the position he bats at. 

1 hour ago, Zero_Unit said:

Also, regarding jadeja, you said that he is a decent bat. Out of his 29ish odd ODI avg, how many times was he not out to inflate that stat? He has played about 150 ish matches, yet has no century and about 9-10 50's. Very poor SR to add to that, considering the position he bats at. 

at 7, avg n 100s shud not be seen

but jadeja uselessness can be seen in his s/r which is horrible and the last time he was useful with bat in LOI must have been in 2013

10 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

at 7, avg n 100s shud not be seen

but jadeja uselessness can be seen in his s/r which is horrible and the last time he was useful with bat in LOI must have been in 2013

Yep thats true but what I was trying to portray as a message is that if you take H. Panday and gave him 150 ish match, he would have atleast 1-2 century under his name batting at that position. The Position Jadeja bats at is what makes a difference between a big score or a subpar/avg score.

11 hours ago, Zero_Unit said:

I have to ask, did you ever pick up an algorithm book and give it a read? If so, how do you input human emotion, loss of form, etc into it? Don't get me wrong, it is extremely useful and definitely important when looking at your players but your comments makes me think you don't know much about how an algorithm works. A perfect example of this is the Cricinfo analysis table. Allows your to analyze players (I would assume using query tables). However, it barely tells you the actual story - will never tell you how a player performs under pressure, what the match situation was, etc.

You need to decouple from human emotion because they don't do anything. You can keep on fine tuning these algorithms till youi achieve a desired result. If you have doubts then just remember Deep Blue and that was a decade back. With AI things are changing rapidly so multiple inputs can be accounted for.

As far as picking a algorithm book my formal education is upto high school only.