Gautam Gambhir: "It is disgusting to see that Rayudu is being judged more on his IPL form and less on his overall skill sets."

GAUTAM.jpg

Gautam Gambhir:

"Let us talk about Rayudu first. It is disgusting to see that he is being judged more on his IPL form and less on his overall skill sets. I am not a big fan of statistics as they never tell you the whole story. I am sure you would remember what I wrote about Andre Russell and his inclusion in the KKR squad back in 2014. Before we played him in 2014, Russell only had 58 runs to show in seven games for his earlier franchise Delhi Daredevils."

28 minutes ago, Oldhere said:

Ok and what abt last year when his ipl form got him in team.

GG to me seems to have gone into senile mood in his quest to sound different nd anti establishment 

No. Let’s be clear it was told wc squad is more or less set. Ipl form won’t matter. Rayudu was in team which played Aussies at home. Question was on backup keeper position only. Yet rayudu was dropped and gambhir is questioning the reason. 

does rayudu merit to be in squad is a whole different debate ? 

KL Rahul and Vijay have done nothing to merit their selection. Just like some idiot fans, the selectors are counting on "potential" and what they could do as their performances dont give anyone confidence.

Rahul is pretty much the most inconsistent batsman in ODIs, Vijay is a below average bowler and has decent hitting ability but nowhere capable of playing a long innings or bat consistently.

Rayudu would feel disappointed being left out of WC squad after having done well in ODIs. 

4 hours ago, jf1gp_1 said:

No. Let’s be clear it was told wc squad is more or less set. Ipl form won’t matter. Rayudu was in team which played Aussies at home. Question was on backup keeper position only. Yet rayudu was dropped and gambhir is questioning the reason. 

does rayudu merit to be in squad is a whole different debate

Correct. Rayudu's form was a concern even before the IPL started but his poor run in the tournament sealed his fate. If he had done well in IPL, he would have been part of the squad. DK hasn't done anything special in this IPL either but he got a spot thanks to his WK skills I guess. 

4 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

bhaisahaab aap Ind-Aus home n away series men so rahe the kya ???

U knw what disgusting rayudu being hyped by ex-cricketers on minnow bashing. Wasnt that disgusting when he was picked only on IPL form

What have the likes of sharma and Dhawan down recently ? 

You can’t drop a batsmen based on 3 innings . The fault was persisting with him past 2-3 years . I don’t like Rayudu much , but I just don’t see how KL or shankar or DK got ahead of him . 

8 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

What have the likes of sharma and Dhawan down recently ? 

when u talk about sharma n dhawan na their is large volume of perfomance and every big player goes through ups n down. Dnt talk as if u hve never seen tendulkar or dravid runs drying up

Rayudu hasnt done even 10% of these guys , forget talking bout his lack of ability pace n bounce

8 minutes ago, jusarrived said:

You can’t drop a batsmen based on 3 innings . The fault was persisting with him past 2-3 years . I don’t like Rayudu much , but I just don’t see how KL or shankar or DK got ahead of him . 

Kl, shankar, DK all have more quality against quality attacks ....rayudu doesnt as simple as that 

Rayudu had a chance he screwed so they went back to someone who had better quality coz rayudu ddint have either- nor quality nor form

He is right. If Rayudu was dropped due to IPL form, how exactly have Shankar and DK been selected?

Shankar's stats read 139 runs@20 and 1 wicket@54 so far

DK numbers are 111 runs@18 and 4 catches

Rayudu's numbers are 163 runs@24

None of these guys deserved a spot if IPL was the criteria. More Kohli and MSK Prasad try to defend these illogical selections, further they will keep tying themselves in the knotts and we will have more gems like 3 dimesional cricketer and DK being a better keeper than our Test keeper.

14 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

when u talk about sharma n dhawan na their is large volume of perfomance and every big player goes through ups n down. Dnt talk as if u hve never seen tendulkar or dravid runs drying up

Rayudu hasnt done even 10% of these guys , forget talking bout his lack of ability pace n bounce

Kl, shankar, DK all have more quality against quality attacks ....rayudu doesnt as simple as that 

Rayudu had a chance he screwed so they went back to someone who had better quality coz rayudu ddint have either- nor quality nor form

Please don’t even try to put hacks like Sharma and Dhawan in the same league of tendulkar and Dravid . 

Dhawan is inconsistent and Sharma is a proven FTB . If Rayudus technique is suspect , it’s the same for Dhawan and Sharma who have been found wanting against swing , bounce or spin on multiple ocassions . Yes both are better than Rayudu , but not by a big margin and considering we have been struggling to find a good middle order bat and in comparison there are a half a dozen batsmen who can open currently , I would say Rayudus case is stronger than these two one dimensional hacks who can only open .

KL and DK are just potential, there is nothing to show they are good fit for ODI no4 .

Sahankar , I don’t buy the hype . He’s extremely lucky to have played for India . I haven’t seen much of his bowling , but he’s not more than a 30 avg bat and looks inferior to Rayudu as a pure batsmen 

Rayudu has nothing to complain with numbers like below: 

View overall figures [change view]
Primary team India  remove India from query
Start of match date between 1 Jan 2019 and 31 Dec 2019  remove between 1 Jan 2019 and 31 Dec 2019 from query
Batting position between 1 and 6  remove between 1 and 6 from query
Qualifications innings batted greater than or equal to 5  remove innings batted greater than or equal to 5 from query
Ordered by batting strike rate (descending)
Page 1 of 1 Showing 1 - 6 of 6   First pageFirst Previous pagePrevious Next Next page Last Last page dblBakArwB.gifReturn to query menu
dblBakArwW.gifCleared query menu

Overall figures
Player Mat Inns NO Runs HS Ave BF SRDescending 100 50 0 4s 6s  
V Kohli 11 11 0 611 123 55.54 648 94.29 3 1 0 57 5 investigate this query
KM Jadhav 10 8 3 256 81* 51.20 281 91.10 0 2 0 27 3 investigate this query
S Dhawan 13 13 1 420 143 35.00 475 88.42 1 2 2 52 4 investigate this query
RG Sharma 13 13 0 556 133 42.76 701 79.31 1 4 1 44 16 investigate this query
MS Dhoni 8 7 4 327 87* 109.00 417 78.41 0 4 0 22 6 investigate this query
AT Rayudu 10 10 2 247 90 30.87 328 75.30 0 1 2 24

Moreover, IPL was an opportunity for Rayudu to show that he is getting back to whatever got him selected in the first place. Ind appears to have gone with Shankar, who may not be a big upgrade from a batting PoV. Benefits are better fielding and ability to bowl 2-3 overs, which may not mean much in the context of a 100 overs game

Would have liked if Ind had gone with someone like Agarwal, who showed good form in the test series vs Aus and also has the game for LOIs

In bilaterals, you can even play Bhuvi/Ashwin/Jadeja at 4 but in a tourney like WC, you need a solid match winner type of batsman. You can get away by playing a stroke-maker in the top order to leverage on PP but at #4, you need someone who can play as per situation, take calculated risks where required, build a partnership if wkts fall early, try to play till the end if possible, and so on 

Ind could pay the price of not investing in a solid #4 and backing some of the past their best players! .... Ind starts its inning as if it is 2 down, so may be openers are playing like a #4 :rolleyes:

Edited by zen