Backdoor pant entry

Most cricket fans agree pant to be in team 

in place of - karthick or perhaps an injured opener or an injured keeper ( dhoni )

but say two more good ipl performances - will they get him in ? Remember final squad not announced yet and he waits 

Pant for Kartick is logical in so many ways, get the guy in. Offers another explosive option if we decide to try him. Dhoni will be keeping anyway so not like Kartick can play. 

I'd drop Kartick and Shankar for Pant and Saini. What's the role of Shankar? To score a 30 at number 4, bowl 2 innocuous overs at 120kmph and dive around? Bits and pieces like Binny, such players can be max a batsman at number 7 but we have a match winner like Pandya in that role who is superior and 3D :D If he was capable of getting tons then he was a good bet at 4, but I haven't seen this nor is his FC record one of a run maker.  

Pant offers x factor if there's an injury or tactic option, Saini too. Both have talent for international level and yes they are raw but good back up options for WC and unknown to opponents.

Edited by ViruDilSeKhelo
1 hour ago, ViruDilSeKhelo said:

Pant for Kartick is logical in so many ways, get the guy in. Offers another explosive option if we decide to try him.

Explosiveness is useless if you get out for 20-odd. That's fine for a No. 8, not a top 6 batsman especially when your middle order is already fragile and the tail is long.

2 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Explosiveness is useless if you get out for 20-odd. That's fine for a No. 8, not a top 6 batsman especially when your middle order is already fragile and the tail is long.

We saw what he did in test matches with the bat in this very country, UK. He hasn't had enough odis and i hope he doesn't go the sehwag route, sometimes very aggressive players shoot themselves in limited overs cricket. Viru was better in tests than odi for this reason.

Anyway pant needs time to sort himself out. Your opinion about 20 runs being useless is true but you forget he has utility. What if dhoni is injured and we need a power hitter and keeper ? What if shankar fails at 4 and we need to push everyone up one spot ? Would you rather kartik at 7 or pant in that situation? Also a lefty. Kartik is a boring stone age back up with limited gears. We need some versatility and brilliance, the squad is already very robotic and predictable.

After world cup I think m pandey/iyer will get a run at 4. If shankar seals this spot id be very surprised.

Edited by ViruDilSeKhelo
3 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

HOnestly in one dayer "explosiveness" is not needed. It is needed only at the back end where you could afford to lose your wickets. It will be nice to have though. In one dayers you can reach targets like 280 without muscling the ball. Only when you chase 300 we will be in trouble. Having said India is one team that chases better than other teams when Kohli and Rohit click.  Indian players cannot keep on taking risks with our current XI. Two dumb shots will set off a collapse. We would go at a slower rate than usual rate. 

2 hours ago, ViruDilSeKhelo said:

What if dhoni is injured and we need a power hitter and keeper ? What if shankar fails at 4 and we need to push everyone up one spot ?

Are you serious? Pant would make the XI worse if he comes in place of one of the top 5, not better. He's as reliable as Afridi.

Karthik is mediocre but he's the less worse of the two. 

12 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

Are you serious? Pant would make the XI worse if he comes in place of one of the top 5, not better. He's as reliable as Afridi.

Team is filled with mediocre ...an Afridi like 40 more valuable as it brings momentum - our biggest issue has been lack of power hitters since yuvi dhoni days . Now Jadhav’s does the hitting and opposition gets the power 

22 hours ago, TNAmarkFromIndia said:

You didn't understand my message. I said if dhoni is injured, we could easily push everyone up one position and pant could come at 7. Kartik is simply a journeyman. I hope Rahul gets number  4 position in world cup. He's capable of much bigger scores than shankar and this is important for no.4. Ideally I'd love dhoni here but it won't happen. Big top 4: rohit dhawan kohli dhoni. Then some hitting from  jadhav, Rahul, pandya would be great. Jaddu/bk/shankar even at 8. 

Edited by ViruDilSeKhelo