Which was the best innings ever in the history of the world cup?

Which was the best innings ever in the history of the world cup?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best innings ever in the history of the world cup?

• Sachin Tendulkar 98 v Pakistan in 2003
    • Kapil Dev 175 v Zimbabwe in 1983
    • Viv Richards 181 v Sri Lanka in 1987
    • Brian Lara 111 v South Africa in 1996
    • Cllive Lloyd 102 v Australia in 1975
    • Adam Gilchrist 149 v Sri Lanka in 2007 final
    • Ricky Ponting 140 in 2003 final
    • Inzamam Ul Haq 60 in 1992 semi-final
    • Zaheer Abbas 93 v West Indies in 1979 semi-final
    • Alvin Kalicharan 78 v Australia in 1975
    • Aravinda De Silva 107 in 1996 final
    • Aravinda De Silva 66 v India in 1996 semi-final
    • Steve Waugh 120 n.o.v South Africa in 1999
    • Virendra Sehwag 48 in 2011 v Pakistan
    • Mahenra Singh Dhoni 100 n.o in 2011 final
    • Mohinder Amarnath 80 v West Indies in 1983
    • Viv Richards 138 n.o in 1979 final
    • Collis King 86 in 1979 final
    • Krishnamachari Shrikanth 38 in 1983 world cup final
    • Gundappa Vishwanath 75 v West Indies in 1979

The 25 best innings ever played in the world cup ranked in order of merit.

1.Alvin Kalicharan 78 v Australia at the Oval in 1975

2.Sachin Tendulkar 98 v Pakistan in 2003

3.Clive Lloyd 102 v Australia in 1975 final

4.Kapil Dev 175n.o v Zimbabwe in 1983

5.Collis King 86 v England in 1979 final

6.Inzamam Ul Haq 60 v New Zealand in 1992

7.Steve Waugh 120 n.o. v South Africa in 1999

8.Zaheer Abbas 93 v West Indies in 1979

9.Viv Richards 138 in 1979 final

10.Adam Gilchrist 149 n.o in 2007 final

11.Gundappa Vishwanath 75 v West Indies in 1979 at Edgbaston

12.Brian Lara 111 v South Africa in 1996.

13.Aravinda De Silva 66 at Kolkata in 1996 versus India in semi-final

14.Ricky Ponting 140 v India in 2003 final

15.Mohinder Amarnath 80 v West Indies at Oval in 1983

16.Mohsin Khan 70 v West Indies in 1983

17.Alan Lamb 67 n.o v West Indies in 1987

18.Majid Khan 81 v West Indies in 1979

19.Viv Richards 181 v Sri Lanka in 1987

20.Virendra Sehwag 48 v Pakistan in 2011 semi-final

21.Aravinda De Silva 107 n.o in 1996 final v Australia

22.Mahinder Singh Dhoni 100 in 2011 final

23.Krishnamachari Shrikanth 38 in 1983 final

24.Sannath Jayasuriya 82 v England in 1996

25.Imran Khan 102 v Sri Lanka in 1983

1.Kalicharan 78 at top because of domination against the fastest paceman in Brdamanseque proportion which was close to the most merciless onslaught against a pace attack ever.Blended the power of a bulldozer with the artistry of a musician.Made the likes of Lillee and Thomson at their fastest look pedestal.

2.Tendulkar's 89 v Pakistan was closest to the perfect innings revealing skill in regions of the sublime,punishing the best of deliveries to the fence.

3.Cllive Lloyd took domination of bowling to it's pinnacle enabling his team to win the inaugural world cup.Rose to an occasion like few cricketers have ever done with a series of blazing strokes all around the wicket.

4.Kapil Dev ressurected his side from the grave to the pinnacle of glory like no cricketer ever in his unbeaten 175 and above all set the turning point from which India went on to capture the title.

5.Collis King ,more than Viv won the 1979 world cup for his side with a blitzkreig of hitting all around the wicket.

6.Inzamam in 1992 turned the fate or complexion of a world cup semi-final like nonone ever with a dazzling display of strokeplay .Crafstmanship at its supreme height.

7.Steve Waugh displayed discipline , organization and grit of a military commander with the most balanced innings ever in a run chase in the world cup.

8.Zaheer Abbas's 93 was the connoisseurs delight revealing artistry in depths rarely crossed,putting Paksitan on the verge of an improbable win against the best pace attack ever.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

Haven't seen all of them. To simplify this for me, I will focus on knocks that I have seen played in the final:

• De Silva vs Aus 1996
  • Ponting 140 vs Ind 2003
  • Dhoni 90 odd vs SL in 2011 

From what I recall:

• SL lost Jayasuriya (and Kalu) early chasing 240 odd. De Silva carried SL home 
  • Ind put Aus in. Gilchrist gave a flyer. Ponting came and took the game away. Aus scored 350 odd, when 350+ totals were extremely rare 
  • There was some controversy at the toss which SL won. Ind lost Ten and Sehwag. GG played a great knock of 90 odd (should be on the list too), Dhoni continued the good work to take Ind home

For its utter dominance, I would give it to Ponting. Was an unusual knock esp. in a final (Viv probably played similarly in 1979 but haven't watched that knock; did not follow 2007 WC much after Ind exit so don't remember much of Gilly's 149). Completely flattened the opposition 

Kapil Dev, 175. 

I mean 17/5 in a 60 over match, which was back in the day, when batting and scoring 300 was much tougher, against a solid Zimbabwe side, batting with tailenders and scoring 175 has to be it. Even today scoring 170+ is not that common. 

It's sad that there was no telecast or recording of that innings. Which makes it more special, I guess but we will never get to actually witness how the innings unfolded.

Edited by I6MTW

All things combined , it has to be Kapil's 175*

1. the score of 175 itself is so mammoth.

2. He remained not out , so could have added a few more to his score.

3. India was reeling at 17/5 with only him and tail enders left.

4. Had India lost the match, it should have been curtains, so it was virtually a quarter final.

5. The final  winning margin shows as to how important that knock was, because with out his knock India would definitely have lost.

6. Kapil put on 175/266 = 66% of team runs(by far the most share by a single batsman in any  world cup inns).

7. Another emphatic  measure  of  'a knock becoming the  decisive factor in a match'  is determined by  the 'knock/margin of loss' ratio. India won this match by a mere 31 runs. For instance in Kapil's case it was 175/31 = 5.65 . This value is so huge  which indicates as to 'what would have happend if Kapil didn't play  that inns'.

In my view, ' points 6 & 7 combined'   in the above is the most vital factor that determine the value of knocks.  

Edited by rtmohanlal

From whatever I've watched

Aravinda de silva 66 in 96 semi. Easily one of the all time great ODI innings. Coming in after like a single digit score of 2 down and 35/3 he kept smacking boundary after boundary and raced to 66 off just 47 deliveries. I mean our bowling was piss poor but still you've to imaginge 100,000 Indians screaming their lungs out but he kept silencing them with 4 after 4.

When he got out at 85/4 at 14 overs his score was 66 and negated most of the early wicket advantage that India had any. India should ideally have restricted their scoring but they failed at it.

S. Waugh 120. IMO, in my all time WC ODI 11, he'd be my #5 and captain. i'd pick him to bat for life over Tendulkar and Lara.

Haven't watched Kapil 175. Coming i at at 17/5 and smacking 175 is unbelievable.

Honorable mentions: Inzamam knock at 92 semi.

Edited by Stan AF
18 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Kapil Dev, 175. 

I mean 17/5 in a 60 over match, which was back in the day, when batting and scoring 300 was much tougher, against a solid Zimbabwe side, batting with tailenders and scoring 175 has to be it. Even today scoring 170+ is not that common. 

It's sad that there was no telecast or recording of that innings. Which makes it more special, I guess but we will never get to actually witness how the innings unfolded.

How was Zim solid?

14 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

How was Zim solid?

Well, Zim did beat Aus in their first ever ODI match.

Duncan Fletcher was their best player from their 1983 squad . The Zim team of 80s and 90s had a few inspired performances such as the win against England and Australia. But they weren't consistent enough, losing almost all their matches. They were competitive for the most part, despite losing. Such as the match against India. Without Kapils innings, they would've definitely won that match.

Their peak was of course, the late 90s to early 00s. They had a stacked squad of quality batsmen and bowlers, that could challenge the best teams. 

2 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Well, Zim did beat Aus in their first ever ODI match.

Duncan Fletcher was their best player from their 1983 squad . The Zim team of 80s and 90s had a few inspired performances such as the win against England and Australia. But they weren't consistent enough, losing almost all their matches. They were competitive for the most part, despite losing. Such as the match against India. Without Kapils innings, they would've definitely won that match.

Their peak was of course, the late 90s to early 00s. They had a stacked squad of quality batsmen and bowlers, that could challenge the best teams. 

Scotland beat Australia the eventual champions in 99 doesn't make them a solid team. Same with Kenya of 2003.

56 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Scotland beat Australia the eventual champions in 99 doesn't make them a solid team. Same with Kenya of 2003.

Difference was Zimbabwe was competitive for the most part even though they were losing. And the 00s Zimbabwe team was quite good.

As for Kenya, they were quite solid for the most part, consistent from late 90s to mid 00s. I think they even have wins against India and some other teams, if im not wrong.

21 hours ago, Stan AF said:

From whatever I've watched

Aravinda de silva 66 in 96 semi. Easily one of the all time great ODI innings. Coming in after like a single digit score of 2 down and 35/3 he kept smacking boundary after boundary and raced to 66 off just 47 deliveries. I mean our bowling was piss poor but still you've to imaginge 100,000 Indians screaming their lungs out but he kept silencing them with 4 after 4.

When he got out at 85/4 at 14 overs his score was 66 and negated most of the early wicket advantage that India had any. India should ideally have restricted their scoring but they failed at it.

S. Waugh 120. IMO, in my all time WC ODI 11, he'd be my #5 and captain. i'd pick him to bat for life over Tendulkar and Lara.

Haven't watched Kapil 175. Coming i at at 17/5 and smacking 175 is unbelievable.

Honorable mentions: Inzamam knock at 92 semi.

Absolutely agree brilliant analysis on Aravinda I too thought his 66 was a masterpiece and better than his century in the final.