Why is CSK such a MI's bunny ?

philcric

2 minutes ago, Laaloo said:

Oh come on. The game was over before he came to the crease. 

P.s even Rohit has been crap against csk so not saying he's some sort of great batsmen against csk. The true nemesis for csk is Pollard. He singlehandedly won 3 IPLs for :mi: against thalas team.

I gave you raw stats.  He is still their best batsman after Raina who himself blew hot and cold. Hayden and Badri were two other guys played well against MI.  Bhajji played a crucial role for MI in the past, especially at Chennai.  

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

3-9 where it matters, woh bhi ghar mein ghus kar mara :p:

Fed will always be Nadal's bunny. How about Fed chickening out during clay swing for 2 consecutive years?

Nadal isn't Nole's bunny....9-6 where it counts and positive H2H in 2 majors.

Ok back to cricket...

Fed skipping clay was more due to his age and fitness. Facing nadal on Clay was secondary. In 2016, he played Monte Carlo and Rome not feeling well, and coming off a knee injury. He wasn't bad in 2016 when u consider his injury. Obviously his clay game has decline this decade due to his age. But the racket change and his improved neo backhand has helped in overturning the rivalry against Nadal. He is in Nadals head now. Had federer considered that racket change earlier, he might've had success against Nadal earlier. Even now considering Nadals clay form this season, and the signs of decline last season, a prime Federer would've feasted on Claydal. 

Plus that lopsided 23-10 before 2017, was due to Federer's 2013 season where he injured his back. Still choosing to play, he lost around 5-6 straight matches against Nadal. Making the H2H more lopsided. The rivalry was always in phases, Nadal dominating at a stretch , then federer coming back with a series of victories, then Nadal again notching up victories, followed by federer with a series of wins, etc. Had federer managed to convert the MPs in Rome 06, the clay h2h might be different now with a confident Fed even pulling of a few of those wins in RG against nadal like 06, 11, maybe even 07(his best of the RG finals against Nadal)

Where it really took off was 2008(Fed's Mono season) he was ill, he still played the season well, but not even close to his 2007 form, losing atrociously to Nadal at RG. Damaging his confidence, he lost his hold over Wimbledon, then the mental scars carried over to 2009 AO. But , in the end , he finally managed to overturn the rivalry in 17, thus cementing his status as GOAT, finally managing to overcome this greatest rival. Which frankly, not many in history have managed to do.

As for Nadal not being in Djokovic's head. He most definitely is! Since 2009 Madrid, the clay h2h is 7-7 if I'm not wrong. He has been the most competitive against Nadal on Clay, even beating him in RG. Nadal has not beaten Nole in HCs since 2013 USO. His last win against Nole on grass was 2010 Wimbledon. He couldn't even beat a subpar Nole in 2018 W. Nole was extemely low on confidence, an atrocious season up till the grass season. While Nadal, had a very good Clay season, came into Wimbledon with confidence, easy draw, the tournament was there for his taking. He still couldn't get thru .  Not to mention , getting destroyed by Nole in this year's AO, which was Nadals best HC form in a slam.

3 hours ago, Gollum said:

3-9 where it matters, woh bhi ghar mein ghus kar mara :p:

Fed will always be Nadal's bunny. How about Fed chickening out during clay swing for 2 consecutive years?

Nadal isn't Nole's bunny....9-6 where it counts and positive H2H in 2 majors.

Ok back to cricket...

Fed skipping clay was more due to his age and fitness. Facing nadal on Clay was secondary. In 2016, he played Monte Carlo and Rome not feeling well, and coming off a knee injury. He wasn't bad in 2016 when u consider his injury. Obviously his clay game has decline this decade due to his age. But the racket change and his improved neo backhand has helped in overturning the rivalry against Nadal. He is in Nadals head now. Had federer considered that racket change earlier, he might've had success against Nadal earlier. Even now considering Nadals clay form this season, and the signs of decline last season, a prime Federer would've feasted on Claydal. 

Plus that lopsided 23-10 before 2017, was due to Federer's 2013 season where he injured his back. Still choosing to play, he lost around 5-6 straight matches against Nadal. Making the H2H more lopsided. The rivalry was always in phases, Nadal dominating at a stretch , then federer coming back with a series of victories, then Nadal again notching up victories, followed by federer with a series of wins, etc. Had federer managed to convert the MPs in Rome 06, the clay h2h might be different now with a confident Fed even pulling of a few of those wins in RG against nadal like 06, 11, maybe even 07(his best of the RG finals against Nadal)

Where it really took off was 2008(Fed's Mono season) he was ill, he still played the season well, but not even close to his 2007 form, losing atrociously to Nadal at RG. Damaging his confidence, he lost his hold over Wimbledon, then the mental scars carried over to 2009 AO. But , in the end , he finally managed to overturn the rivalry in 17, thus cementing his status as GOAT, finally managing to overcome this greatest rival. Which frankly, not many in history have managed to do.

As for Nadal not being in Djokovic's head. He most definitely is! Since 2009 Madrid, the clay h2h is 7-7 if I'm not wrong. He has been the most competitive against Nadal on Clay, even beating him in RG. Nadal has not beaten Nole in HCs since 2013 USO. His last win against Nole on grass was 2010 Wimbledon. He couldn't even beat a subpar Nole in 2018 W. Nole was extemely low on confidence, an atrocious season up till the grass season. While Nadal, had a very good Clay season, came into Wimbledon with confidence, easy draw, the tournament was there for his taking. He still couldn't get thru .  Not to mention , getting destroyed by Nole in this year's AO, which was Nadals best HC form in a slam.

16 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Nothing makes me sicker

than liquor

and candy

its too expandy

Ogden Nash

46 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Ifs and buts, esp too many what ifs....if he didn't change his racket head earlier clearly his fault. 

FACT: Nadal ragdolled Fed on clay

Fed's excuse of skipping clay in 2017/18 was the surface's adverse effect on his knees. But clay is the softest surface for knees, if I had weak knees I would be more bothered about HCs. That sounded like an excuse on his part because his days of winning on clay were long past. No way was Fed competing with 2017/18 Claydal.

Fed's neo-backhand lasted till 2017 IW, whilst it is still decent enough it can't be called an offensive weapon anymore, at least not on a consistent basis. The decline in his FH more than makes up for whatever little gains he made in his BH. BTW his BH was shambolic last year post AO, this year slightly better. 

Anyway Nadal in 2013 US HC swing was playing at a different level, a level Fed hasn't come close to equaling this whole decade. 

Again too many ifs and buts. What if Nadal hadn't shanked that easy BH in 2012 AO F 4-2 up in 5th set? What if Nole hadn't touched the net in 2013 RG SF?

Fed lost most of those RG finals in the mental department, like most of his matches against Nadal. That 2011 final was unforgivable, conditions were so fast with light balls and the way he choked 1st set :facepalm:

Agree about 2008 RG effect, that cost him SW19 and AO next year, 2 very painful losses for a Fed fan.

Too early to call him GOAT with Nole around. Nostalgia aside I think we can make a pretty good case for Nole as his greatest rival and not Nadal. I am a Fed fan but I enjoy Djokodal and Djokerer clashes more than Fedal ones. 

As for Nadal not being in Djokovic's head. He most definitely is! Since 2009 Madrid, the clay h2h is 7-7 if I'm not wrong. He has been the most competitive against Nadal on Clay, even beating him in RG. Nadal has not beaten Nole in HCs since 2013 USO. His last win against Nole on grass was 2010 Wimbledon.

I agree with you, the tide has turned on HC post USO 2013 and even on clay apart from RG Nole has held his own. That is why I believe Nole is slowly making a case for GOAT tag. I won't call Nadal a bunny of Nole over their careers but certainly the toughest opponent as far as playing style is concerned. Still Nadal stole more slams from Nole than the other way around. The ones Nole won he deserved but Nadal beat him in 2 USO finals and then 2012-14 RG when he wasn't demonstrably playing better.

He couldn't even beat a subpar Nole in 2018 W. Nole was extemely low on confidence, an atrocious season up till the grass season. While Nadal, had a very good Clay season, came into Wimbledon with confidence, easy draw, the tournament was there for his taking. He still couldn't get thru .  Not to mention , getting destroyed by Nole in this year's AO, which was Nadals best HC form in a slam.

You have got to admit that was a brilliant match, a clash for the ages. Still with open roof the result could have swung the other way. 

AO was a foregone conclusion, not only is that arena cursed for the Spaniard, he can't compete with Nole/Fed on quick surfaces anymore. He can try to be aggressive and that may fluster others but against his 2 great rivals, that's the wrong approach. His days of winning in AO/SW19 are done just like Fed's in RG/USO. Only Nole can realistically target all 4 majors.

Nadal's best HC form in a slam (recent times) came in 2017 USO, and that surface suited him as opposed to RLA. 

Edited by Gollum

21 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

It's 23-15 plus one walkover from Nadal. For all practical purposes it's 16.

Walkover doesn't count in official stats. Fed gave Nole a walkover in 2014 WTF final, that doesn't figure in their H2H.  

4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Ifs and buts, esp too many what ifs....if he didn't change his racket head earlier clearly his fault. 

FACT: Nadal ragdolled Fed on clay

Fed's excuse of skipping clay in 2017/18 was the surface's adverse effect on his knees. But clay is the softest surface for knees, if I had weak knees I would be more bothered about HCs. That sounded like an excuse on his part because his days of winning on clay were long past. No way was Fed competing with 2017/18 Claydal.

Fed's neo-backhand lasted till 2017 IW, whilst it is still decent enough it can't be called an offensive weapon anymore, at least not on a consistent basis. The decline in his FH more than makes up for whatever little gains he made in his BH. BTW his BH was shambolic last year post AO, this year slightly better. 

Anyway Nadal in 2013 US HC swing was playing at a different level, a level Fed hasn't come close to equaling this whole decade. 

Again too many ifs and buts. What if Nadal hadn't shanked that easy BH in 2012 AO F 4-2 up in 5th set? What if Nole hadn't touched the net in 2013 RG SF?

Fed lost most of those RG finals in the mental department, like most of his matches against Nadal. That 2011 final was unforgivable, conditions were so fast with light balls and the way he choked 1st set :facepalm:

Agree about 2008 RG effect, that cost him SW19 and AO next year, 2 very painful losses for a Fed fan.

Too early to call him GOAT with Nole around. Nostalgia aside I think we can make a pretty good case for Nole as his greatest rival and not Nadal. I am a Fed fan but I enjoy Djokodal and Djokerer clashes more than Fedal ones. 

I agree with you, the tide has turned on HC post USO 2013 and even on clay apart from RG Nole has held his own. That is why I believe Nole is slowly making a case for GOAT tag. I won't call Nadal a bunny of Nole over their careers but certainly the toughest opponent as far as playing style is concerned. Still Nadal stole more slams from Nole than the other way around. The ones Nole won he deserved but Nadal beat him in 2 USO finals, 2012-14 RG when he wasn't demonstrably playing better. 

You have got to admit that was a brilliant match, a clash for the ages. Still with open roof the result could have swung the other way. 

AO was a foregone conclusion, not only is that arena cursed for the Spaniard, he can't compete with Nole/Fed on quick surfaces anymore. He can try to be aggressive and that may fluster others but against his 2 great rivals, that's the wrong approach. His days of winning in AO/SW19 are done just like Fed's in RG/USO. Only Nole can realistically target all 4 majors.

Nadal's best HC form in a slam (recent times) came in 2017 USO, and that surface suited him as opposed to RLA. 

2017 USO was also the easiest slam draw for a player in quite some time. Not a single top 20 player faced in his path to the title. 

I agree the FH is no longer the glorious shot it once was, especially after the racket change, but it still did him more good than bad. 

The backhand has declined in 2018, but his entire form after IW was atrocious. I guess the reports of a hand injure seems not far fetched. It could be the reason why he's playing better now than last year.

As for Federer skipping clay, I agree at his age he has no real chance to succeed on the surface. The oldest RG winner in open era history winner was 34 years. So Federer was keeping himself fresh for Wimbledon, a move that worked in 2017, but backfired in 2018.

Still, I think Federer would've had a chance in 2017, with Murray, Djokovic's decline, and Federer's Renaissance and confidence coming from the sunshine double, along with Nadals lack of confidence on clay(got injured on the surface the prev year, started badly in 17 dropping sets to Edmund, and Fognini(ok maybe not bad but..). There was no competition that year, aside from Thiem . Had Federer played he wouldve had  a better chance than anyone . He was in Nadals head. 3 straight HC victories, one coming from a break down in the final set etc. But, I guess Fed didn't want to lose the mental hold he had over Nadal then. 

I agree Fed-Djokovic rivalry deserves more credit than the Fedal or Djokodal rivalries. Djokodal was mainly too baseline, and Fedal as great as it was, mainly occurred in phases with both of them dominating each other from time to time. It wasn't consistently competitive. 

Federer was Noles most competitive rival in both of Noles best seasons(2011 and 2015). They had some good matches, one thing lacking is the historically significant matches like Wim 08 of Fedal, AO17,  or the Wim 18 of Djokodal etc.

2 minutes ago, Stan AF said:

Basically Federer was on the wrong side of age when it comes to rivalry with both nadal and djokovic.

Exactly, Simply put. 

I doubt Nadal and Djokovic would be playing as well as Federer was in their mid-to-late 30s.

Already their decline is evident, while Fed seems to be able to play competitively until his 40s.

1 minute ago, Stan AF said:

Basically Federer was on the wrong side of age when it comes to rivalry with both nadal and djokovic.

Fed was a late bloomer unlike the other 2. Had all started as 18 year olds at the same time Fed's confidence would have been shattered beyond repair in the 1st 5-6 odd years. 

Fed accumulated many majors in 2003-07 period and built an aura by the time Nole knocked on the door. Against Nadal, huge match up and mental issue cos teenager Nadal gave him hell including on HC. I don't buy the age excuse. 

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

Exactly, Simply put. 

I doubt Nadal and Djokovic would be playing as well as Federer was in their mid-to-late 30s.

Already their decline is evident, while Fed seems to be able to play competitively until his 40s.

But young Nadal/Nole would have smashed Fed beyond repair. And all the time in his 20s Fed would have to go through them to win his majors, not the joke competition we saw in the weak era he plundered. 

Just now, Gollum said:

Fed was a late bloomer unlike the other 2. Had all started as 18 year olds at the same time Fed's confidence would have been shattered beyond repair in the 1st 5-6 odd years. 

Fed accumulated many majors in 2003-07 period and built an aura by the time Nole knocked on the door. Against Nadal, huge match up and mental issue cos teenager Nadal gave him hell including on HC. I don't buy the age excuse. 

Federer's late blooming was due to his mental issues. He was a teenage brat at that age. Quite similar to Kyrgios, and Tonic. But what makes his rise even greater is his ability to overcome that attitude of his, to a player with one of the greatest mental toughness of all time.(Ok, his mental toughness may not be as great as Nole or Nadal(I actually find his a tad overrated, or Borg). But still, he has the most comebacks from two sets down. 

2 minutes ago, Gollum said:

But young Nadal/Nole would have smashed Fed beyond repair. And all the time in his 20s Fed would have to go through them to win his majors, not the joke competition we saw in the weak era he plundered. 

Nahh, Federer even in his 30s still managed to give peak Nole a run for his money. Fed at his peak and prime would destroy Nole. Even federer at His worst last year in Paris managed to take Nole to 3 seats nearly beating.His versatility ,all court ability, rallying skils, and even his ROS was a weapon that time. So Nole would not have been an issue.

It was Nadal who troubled federer, so it wouldve been even if fed had sustained peak and not encountered the 2008 and 2013 years. The rivalry wouldve been very competitive. H2H wouldve been similar to the Djokodal one if Federer was Nadals age.

26 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

2017 USO was also the easiest slam draw for a player in quite some time. Not a single top 20 player faced in his path to the title.

Agree, just like 2018 AO. But they deserve a bit of luck here and there after all they've been through. Can't believe we haven't had a Fedal clash in USO all these years, came within a round of each other so many times. 

I agree the FH is no longer the glorious shot it once was, especially after the racket change, but it still did him more good than bad.

Good against Nadal whose FH/speed has declined. Not sure about Nole, Fed needs a much better FH to beat Nole cos he ain't winning too many BH battles against the Serb. 

As for Federer skipping clay, I agree at his age he has no real chance to succeed on the surface. The oldest RG winner in open era history winner was 34 years. So Federer was keeping himself fresh for Wimbledon, a move that worked in 2017, but backfired in 2018.

Agree.

Still, I think Federer would've had a chance in 2017, with Murray, Djokovic's decline, and Federer's Renaissance and confidence coming from the sunshine double, along with Nadals lack of confidence on clay(got injured on the surface the prev year, started badly in 17 dropping sets to Edmund, and Fognini(ok maybe not bad but..). There was no competition that year, aside from Thiem . Had Federer played he wouldve had  a better chance than anyone . He was in Nadals head. 3 straight HC victories, one coming from a break down in the final set etc. But, I guess Fed didn't want to lose the mental hold he had over Nadal then. 

Nadal was imperious on clay in 2017. Plus on PC he gets an extra boost with the option to stand so deep behind the baseline cos of court geometry. Don't forget even Fed has scars in PC with Nadal at the other end. I believe Fed could have beaten him in Madrid that year, maybe even Rome but not MC/RG.

I think Fed had a bigger mental edge in 2007 RG after those last 2 sets in Hamburg final a fortnight before, even fed Nadal a bagel on clay !!!! But Nadal on PC is a different beast as we keep finding out. In 2007 his BH too was brilliant, remember the match against Blake in Shanghai towards the end of 2006 season? 

Fed skipping RG was a purely tactical decision as you said, he wanted to maintain the mental hold. Same reason why he didn't play on the slow as molasses Monte Carlo pit this year. Only in Madrid does he have a realistic shot at beating Nadal. 

I agree Fed-Djokovic rivalry deserves more credit than the Fedal or Djokodal rivalries. Djokodal was mainly too baseline, and Fedal as great as it was, mainly occurred in phases with both of them dominating each other from time to time. It wasn't consistently competitive. 

Glad that you agree. 

Federer was Noles most competitive rival in both of Noles best seasons(2011 and 2015). They had some good matches, one thing lacking is the historically significant matches like Wim 08 of Fedal, AO17,  or the Wim 18 of Djokodal etc.

I enjoyed the 2010-11 USO semis, 2011 RG SF, 2012 SW19 SF, 2014 SW19 F.....unluckily for them at their peaks they mostly found themselves in the same half especially in majors outside RG. I'll say they had many epics but not in summit clashes. 

Edited by Gollum

25 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Federer's late blooming was due to his mental issues. He was a teenage brat at that age. Quite similar to Kyrgios, and Tonic. But what makes his rise even greater is his ability to overcome that attitude of his, to a player with one of the greatest mental toughness of all time.(Ok, his mental toughness may not be as great as Nole or Nadal(I actually find his a tad overrated, or Borg). But still, he has the most comebacks from two sets down. 

All changed after his coach Peter Carter's death.

He does have most comebacks from 2 sets down (the one against Haas in 2009 RG stands out) but also blown too many matches. His mental toughness is obviously great but not at the level of other GOAT contenders. 

21 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Nahh, Federer even in his 30s still managed to give peak Nole a run for his money. Fed at his peak and prime would destroy Nole. Even federer at His worst last year in Paris managed to take Nole to 3 seats nearly beating.His versatility ,all court ability, rallying skils, and even his ROS was a weapon that time. So Nole would not have been an issue.

Nole has stopped caring about non-major tourneys the way I see it. In my mind Nole would challenge Fed in any situation, so let us agree to disagree here. 

It was Nadal who troubled federer, so it wouldve been even if fed had sustained peak and not encountered the 2008 and 2013 years. The rivalry wouldve been very competitive. H2H wouldve been similar to the Djokodal one if Federer was Nadals age.

16-23 year old Nadal would have ended same age Fed's confidence, here the assumption being all start at same age together. 

Edited by Gollum