Why is Dhoni so good in IPL but not in Internationals?

Pollack

Even the inform hitters will choke against some average bowlers in crunch situation. Let us accept it is a gift that he has this confidence that others can merely dream of. Look at how Stoinis tried the same and failed against Vijay shankar. HE wanted to target him. But missed a straight ball. Two other guys who has this confidence of hitting in the last over is Pandya and Karthik albeit not this consistently over the years. Still good to have them along with Dhoni. So let us be happy all 3 are in the side.

i honestly think with Pandya, Dhoni and DK or Jhadav who ever it is..we have atleast a par hitting ability. With Kohli/Sharma there is bound to be few high scoring games well set for a high finish. Hope bowlers can keep WI hitters at bay, for me the bigger worry is Aus they have batsmen who can counter our bowlers and bowlers who can counter our bats. I think we might loose a game to England and win some, hope its not a semi or final.

17 hours ago, helperononline said:

He took on steyn for six in one of the match  today he took on boult cannot really say that he is only good against indian trundlers

His confidence goes up in IPL knowing the many Indian bowlers he'll get to bat against. 

The confidence remains during those few overs of international bowlers

8 hours ago, rkt.india said:

Didn't know boult is Indian.

Didn't know I was exclusive in my post.

It's like going to an Indian buffet, finding they're serving spring rolls and then saying "Ha you didn't feast on an Indian buffet, coz of spring rolls"

Edited by Sachinism

21 hours ago, bowl_out said:

Looks like he is like DK these days.. does better when there are 5-6 overs left..

maybe they should consider playing him at no.6 in the WC and have Rahul and Shankar at 4 and 5.

Same argument is made for DK,Dhoni and Pandya on the flip side Rohit,Dhawan,Rahul,Kohli etc cannot bat anywhere else than in the top and the rest few cannot hold the bat :laugh:

If Dhoni can play like this in World Cup then we can have two power hitters in Pandya and Dhoni. Unfortunately I think Dhoni will play selfishly in World Cup. Won't take risks to preserve those averages.

On 5/1/2019 at 9:51 PM, Pollack said:

Dhoni plays the with the same intent that we wish him do it while playing for national team.

Does he lack the passion while playing for India?

Or is it that he plays cautiously to save his average?

Have you seen how much animated and expressive he is when he plays for Chennai? The answer is obvious 

50 minutes ago, CSK Fan said:

Come on, it's common sense, if your confidence is high knowing weak bowlers are there and you get going from ball 1 without any pressure  it's easy to later hit better bowler too 

problem with dhoni or his method is , when a weak bowler comes to bowl in the middle phase , he dont take any risk .. considering his age probability of him finishing the game against better bowlers at the death is very low ..

you may not like this .. see how watson bats when chasing .. when he see a weaker bowler he murders them irrespective of the match situation

1 hour ago, CSK Fan said:

Have you seen how much animated and expressive he is when he plays for Chennai? The answer is obvious 

because team is full of winning mentality players .. its easy to get motivated when we we are surrounded by such people

1 hour ago, velu said:

problem with dhoni or his method is , when a weak bowler comes to bowl in the middle phase , he dont take any risk .. considering his age probability of him finishing the game against better bowlers at the death is very low ..

you may not like this .. see how watson bats when chasing .. when he see a weaker bowler he murders them irrespective of the match situation

And the proportion if weaker bowlers is less in international cfoxket so the oldies like 3atson and dhoni struggle 

Scoring in the IPL rarely translates to success on a proper pitch against a proper bowling attack.

Russell, Dhoni and many others are happy to face domestic level bowlers on flat tracks. Heck, even domestic level batsmen end up looking great in the death overs. 

The IPL attacks have domestic Ind bowlers, many of whom are fodder to Dhoni. There's also the possibility that he likes playing for CSK far more than for Ind, or that it's a better fit for his abilities. The latter reminds me of Messi, who is a God for Barca and less so for Argentina.

4 hours ago, Vijy said:

The IPL attacks have domestic Ind bowlers, many of whom are fodder to Dhoni. There's also the possibility that he likes playing for CSK far more than for Ind, or that it's a better fit for his abilities. The latter reminds me of Messi, who is a God for Barca and less so for Argentina.

this is apt comparison. Dhoni is pretty much Sachin of 1990s India and Messi level for his team..i cant fathom many other goat players for their teams who are this talismanic and inherent for their team game plan, may be historically MJ and babe routh from american sporting history.

12 minutes ago, Vilander said:

know its a fun post, but khaleel does not deserve to be there.. he is not a trundler..just tends to be a trundler there is a slight difference.

He isn't a trundler based on what we saw in SMA Trophy, but post the Asia Cup Hong Kong match all he has been doing is trundling. He has the ability to bowl upwards of 140 clicks, sad to see him bowl the way he is doing atm, someone must have messed up his head. Hope he changes for the better.