Which was the best world cup final ever?

Which was the best world cup final ever?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best world cup final ever?

Here I am selecting my best world cup finals in order of merit.I am analyzing the quality of cricket and the competitiveness of the occasion.

1.1975 -Batting ,bowling and fielding at its ultimate best with the vibrations of a cricketing exhibition.The glorious strokeplay of Clive Lloyd taking batting domination to sublime heights,the 3 run outs of Viv Richards displaying the accuracy of an Olympic Javelin thrower ,the combativeness of  Ian Chappell with the ferocity of Lille and Thomson and the never say die spirit of Lillee and Thomson at the very end which almost caused a sensational turn in the plot made it cricket's perfect game.Competitivity of the game at it's highest zenith or intensity with ebb and flow till the end.

2.1983-Although low scoring one of sport's greatest spectacles or upsets.The result looked a foregone conclusion after India were skittled out for a meagre 183.India fought back tenaciously like tigers on the field just when West Indies looked to be cruising with Viv Richards going all guns.A spectacular catch of Viv by Kapil turned the entire complexion of the game and from the depths of despair the entire spirit of the Indian team was ressurected like a phoenix from the Ashes.From 50-1 the Calypsos collapsed to 74 -6 .It appeared like an intervention from the divine.In the end India banged the remaining nails in the Coffin in perfect time to prevent any resurgence and atin untold glory.West Indies bolwed better than they ever did in the world cup but the Indian spirit won the dal like a David conquering the Goliath.

3.1987.Australia  won deserving and the margin of 7 runs may have been too little to reflect their moral superiority on the day to England .Competitivity at it's best but arguably a miscalculated reverse sweep by Gatting of Border robbed England of the Cup.In the end Defreitas gave the Aussies a minor nightmare delivering the final punches of the bag but the ice-cool nerves of the Aussies enabled them to prevail.Greta disciline and organization by Australia in contrast to the lack lackadaisical approach of England.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

Best : 1983, 1987 and 2011..

Worst from a fan standpoint are : 1999, 2007, 2015, 2003 in that order because they were completely one sided and you could say after 5 overs or less who the winner would be. Interestingly, all four were won by Australia

I haven't seen the '75 and '79 ones.

1983 closely followed by 2011 &  then 1996 . First

1983 - GOAT team was humbled and it was not a fluke either because it was the ultimate point of a string of  6 matches starting from Caribbean itself.

2011 - home, chasing a huge total, pressure of expectations of crores,  captain rising emphatically to the occasion

1996 - chasing a highly competitive total by least favorites SL . 

On 5/7/2019 at 4:15 PM, bowl_out said:

Best : 1983, 1987 and 2011..

Worst from a fan standpoint are : 1999, 2007, 2015, 2003 in that order because they were completely one sided and you could say after 5 overs or less who the winner would be. Interestingly, all four were won by Australia

I haven't seen the '75 and '79 ones.

I saw two of them in stadium 2007 and 2015, the worst was 2007. Never felt like I was watching WC final.