T20 cricket is nothing compared to test cricket

sage

Cricket, to me, is an epic. It is unlike any other sport. Every single match is like a total battle between two teams, with battles within battles all over it. As Ian Chappell said, cricket is not a team sport, it is an individual sport played in groups. It is the sum of one team versus the sum of the other.

T20 is ****. Sometimes I have to walk around it and be like "eh it's okay" as to not offend people but being brutally honest, it's *ing garbage. It's all luck and power, there's no grace or subtlety or finesse. Cricket is elegant and smooth and skilful. T20 is brash and crude and juvenile. Whenever I watch a T20 I see no slips, no catchers, no interesting tactics. I see a bowler bowling a rank full toss, a batsman slashing aimlessly at it and getting caught. A bad ball, a bad shot - a wicket. It's almost always like that. A good ball in test cricket is beautiful.

To me, cricket is insanely unique and all of the uniqueness in it is in Test cricket and only test cricket. ODIs are this lame middle ground that honestly manage to be even worse than T20s at times. If you want wild swinging for the hills and bowlers deceiving batsmen with pace, watch baseball. Seriously, there is basically no difference between T20 and baseball. You want ""tight finishes"" watch basketball. T20 is an attempt to make cricket like every other sport on the planet and it sucks all of the things that make it unique and beautiful out of it. Imagine if golf made all the holes 2m wide and the courses 3 holes long. Imagine if tennis changed scoring to first to 10 rally wins is the winner. Imagine if rugby removed the penalty goal. Cricket shouldn't be about explosions and cheerleaders, because there are so many other sports that do that stuff so much better. Cricket is about tea and strike rates of 42 and leaving the ball and Rahul Dravid and seam positions and how many slips you need and complex fluid dynamics. That's why I like it.

In summary, it's the ultimate form of the game of cricket simply because it is the only form that is distinctly cricket. T20 and ODIs were invented to appeal to people who aren't cricket fans, and thus they are often more other sports than they are cricket. Cricket is supposed to be tedious and long-winded and epic and five days and all that ****, that's why it's good. T20 is just a diluted version because not everyone likes that ****.

To me, cricket is the ultimate foreplay. When I bring home a lover, I hand her a bat and I bowl as best I can. The sheer eroticism of trying to defend your wickets from an aggressive bowler drives women wild. The thrill of the hunt and such.

2 minutes ago, sage said:

When I bring home a lover, I hand her a bat and I bowl as best I can. The sheer eroticism of trying to defend your wickets from an aggressive bowler drives women wild.

fb07036f-7bc7-49b5-80b4-26dad5dd6a57.jpg

1 hour ago, sage said:

Cricket is elegant and smooth and skilful. T20 is brash and crude and juvenile. Whenever I watch a T20 I see no slips, no catchers, no interesting tactics. I see a bowler bowling a rank full toss, a batsman slashing aimlessly at it and getting caught. A bad ball, a bad shot - a wicket. It's almost always like that. A good ball in test cricket is beautiful.

its basically two different games played with similar equipment. The skill that you need to look for in a bowler and a batsman are different if you note that and step away from the epic strategy element of the game you can enjoy it. 

imagine a grand strategy game with spot combat scenes leading to a real-time tactics game, that is test ( i can think of total war series) along with chess-like unit vs unit planning needed for victory.  

imagine some first person shooter game that is t20. so different audiences different urges.  both serve a purpose and t20 is a money spinner. 

1 hour ago, jf1gp_1 said:

2,700 deliveries spread over 5 days.  how many do you actually watch ?

Every single one. T20 is clearly designed for women and children. Whereas test cricket is the last bastion of moral strength left in our degenerate society. Comparing T20 to test cricket, is like comparing chimpanzees screeching wildly as they throw crap at a wall, to a symphony written by translating the chess moves in 'Kasparov vs Anand' into music. There is no comparison. To be honest, test cricket would be the foundation of my ideal society, with the most successful test captain becoming the leader of the nation, as the mixture of intelligence and strategic thinking needed to captain a test side would mean they could easily lead any country into prosperity. T20 would be ok for kids, but once they reach their thirteenth birthday they would have to burn the brightly coloured garb associated with the """sport""" and would be told "you're a man now, learn to block".

Edited by sage
1 hour ago, sage said:

Every single one. T20 is clearly designed for women and children. Whereas test cricket is the last bastion of moral strength left in our degenerate society. Comparing T20 to test cricket, is like comparing chimpanzees screeching wildly as they throw crap at a wall, to a symphony written by translating the chess moves in 'Kasparov vs Anand' into music. There is no comparison. To be honest, test cricket would be the foundation of my ideal society, with the most successful test captain becoming the leader of the nation, as the mixture of intelligence and strategic thinking needed to captain a test side would mean they could easily lead any country into prosperity. T20 would be ok for kids, but once they reach their thirteenth birthday they would have to burn the brightly coloured garb associated with the """sport""" and would be told "you're a man now, learn to block".

I love your posts :hysterical:

Lol, Cricket gained mass appeal all  around the world, because of t20 cricket. It was a dying sport, and the invention of t20 made it more popular. Cricket is a sport played by hardly 10 countries, and in which half of those countries cricket isn't even that popular. Except the subcontinent, Cricket is hardly a popular sport. With the invention of t20 cricket, popularity was revived, audiences didn't have to watch for 5 days or one full day, matches were over in 3 and a half hours, similar to other sports. If u want cricket to be more popular around the world, T20 is the way to go, Test cricket is for the elite. It may be the best format, but it sure as hell won't revive the popularity of the sport. 

2 hours ago, sage said:

Right on bro, Move aside modi shodi. Bow down to the next PM of India. 

6Pq7VaT.jpg