KL Rahul should bat at number 4 in the World Cup: Gautam Gambhir

With Ambati Rayudu being left out of the World Cup squad, who will bat at the number four slot is the question in everyone’s mind. MSK Prasad cleared during the squad announcement that Vijay Shankar will be doing that job for the team at least at the start. But not many seem to be agreeing with the chief selector. The cricketer-turned-politician Gautam Gambhir feels that KL Rahul is the best bet for the crucial middle-order spot.

KL Rahul was tried at number four on a few occasions but the management soon looked at him as the back-up opener. He also lost his place in the ODI side only to regain it in style with some amazing form in the IPL last year. Even for the upcoming World Cup, Rahul is the back-up opener but MSK Prasad cleared that it depends on the management how they want to use him during the tournament.

Gautam Gambhir though feels that KL Rahul is the best suited to that position and can also force the pace in the middle overs. He also went on to highlight Rahul’s form in the recently concluded IPL where the KXIP opener slammed 593 runs in 14 innings and ended up as the second highest run-getter.

“It is about the team management to decide but it will be very crucial to see who bats at No.4. For me, K.L. Rahul should ideally bat at that slot. He is best suited among the others – Dinesh Karthik and Vijay Shankar. He has been in good form in the IPL and I am sure, he is going to carry that form into the World Cup,” Gautam Gambhir said while speaking to Sportstar on the sidelines of CEAT awards.

While India’s World Cup 2011 hero will be clearly rooting for the Men in Blue, he felt Australia and England are the other favourites to win the coveted title.

https://www.crictracker.com/kl-rahul-should-bat-at-number-4-in-the-world-cup-gautam-gambhir/

11 hours ago, putrevus said:

I think that would be best combination . Rahul at no 4 and Shankar at no6. 

Not sure if Shankar can go big and hit his game is more suited to 4 but if Rahul ia available at 4 then Shankar should vacate. Hope Jadhav is available at 6.

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

Not sure if Shankar can go big and hit his game is more suited to 4 but if Rahul ia available at 4 then Shankar should vacate. Hope Jadhav is available at 6.

This was a no brainer. Pedigree batsman KL Rahul no matter how much he sucked in recent times. On flat roads he can win match on his own when he clicks. Shankar competes with Jadhav for 6th bowling option. If Jadhav is not available Shankar takes his place to manage the bowling work load in such a long tournament.  Using 5 bowlers for every single match is a recipe for disaster.

11 minutes ago, Khota said:

Jadhav should be replaced with a batsman. Shankar bowling will be a confidence booster for opposition.

Your reasoning is based on? He won a match with his bowling. 

So far his spells are

6-0-23-0 - OKAY

4-0-19-0 OKAY

2-0-17-0 NOT OKAY

4-0-19-0 OKAY

3-0-22-0 NOT OKAY

1.3-0-15-2 OKAY

8-0-44-0 OKAY

5-0-29-0 OKAY

4 hours ago, Vilander said:

Shankar is a batsman.

5 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

Your reasoning is based on? He won a match with his bowling. 

So far his spells are

6-0-23-0 - OKAY

4-0-19-0 OKAY

2-0-17-0 NOT OKAY

4-0-19-0 OKAY

3-0-22-0 NOT OKAY

1.3-0-15-2 OKAY

8-0-44-0 OKAY

5-0-29-0 OKAY

I want him to succeed but I think he is being fast tracked. Hope he proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, Khota said:

I want him to succeed but I think he is being fast tracked. Hope he proves me wrong.

he is 29, that word is used for players who are very very young or just started playing above first class level. He has played n done well on domestic, India-A infact for India as well in limited chances

6 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

he is 29, that word is used for players who are very very young or just started playing above first class level. He has played n done well on domestic, India-A infact for India as well in limited chances

I understand. By fast tracked I meant he is in WC without any track record in ODI.

11 minutes ago, Khota said:

I understand. By fast tracked I meant he is in WC without any track record in ODI.

GUys who have "track record" are crap. Pandey, Raina, Rayudu. He was supposed to be a temporary stop gap arrangement for Pandya. Credit to him, he contributed in few matches. In the two matches he got run out he looked really good. Was all set to get a 50 plus in both matches.