Team management’s faith is all that is important, says an under pressure Vijay Shankar

https://www.crictracker.com/team-managements-faith-is-all-that-is-important-says-an-under-pressure-vijay-shankar/

“I had a decent run when I batted at No.3 in the T20 series in New Zealand. The most important thing is that the team management has shown trust in me and believes I can do the job. That gives you extra motivation. The need of the team is my priority and I am always ready to adapt to situations and conditions.

“I am enjoying myself and don’t put any pressure on myself. I like to read the situation and play accordingly. I give importance to work ethics and there is no shortcut,” he was quoted as saying on IndiaToday.

Learning from senior players

He further went on to say that the senior players in the Indian Team have been backing him and have asked him to just keep things as simple as possible and not stress over anything.

“I have interacted with Kohli, Mahi bhai and Rohit to help me improve as a cricketer. They have told me that I am doing my job and the focus should be on keeping things simple,” the 29-year-old said.

1 hour ago, ShoonyaSifar said:

“I did well in T20s when I batted at 3”

Checked the scores - 27(18) and 43(28). He’s gloating over these performances? I hope he’s set higher standards for himself 

For a 6th bowling option, those are decent numbers. We keep missing the point he is not in as a pure batsman. Even for his state, he is not the best batsman. If they wanted a pure batsman Shankar would not have been the choice.

29 year old? Wasn't he 26 just a year or so ago? Looks like he worries too much and ages rapidly! Back on topic - Shankar can do well if Kohli stops his usual douchebaggery of chop and change which ruins the confidence of.players. Kohli needs to decide on the batting order, figure out which players he wants to back and stick with the same X1 unless someone gets injured..

12 hours ago, vvvslaxman said:

For a 6th bowling option, those are decent numbers. We keep missing the point he is not in as a pure batsman. Even for his state, he is not the best batsman. If they wanted a pure batsman Shankar would not have been the choice.

He is not a good allrounder. He can bowl max 2-3 overs and get carted after that. Dont go by his last over against aus. He lcuked out. He is mainly in as a batsman

17 hours ago, Switchblade said:

Learning from senior players

He further went on to say that the senior players in the Indian Team have been backing him and have asked him to just keep things as simple as possible and not stress over anything.

“I have interacted with Kohli, Mahi bhai and Rohit to help me improve as a cricketer. They have told me that I am doing my job and the focus should be on keeping things simple,” the 29-year-old said.

He is in :winky:

10 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

He is not a good allrounder. He can bowl max 2-3 overs and get carted after that. Dont go by his last over against aus. He lcuked out. He is mainly in as a batsman

Yes he is not a proven all rounder. But his batting gave some confidence. his bowling is a bonus. If India needs a 6th bowler because chahal or pandya getting murdered then Shankar will be useful over any other bowler.

I have been most impressed with his batting. He is someone that can strike at 130 right off the gate, although his ability to play a long innings remians in doubt. TBH, I wouldn't mind him batting wither at #4 or #7 as a finisher. Has the game against both spinners and 140+ kph pacers.

16 hours ago, Dil Dil India said:

1) Rohit

2) Dhawan

3) Kohli

4) Shankar

5) Dhoni

6) Jadhav/DK

7) Pandya

+ bowlers

A joke compared to our 2011 batting but serviceable.

Reason is only because of the form of some. If these guys strike form they are as good as anyone we ever played. Rohit, Dhawan, Kohli, KL Rahul can be genuine match winners. It is just Dhoni that has to up his game.  How to use Dhoni in an optimum way. Obviously pitting him against leggies will be counterproductive. Send him where he is least likely to face spinners. Although raw pace can unsettle him these days, he is still capable murdering 148ks from bowlers like Umesh Yadav. If we can extract the best out of Dhoni (as much as we could) we are going to win most of the matches. His form is the most crucial for India if you ask me.  Pandya is in sublime form. Combination of Pandya/Dhoni can be damaging for the opposition.  Assuming top 4 are in some sort of form, Dhoni/Pandya in form.

We can even play around with the other middle order spot. Shankar/Jadhav/DK. They have to go with one of the three based on who they face

Shankar - Technically good, Rotates strike better than DK and Jadhav. He can constantly feed the strike to better batsman.

Has some degree of power game. Unlike Jaddu who can hit only when it is pitched up he can handle short ball well.

Most importantly decent against spin. Fielding, bowling are a great bonus

DK - This guy has "special skill sets" that will be useful in special situation.  Especially while chasing he can very good in taking on any bowler right at the death from the word go. He doesn't rely on waiting for unadkat type of bowlers to bowl. He backs himself to smash any bowler. But inconsistent. Can be a great asset if we are going to chase. Can't bowl. Field spectacularly or miss dollies. You never know what you will get. Good energetic guy to have on the field.

Jadhav - Maverick player. There are times where he never puts his foot wrong. He takes calculated risks and everything comes off. Then there are other days he will lose his wicket as soon as he comes to the crease.  He can play big shots against spinners. Against pace he is so so. Don't run well between the wickets. Bowling can be handy against SENA countries. Terrible fielder

https://www.hindustantimes.com/cricket/icc-world-cup-2019-how-i-prepare-myself-will-be-the-real-challenge-for-me-says-vijay-shankar/story-o1AenwB9fcJvPTFBiqKQKI.html

‘How I prepare myself will be the real challenge for me,’ says Vijay Shankar

“There’s a difference between batting at number four position and batting in the lower order. How I prepare myself will the real challenge for me. I need to be in good shape, the most important thing will be how I play according to the situation. I should be equipped to play in any condition,” Shankar told ANI.

“Number four slot, there have many been speculations about that slot. It is really important for me to keep things simple. Other things are not in my control, I should try to control what I can control,” he added.

“Everyone’s dream is to first play for the country. Whenever you step in, you are wearing the Indian jersey and it is very special. The World Cup experience is all the more special as it happens once in four years and being named in the fifteen-member Indian squad, I am very happy about it,” Shankar said.

“It is a very good journey, to be honest. The most important thing is that I had many injuries in the past and I missed a lot of cricket. But these injuries taught me a lot of things, how I should focus when I was in the rehab and lot of many other things,” Shankar said.

The 28-year-old Shankar played for the Sunrisers Hyderabad in the recently concluded Indian Premier League (IPL). The player said he plays every match with the same intensity and looks to take something out from the match.

“So wherever I play, I try to play with the same intensity. Every game I play, I try to make sure I get something out of that match. So as a cricketer I feel, you have to move forward and keep believing in your ability,” Shankar said.

Shankar believes that it is his duty to learn from the senior players in the team as they have more experience of playing in every type of situations.

“Someone like him has done a lot for the country, He has won many matches for the team. It is important for me to learn many things from him. Everyone in our team has achieved a lot of things and I should learn from everyone. Mahi bhai, has played in every type of situations, so it’s my duty to learn from him,” Shankar said.

Indian fifteen-member squad for World Cup: Virat Kohli (c), Rohit Sharma (vc), Shikhar Dhawan, KL Rahul, Vijay Shankar, MS Dhoni (wk), Kedar Jadhav, Dinesh Karthik, Yuzvendra Chahal, Kuldeep Yadav, Bhuvneshwar Kumar, Bumrah , Hardik Pandya, Ravindra Jadeja, Mohammad Shami.

India takes on New Zealand (May 25) and Bangladesh (May 28) in the warm-up matches before the World Cup.

The 50-over tournament will take place in England and Wales from May 30 to July 14. India will open their World Cup campaign against South Africa on June 5.