Let’s stop complaining about these pitches, bowlers will eventually evolve.

I personally prefer the old school  225-250 type odi pitches with swing early on, getting slow later on, true bounce for batsmen etc., however with the new power play rules, 9 out of 10 times a team chasing such targets will have the advantage .

In the context of these new rules, I am kind of liking these English pitches. Let’s not feel too sorry for the bowlers, they will eventually evolve.

Leg spinners were out of the game for long but now the are hot property, Finger spinner rules the roost for a while, right now they are struggling but they will figure it out. Team have figured out how to get reverse without blatant tampering etc.

Slow bouncer, knuckle ball have come in to the game, batsmen have figured out a way to smash Yorkers with helicopter shots, scoop shots have come into play.

The game will continue to evolve and so will the bowlers. Right now these pitches are good for the game and eventually bowlers will figure out a way to even things out just like powerplay bowling has evolved from the time of Jayasuriya and co.

I am personally enjoying these pitches than lottery green pitches and dust bowls.

Test pitches all over the world have become bowling friendly which is good for test cricket and these flat pitches are good for LOIs.

3 minutes ago, maniac said:

I personally prefer the old school  225-250 type odi pitches with swing early on, getting slow later on, true bounce for batsmen etc., however with the new power play rules, 9 out of 10 times a team chasing such targets will have the advantage .

In the context of these new rules, I am kind of liking these English pitches. Let’s not feel too sorry for the bowlers, they will eventually evolve.

Leg spinners were out of the game for long but now the are hot property, Finger spinner rules the roost for a while, right now they are struggling but they will figure it out. Team have figured out how to get reverse without blatant tampering etc.

Slow bouncer, knuckle ball have come in to the game, batsmen have figured out a way to smash Yorkers with helicopter shots, scoop shots have come into play.

The game will continue to evolve and so will the bowlers. Right now these pitches are good for the game and eventually bowlers will figure out a way to even things out just like powerplay bowling has evolved from the time of Jayasuriya and co.

I am personally enjoying these pitches than lottery green pitches and dust bowls.

Test pitches all over the world have become bowling friendly which is good for test cricket and these flat pitches are good for LOIs.

Nonsense, they are making these pitches in England to suit their team. These pitches are killing all the interest in the sport.Bowlers have become redudant.It is not that hard to leave some grass or make pitches with something in for bowlers in England.We are seeing totally opposite in test matches there .

11 minutes ago, maniac said:

Why does it have to be this extreme or the other? Why not similar pitches that were laid out in 2011 WC, IMO the last major ODI tournament which nailed bat/ball balance perfectly. Even the recent Asia Cup pitches made for pleasant viewing, surprisingly those decks gave the quicks enough ammunition to keep batsmen honest.

I don't enjoy these 450 meets 420 pitches, why even pretend to have bowlers then? Not that I care much, I hope this format goes to the dogs and we are left with only tests and T20s...and it will when fans get bored. Not just pitches even the boundaries are getting shorter, that goes against basic common sense, ODI cricket should take a leaf out of golf when it comes to boundary dimensions. 

Edited by Gollum
23 minutes ago, maniac said:

maniac you are boxing yourself into one mould. Rohit fan.  This is the reason you need so many id's. No post you make can be read without that maniac fanboyism of Rohit flavour, I like Rohit too but he has flaws, guy cant play swing or any lateral movement to save his life.

No thanks. 

I've always believed that sporting wickets are the best choice for both odis and t20s. And challenging (for batting) wickets for test matches. There should never ever be flatbeds in international cricket. Or else we won't see fast bowlers in the future. All we'd have are darters and wristies. I mean who'd want to waste his energy by running all the way from boundary only to be get smacked with a flat bat over his head. :sleep:

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

maniac you are boxing yourself into one mould. Rohit fan.  This is the reason you need so many id's. No post you make can be read without that maniac fanboyism of Rohit flavour, I like Rohit too but he has flaws, guy cant play swing or any lateral movement to save his life.

Ok here we go with this crap again. 

7 minutes ago, chewy said:

They are horrible, I watched few balls of today Eng Pak game, and  saw Zaman slogging Archer's good length 90mph for six :nervous:

These pitches would be ok if Duke balls are allowed

horrible pitches that negate quality gamesmanship over brute power. Same **** happened with astroturfs in field hockey.  England would love for any form of finesse to be removed from the game to make it the most fit most arm power athletes win throwoff/hitout game etc. 

17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Why does it have to be this extreme or the other? Why not similar pitches that were laid out in 2011 WC, IMO the last major ODI tournament which nailed bat/ball balance perfectly. Even the recent Asia Cup pitches made for pleasant viewing, surprisingly those decks gave the quicks enough ammunition to keep batsmen honest.

I don't enjoy these 450 meets 420 pitches, why even pretend to have bowlers then? Not that I care much, I hope this format goes to the dogs and we are left with only tests and T20s...and it will when fans get bored. Not just pitches even the boundaries are getting shorter, that goes against basic common sense, ODI cricket should take a leaf out of golf when it comes to boundary dimensions. 

dude even the great nidhas had better pitches than the **** in england in recent time hope pitches play better in WC.

@Vilander I didn’t mean that as disrespect to you but usually that is a crutch for some of the guys who bring no value, not expected. As I said people on this forum by now can differentiate when something is an actual serious cricketing debate it when it is light banter. Goes for any poster.

Maybe I should pull off a Robin Williams- clean shaven for comedy roles and beard for serious roles :) tough to do that on an online forum

1 minute ago, maniac said:

@Vilander I didn’t mean that as disrespect to you but usually that is a crutch for some of the guys who bring no value, not expected. As I said people on this forum by now can differentiate when something is an actual serious cricketing debate it when it is light banter. Goes for any poster.

Maybe I should pull off a Robin Williams- clean shaven for comedy roles and beard for serious roles :) tough to do that on an online forum

totally understand that man, i will treat this a serious thread. mark your serious threads with something like a S bold lol.

Watching a batsman counter a tough pitch and good bowling, isn’t that the same as a bowler upping his game and countering flat tracks and small boundaries.

I love watching a good spell of Bowling too but remember a batsman needs just one mistake to get out on the other hand the bowler can go 6,6,6,6 and pick up 2 wickets and redeem himself  

22 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Eng want their hacks hoicks and slogs to sail far from the boundary againt the hit the deck barrage that will come to them from SA/AUS/IND. but what they do not realise it, if they pull them in too small there are others who might benefit more ( read WI). stranger things have happened, Eng will have an other heartbreak at the hands of WI. 

2 minutes ago, maniac said:

Watching a batsman counter a tough pitch and good bowling, isn’t that the same as a bowler upping his game and countering flat tracks and small boundaries.

balance is hte key. watching a batsman struggle in a minefiled or a raging turner or unplayable green top is compelling viewing but watching them compile a good inning in a balanced wicket is even more so. Flip side bowler padding stats in the above said conditions is poor viewing as bats are struggling any way it becomes worthless. 

17 minutes ago, chewy said:

They are horrible, I watched few balls of today Eng Pak game, and  saw Zaman slogging Archer's good length 90mph for six :nervous:

These pitches would be ok if Duke balls are allowed

How is it different from a slow pitch where the team batting first has the advantage and green track where the team batting 2nd has the advantage. The new PP rules makes it easy for a team batting 2nd anyways. Now with that in mind, teams don’t know what is a safe target anymore. That makes it exciting from ball 1.

Now ball is in the bowlers court to evolve and innovate. It has happened throughout cricket history. We need to change with times and evolve, not clamor for the past.

5 minutes ago, maniac said:

I love watching a good spell of Bowling too but remember a batsman needs just one mistake to get out on the other hand the bowler can go 6,6,6,6 and pick up 2 wickets and redeem himself  

remember that SA game two seasons back, only Kallis and Tendulkar could make centuries everyone else and their grandmom struggled in that pitch, just these two did not and it was clear the pitch demanded something that every batsman except these two lacked. that's compelling viewing. 

1 minute ago, Vilander said:

balance is hte key. watching a batsman struggle in a minefiled or a raging turner or unplayable green top is compelling viewing but watching them compile a good inning in a balanced wicket is even more so. Flip side bowler padding stats in the above said conditions is poor viewing as bats are struggling any way it becomes worthless. 

Fair enough but any commercial product is marketed to the masses not to the purists. People like 4s and 6s. Period. This brings in eyeballs. Once they get used to it and become purists bowlers will have to evolve. That’s a cycle that applies to anything.