Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Gollum

Predict your upsets in the WC featuring BD, SL, AFG

Recommended Posts

Almost everyone agrees that these 3 teams have close to zero chance of qualifying for SF. NZ, RSA, WI, Pak should fight for the 4th spot while big 3 are expected to qualify smoothly. 

 

But the bottom 3 can still upset calculations of the other 7 teams and play a big role in deciding the SF line up.

 

Mine:

Toygers will beat RSA, Pak.....and then hopefully get ragdolled by Afghans :phehe:

Lanka will beat RSA, NZ

Afghans will stun WI

 

Do not see any of these 3 teams beating Eng, Aus, Ind. But do remember BD knocked out Eng in 2015 WC, ran us close in QF while Lankans upset us in CT 2017, our tied match against Afghans in Asia Cup was a cracker as well. They have the tools to bring down any of the 3 Goliaths if they randomly peak and catch the other team off guard, but will they? I will be upset if they fail to shake up things, what better than watching upsets in the biggest stage of white ball cricket :dontknow:

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
2 minutes ago, MultiB48 said:

All teams other than eng  look vulnerable ,will be an interesting wc to follow.

England is the most vulnerable team amongst Aus, SA, India and NZ.  

England team looks scary on paper but their pop gun attack is scary too. Even Pak can score 350 against them. Enough proof.

Also they play fearlessly even if wickets fall complete contrary to India's strategy. Both strategies are wrong since in a big game with huge pressure both can end up in disaster.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Afg vs sl 

Afg vs Pak

Afg vs toygirls

Afg vs WI

 

Afg  vs SL or Afg vs BD can't be called upsets, more or less the same level. Upset would be if these 3 can beat the other 7, will be massive upset if they can beat Eng/Aus/Ind.

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Gollum said:

Afg  vs SL or Afg vs BD can't be called upsets, more or less the same level. Upset would be if these 3 can beat the other 7, will be massive upset if they can beat Eng/Aus/Ind.

Afg cannot beat Eng/Aus/India. Afg has zero quality pace bowlers. They rely on spinners who are damn good btw. So if they have any little chance then it might be against England.

Share this post


Link to post

Mods, admins...dunno why 2 threads were created, hasn't happened before for me. Could you delete this thread or merge with the other one? Thanks.

 

 

Edited by Gollum
done, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, Pollack said:

Afg cannot beat Eng/Aus/India. Afg has zero quality pace bowlers. They rely on spinners who are damn good btw. So if they have any little chance then it might be against England.

Yes I agree Eng with their new approach are vulnerable, they are more likely to have off days like in the recent ODI in WI where they were bowled out for 110. India is the other extreme, Aus seems to have found the right balance.

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, DHONI_FANN said:

Pakistan beating Toygers will be a huge upset. Sri Lanka vs Toygers will be fun match. Nagin dance galore :cheer:

My wish list (in order of preference):

 

1. India winning 3rd WC

2. WI winning 3rd WC

3. Toygers, Afghans beating Pak

4. Afghans beating Toygers

 

1/2 will give me immense pleasure, last 2 so that I can up my trolling game. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Gollum said:

My wish list (in order of preference):

 

1. India winning 3rd WC

2. WI winning 3rd WC

3. Toygers, Afghans beating Pak

4. Afghans beating Toygers

 

1/2 will give me immense pleasure, last 2 so that I can up my trolling game. 

You should pay a visit to Toyger forum. High on confidence after beating depleted West Indies, many Toyger fans consider it will be huge upset if Toygers don't qualify for the semis. 

Share this post


Link to post
39 minutes ago, Pollack said:

England is the most vulnerable team amongst Aus, SA, India and NZ.  

England team looks scary on paper but their pop gun attack is scary too. Even Pak can score 350 against them. Enough proof.

Also they play fearlessly even if wickets fall complete contrary to India's strategy. Both strategies are wrong since in a big game with huge pressure both can end up in disaster.

 

Bowling wise sa has rabada,steyn,ngidi and tahir ,it's probably the best attack in the tournament and 1st match is sa v eng.As long as they produce these type of pitches ,i don't eng facing many problems getting into the s/f.Big match temperament is their only issue.

Share this post


Link to post

i havent really kept upto date with lankan team. they are known to surprise everyone and punch above their weight even with crappy no name player team. Don't be suprised to see them running for that 4th spot. Don't really have much confidence in BD/AFG making it to semis. Heck even add WI to that list aswell. BD might play some good knock, might also be the reason for some teams not making it to the semis for loosing against them but can't see them cause more damage than that.

Share this post


Link to post

Sri Lanka and Afghanistan will compete for the wooden spoon.  They won't have too much competition from the rest.  

 

BD is being under-rated by folks here.  After India, they are the 2nd best ODI batting unit in Asia.   Well ahead of SL/Afg, and ahead of Pak.  Their problem is the bowling is weak.  BD, Pak, WI will make that next tier from the bottom. 

 

SA may join them there if they start poorly.  SA is the one team that can really float anywhere from #4 to #8.  Hard to get a read on them right now.

 

My gut tells me  that India will start the tournament quite poorly.  How I dearly hope I'm wrong.  But things seem to be really lining up that way.  

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, DHONI_FANN said:

You should pay a visit to Toyger forum. High on confidence after beating depleted West Indies, many Toyger fans consider it will be huge upset if Toygers don't qualify for the semis. 

Fans of all teams are excited about their respective team (including Ind) much like a mother would consider her child the most beautiful! 

Share this post


Link to post

Bangladesh will beat pakistan    :yay:

 

 

Afghanistan will beat pakistan   :yay:

 

 

Sri Lanka will beat pakistan.    :yay:

 

 

Papua New Guinea will beat pakistan.  :yay:

Wait ....they didn't qualify. :((

 

 

No worries, they'll beat them in 2023 WC :yay:

 

 

Edited by Norman

Share this post


Link to post

Below is not a prediction but something to be mindful of (from my post in "Will Ind make it to the last 4" thread):

 

Quote

 

If Ind makes it, great. If not, I want it out by the game vs. Eng. BD bros raise their game vs Ind in such events. Knocked us out in 2007, we were saved by Sehwag’s 175 in 2011, ran us close in T20 WC (that memorable Pandya over), and competed well in Asia Cup as well. In the last phase, BD, as mentioned, could be in a nothing to lose situation so could play fearless cricket. Don’t want BD fans to be celebrating for 4 years for knocking Ind out (and as salvation for its team not making it)!

 

PS If we survive the BD game, we would have SL to handle, who could be in similar situation as BD and thus play noting to lose cricket  as well

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, vvvslaxman said:

Hope they have Athar Ali Khan in the commentary box lol

 

"As far as i am concerned that was the over of the tournament" - prior to 19th over of Rubel Hossein :hysterical:

What was the other commentator's name from BD? That guy is more astrocious to listen too with his fake English accent lul

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Gollum said:

Yes I agree Eng with their new approach are vulnerable, they are more likely to have off days like in the recent ODI in WI where they were bowled out for 110. India is the other extreme, Aus seems to have found the right balance.

How long does it need to be before it's an old approach? 

For me 4 years of playing this way is a long time. 

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

SL defeated ENG............one of the biggest upsets 

Not an upset. They got beaten by Pakistan too. England seems to have fooled all that they are great team. They are a good team but not great. 

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, gattaca said:

Not an upset. They got beaten by Pakistan too. England seems to have fooled all that they are great team. They are a good team but not great. 

Pak on their day can beat anyone......SL is much poorer side then pakistan . Pak gave a huge total chasing which most teams will crumble and we did to during CT 2017. SL defended a total under 250 

Share this post


Link to post
37 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Pak on their day can beat anyone......SL is much poorer side then pakistan . Pak gave a huge total chasing which most teams will crumble and we did to during CT 2017. SL defended a total under 250 

Especially considering SL have a very middling bowling attack,it's an astonishing achievement

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, gattaca said:

Not an upset. They got beaten by Pakistan too. England seems to have fooled all that they are great team. They are a good team but not great. 

I think if England now manage to lose to Australia and India too (which is very much possible), they might get knocked out of the playoffs. :hysterical:

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  
×
×
  • Create New...