Nasser Hussain picks six players to watch out for in this World Cup

Hussain is expecting the Indian skipper Virat Kohli, New Zealand captain Kane Williamson, West Indies veteran Chris Gayle and star all-rounder Andre Russell to make this World Cup a memorable one for them. He also feels Afghanistan leggie Rashid Khan and India's most reliable pacer Jasprit Bumrah are going to shine with the ball.

The former England captain, in a chat with Sky Sports, said, "I think Gayle will want to do something very special. Russell has been out of the West Indies set up but is a fantastic player. Rashid Khan from Afghanistan is one of the best white-ball bowlers in the world."

"Another top bowler is Bumrah – he absolutely nails his yorkers and death bowling will be key throughout the tournament. Kane Williamson, that quiet, smiling assassin from New Zealand… he always scores runs. And the greatest player in the world is in town in Virat Kohli," Hussain said further.

We know the favorites, but Hussain mentioned about the teams who can pull off an upset and ruin things for other teams. "Anyone on their day can beat you," he added. "Don’t write off Afghanistan and West Indies.

"England will go into the tournament knowing they have to be good throughout. Make sure you get the points in the bag.

"They will get through to the knockout stages I think. But then it’s a one-off game and anyone can beat anyone. England’s recent record is phenomenal though and they will be confident." 

Link - https://circleofcricket.com/category/Cricket_World_Cup_2019/37321/cwc-2019-nasser-hussain-picks-six-players-to-watch-out-for-in-this-world-cup-no-ms-dhoni-in-the-list?fbclid=IwAR383CkT-4bzLx1CcixAINeNbU3_M3X4li-GElMu4jB09zXTnASwjl92TmE

Forgetting Buttler..the guy can smoke sixes and fours at will and most recently played sensibly, knocked the ball around, build a partnership when many wickets were lost upfront,and then launched an assault and scored at over 190 sr !

He also bats well with the tail. I am now worried about him than anyone else.

I think Virat's going to have a quiet WC, especially by his standards.  He's had a ridiculously high-scoring run, for a really long period of time.  Nothing lasts forever.  I mean, I hope I'm wrong, but this is what my gut tells me.   One of my buddies refuses to talk WC cricket with me, letting out a string of cuss words, simply because I called the Bangladesh game a banana-skin game, before the 2007 WC.  "Gut feelings" have something behind them.  

I think Jimmy Neesham is going to surprise people this WC if he stays fit.  He can have an impact like Hardik Pandya did, this IPL.  And if the rest of the NZ core delivers, NZ will be on their way to the semi-finals.  

I think everybody is getting seduced into over-rating Afghanistan.  Their batting has a lot to prove.  And outside of Rashid and Nabi, their bowling does too.  I expect Sri Lanka and Afghanistan to finish at the bottom - pretty confident on this. 

1 hour ago, YCCC said:

Amazing insight. Two of the top three batsmen in the world and one of the most destructive, and the best ODI bowler will have a great tournament. Thanks Nass.

Sucking Kohli's cock again as well

I think Nasser has a lot of time for Kohli, because he admires his work ethic.  Virat isn't a batting genius simply born with freakish skill - he's worked his ass off to become what he has.  Something Nasser can relate to - he's a guy who made a pound out of his few pence worth of ability.  

1 hour ago, sandeep said:

I think Nasser has a lot of time for Kohli, because he admires his work ethic.  Virat isn't a batting genius simply born with freakish skill - he's worked his ass off to become what he has.  Something Nasser can relate to - he's a guy who made a pound out of his few pence worth of ability.  

You have to be serious, comparing Kohli to Nasser, he is the best ever ODI player in the world, doesn't have the flair. The way he picks the length and use his wrist to play shots in a wide arc to same sorta deliveries, has no big weakness. I haven't seen him beaten by pace even when he stands outrageously outside the crease.

He already is far better then Tendulkar in ODI and equals him or bettered him recently in tests, the way he is freakish is he is mentally stronger then anyone else before, more committed , similar talent to Sachin but has maximized it

37 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

He already is far better then Tendulkar in

You are entitled to your opinion.  I'll leave it at that.

Btw, I didn't "compare Kohli to Nasser".  There really isn't any constructive outcome from spitting our opinions at each other, especially when you are hellbent on missing my point.  And hold some really silly views on 'talent' and batting skills.  

49 minutes ago, MCcricket said:

He already is far better then Tendulkar in ODI and equals him or bettered him recently in tests

:hysterical:

19 year old Sachin did more in his debut WC than what Kohli did in 2011/15 combined. Sachin is the all time top scorer in WC history, twice topping the charts and once runner up. Kohli has the distinction of playing the worst ever ODI innings of all time in 2015 SF. Don't care about JAMODIs and Hajmola Cups. And then the CT 2017 F :hysterical:

In tests Sachin averaged 58-59 by the end of 90s, with more sample size than what Kohli has now. Has Kohli's average ever touched 55? First let him learn to play Zampa and Moeen before comparing him to someone who handled Warne/Murali. 

Edited by Gollum
4 hours ago, Gollum said:

:hysterical:

19 year old Sachin did more in his debut WC than what Kohli did in 2011/15 combined. Sachin is the all time top scorer in WC history, twice topping the charts and once runner up. Kohli has the distinction of playing the worst ever ODI innings of all time in 2015 SF. Don't care about JAMODIs and Hajmola Cups. And then the CT 2017 F :hysterical:

In tests Sachin averaged 58-59 by the end of 90s, with more sample size than what Kohli has now. Has Kohli's average ever touched 55? First let him learn to play Zampa and Moeen before comparing him to someone who handled Warne/Murali. 

Not to mention, Sachin dropped tons or 90+ scores in every cricket country he toured.  The first time.  As a teenager.  Virat got his ass dropped from the test team the first time, because he wasn't good enough to hack it.  

Johnny-come-lately fans only have the post 2002 Sachin - who was a shadow of himself in his prime - in their mind, when they think of him.  The problem is that most batsmen rapidly fade away from int'l cricket when they aren't at their best - even the great ones - Dravid, Ponting, Richards, Lara, all of them.  But Sachin was able to have a top-notch int'l career for 10 years past his prime.  That doesn't take away the fact that in the 1990s, he was so good, so consistently.  I mean, his entire 1990s were what Virat's last 2 years look like.   And not to forget, he hit that stride very early in his career - didn't need to be dropped from the test team, didn't need to have a horror show tour of England - any of that. He took to int'l cricket, and right away demonstrated his greatness, like it was nothing.   Of course, he was nowhere near as good or consistent past 2003 - that elbow injury and recovery never left him the same.  

Problem is, that there are many 'smart' guys out there, who have decided that Sachin 'underachieved'.  Or didn't "win" enough games. ******* ki fauj mein kami kabhi nahi hoti.

4 hours ago, Gollum said:

Kuch bhi bolo, MOS prize yahi superstar le jayega...the most exciting cricketer today.

Image result for pat cummins

He's a better test cricketer so far, than in white ball cricket.  As of now.   Potential is there of him being the next Bumrah - i.e. a dominant lead dog bowler.   I love the guy, but would rather he do that after India win the WC.