Foreign players in England squad

3 minutes ago, CommonMan said:

Jofra Archer - West Indies

Ben Stokes - Newzealand

Eoin Morgan - Ireland

Tom Curran - SouthAfrica

Jason Roy - SouthAfrica

with so many foreign players in the squad, should this team be called England cricket team ? :thinking:

fcuk kolpak!

Tom Curran is from Zimbabwe  ?

Andrew Strauss

Mathew Prior

Kevin Pietersen

Jonathan Trott

Gary Ballance

Keaton Jennings

Michael Lumb

Craig Kieswetter

Dawid Malan

Boyd Rankin 

Sam Robson

Chris Jordan 

Sam Curran

Just a few who are not English, but played for England. 

38 minutes ago, Stumped said:

I'm looking for his viewpoint on it given his odd list. Not sure where you'd get that assumption, I'm not the one labelling lifelong British citizens as 'not English'.

Is the captain of the English ODI team English?  

1 minute ago, Stumped said:

Are you after my personal view? Yes, anyone who plays for England is English even if born abroad. They've lived here for years, become local citizens, been part of our sporting system and most importantly decided they want to represent England.

In Morgan's particular case he's a British citizen who's spent a significant (maybe even majority) portion of his life in England. He's been playing cricket here since he was a young teen and has held a life long ambition of representing the country. What other people want to make of that is up to them.

Fully agree

5 hours ago, YCCC said:

He also leads the national team with dignity and pride. One of the nicest most genuine guys in international cricket 

Don't get me wrong - I love Morgan, and think he's one of the main reasons England's white ball team are as good as they are.  And I honestly don't care that much about England's 'foreign legion'.  Me and Stumped go way back with our 'banter', and this was simply too easy a layup to pass up.  

I don't mind, allows opportunities for good players still be involved in the biggest international event which they would have been denied playing for their ex-countries...mainly players from SA and WI.

For example I just couldn't see SA picking Jason Roy in their XI with him being white and his playing style. 

Edited by chewy