Why did you vote for the party ?

beetle

The issues that helped me make a decision were....

1) Toilets.

It is shocking that something like this had to be done ...better late than never.

It changes life ...specially for the women and children . Gives them dignity and safety .I have seen it first hand in the villages in my state. This changes not just the life of people but also a very crappy part of our culture as a nation.

2) blocking leakage of subsidy by linking to aadhaar and bank account.

This is a huge step to limit corruption. 

This could have been done earlier if preventing corruption was desired by the previous govts.

3) Rs.5 lakh medical insurance for poor .

This is a major step. 5 lakhs is a huge amount for the poor.

4) No financial scams in the 5 years. A huge positive.

5) Giving free hand to the forces to counter terrorism. We are no longer a weak spineless nation that is an open target for terrorists. I feel the nation has got a spine back.

6) black money...demonetization may not have worked as intended,but the intent behind it was good. It was a very brave step and I think the govt deserves some marks for showing courage and spine for taking tough decisions .

7) The prospect of having a half clown,a castiest , corrupt or anti national person coming to power made Modi seem like the only option left.

These were some points that made me vote for Modi.

Overall I felt this govt has shown enough promise to get another term .

Agree with @beetleji's points. Don't want to cover all their schemes cos this isn't a UPSC paper. State subjects not a consideration in national elections but 1-2 may overlap. 

What sealed the deal (not in order of importance):

• National security (terrorism, cross border pre-emptive measures, attacking problems at source eg blowing up that Pak boat in the open ocean, extraditions, full freedom to security personnel against insurgent groups, no compromise etc)
  • Reining in shady NGOs
  • NRC (state matter but Union gave full backing and security/safeguards to the people involved)
  • Bengal/NE border fencing...if you don't live in these states you have no idea how important and long due this is
  • Thrust on cleanliness, hygiene, sanitation esp the mentality part....PM speaking about using toilets from Red Fort with whole world media covering.
  • Anti-corruption measures, govt more or less scam free
  • Course correcting Indian state's historical anti-Hindu stance, soft cultural power like Yoga, Buddhist heritage circuit, Ayodhya/South Korea, renovating and bettering infra in heritage sites
  • Women empowerment (LPG/toilets/TTalaq etc, which developed nation has a woman defence minister and 2 women in a group equivalent to Cabinet Committee on Security, induction and encouragement of women in path breaking endeavours like Navika Sagar Parikrama and induction of women in military police for the first time ever)
  • Pro-armed forces, pro-IB/RAW/NIA/ED like agencies and full freedom to operate, never once have they tried to bring down their morale nor any vote catching stunt like Batla House
  • Zero tolerance for tukde tukde gangs and anarchists, all other parties have mingled with these SOBs
  • No appeasement
  • Economic reforms, inflation control (when was the last time there was silence about price rise in an election campaign?), move towards less cash economy, widening of tax net, closing shell companies etc 
  • Make in India esp defence, renewable energy, electronics, foreign companies shifting manufacturing units from China to India
  • Fearless foreign policy (Israel, China, neighbors...even interfering in SL/BD elections to checkmate China, wins and/or progress in UN, NSG, Interpol, FATF)
  • Less PCness
  • Ruthlessness towards Kashmiri separatists
  • Improvement in Indian Railways, rather than announcing 100 new trains every year they have focused on fulfilling previous unkept promises, unmanned crossings eliminated in just 4 years
  • Transport/transit infra (highways, bullet train, waterways, Sagarmala, increase in air travel via incentives like UDAN which gave a boost to airports in tier-II cities) construction 
  • Less dynasty politics, 
  • TINA 

Also even if not implemented their thought process is correct in urgent matters of great importance like 370, 35A, NPA resolution, judicial reforms, river inter-linking, anti-conversion, using our full quota of Indus Water Treaty etc. Hell their demo idea wasn't bad, I appreciate their guts in taking such a radical decision, intention was always good. 

TINA is good enough but then you add the other factors. BJP can do far better in all these areas and I will judge them ruthlessly in the coming 5 years. Fully supported them for the election, now I will criticize their faults cos India first, then any damn party. 

Edited by Gollum

I would say why you went to vote is the bigger question. Why wasnt it 2004 again? Those positive reasons were there also in 2004 yet BJP lost.

Most people favoring BJP would have stayed home, but the fear of MGB was too much , that they really went to vote out for their party and leader. That’s the key for me...

12 minutes ago, someone said:

I would say why you went to vote is the bigger question. Why wasnt it 2004 again? Those positive reasons were there also in 2004 yet BJP lost.

Most people favoring BJP would have stayed home, but the fear of MGB was too much , that they really went to vote out for their party and leader. That’s the key for me...

I feel BJP was overconfident in 2004. Which showed the result. Even this BJP was overconfident till Dec 18. Then after the Assembly elections of MP, RJ,CH, etc they did course correction just in the nick of time. It paid off. 

Edited by I6MTW

13 minutes ago, someone said:

If the BJP In 2004 had an Amit Shah in this kind of a role they would have had have won easily.

It was their failure.

There is a reason why Modi was winning unopposed in Gujarat despite the kind of  demonization he went through around that time.

1 hour ago, Laaloo said:

@Gollum

Can you make a thread on the fencing at the NE border? I'd like to know more about it.

Don't think we need a separate thread about it. I can give a summary here. 

Basically as we all know the NE border with Bangladesh has always been very porous resulting in unchecked illegal immigration, and then there is the problem of terrorism and smuggling. In places like Assam's Dhubri (and nearby areas) the growth of Bangladeshi Muslim population has been something like 600% in the last 30 years. Smuggling is well documented and most NE terrorists are based in Bangladesh/Myanmar, they cross over to India, carry out strikes and retreat to their safe houses.

Lack of political will is one reason, but there are other natural factors at play. Our border runs along forests, paddy fields, hills, riverine stretches. A huge part of that border is riverine and marshy land, to make matters worse that region is prone to annual flooding (heavy rains in NE coinciding with summer glacial melting at source which massively increases water outflow...remember these are perennial rivers originating in Himalayas unlike the ones in South or Gujarat/Raj) changing the course of the rivers often. Hence building a permanent fence structure has always been a challenge. BSF and locals till now relied on boats to patrol the region but that was hardly an adequate measure. 

Modi govt has introduced a 'smart fence' project there to plug the vulnerable gaps. Don't know the technical details but there is a combination of early warning system, radars, lasers, IR cameras, optical fibre cables and sensors...the equipment has been sourced from abroad (I think Israel). All the devices are linked and connected to the integrated border management system, a common platform from where engineers can monitor the entire stretch and give out alarm signals if they notice something amiss. Based on the alarm the nearest BSF station will jump into action and take necessary steps, all the while guided by the central system to reach exact co-ordinates (specially designed speedboats and water scooters to replace the old slow patrol boats:wp2:). The setup is costly and will take a few more years to complete, hopefully in this NDA term. Even some difficult to guard stretches on land will be equipped with the system, that part of the work hasn't started yet. A combination of this and electrified metal fence with floodlights on solid ground (which won't experience flooding) is the approach of GOI. More % cut from defence budget is going into building the infrastructure and also the border will be more heavily manned, and more border outposts to make it almost impenetrable.  

Edited by Gollum