Jump to content
I6MTW

2019 French Open

Recommended Posts

Starts Sunday. 

 

Nadal is favourite as always. Any doubts regarding his clay chances this season were erased the moment I saw his draw. Seriously how may easy draws can a playwr get? When was the last time Nadal had a difficult draw? All qualifiers in his quarter, the toughest players are Goffin and Nishikori, that's saying alot. They should just hand the title to Nadal. All the other contenders will tire themselves out in Novak's half and face a fresh and confident Rafa in the final.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pratik77 said:

He most of the times gets those cupcakes Draws...some of his us open titles included..

This is so reminiscent of the 2017 US open draw. At least in Hard courts u might find players on their day who can play Nadal close, take a set, maybe upset him. But since this is clay, this is even worse. Hs might still win even if all the contenders are on his side but at least it will be competitive. Here it will just be Nadal not dropping a set at all, serving bakery products along the way till the final. Only formidable opponent is Schwartzman who has no weapons to trouble Nadal, might take a set at best. Federer is way past it on clay, Tsitsipas will not even take a set at Phillipe Chatrier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/24/2019 at 10:11 PM, I6MTW said:

This is so reminiscent of the 2017 US open draw. At least in Hard courts u might find players on their day who can play Nadal close, take a set, maybe upset him. But since this is clay, this is even worse. Hs might still win even if all the contenders are on his side but at least it will be competitive. Here it will just be Nadal not dropping a set at all, serving bakery products along the way till the final. Only formidable opponent is Schwartzman who has no weapons to trouble Nadal, might take a set at best. Federer is way past it on clay, Tsitsipas will not even take a set at Phillipe Chatrier.

Nadal's opponents in the first 4 rounds:
1) Hanfmann
2) Maden
3) Goffin
4) Londero/Moutet:drool:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Pratik77 said:

Nadal's opponents in the first 4 rounds:
1) Hanfmann
2) Maden
3) Goffin
4) Londero/Moutet:drool:

Only person who can take a set of push to 5 games is Goffin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hope Fed loses to Stan, don't want another loss against Nadal in RG. Rooting for Thiem all the way, Barty in the women's section. Not many may know that Barty played in WBBL 4-5 years back. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Gollum

 

Neither would've had a chance against Nadal. Stan would've done worse probably. Only person who would've had a slight chance was Tsitsipas. But, now that Federer is into the SF, he realizes he is the underdog, he already has exceeded everyone's expectations. I mean reaching a RG SF at the age of 38, after being away from clay for 3-4 years, almost without dropping a set is a GOAT-worthy achievement. So, he knows he has a very negligible chance against Nadal, so he will play and swing freely, with his serve and net/volley game, he can stay competitive for a set and maybe take one.  Though, Nadal in 3 is most likely. Federer is  better than all of the  opponents Nadal's faced so far, still he would have to turn back the years, and play like his prime 27-28 year old self to stand a chance, which is absolutely impossible. It would be nice if it happened though. A fairy tale story.

 

Thiem has a very difficult road to the final now, with Khachanov and Nole. He probably won't reach the F to face Nadal. But, who knows, especially after the Serena Incident he might be motivated and start GOATing.

 

Edited by I6MTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

@Gollum

 

Neither would've had a chance against Nadal. Stan would've done worse probably. Only person who would've had a slight chance was Tsitsipas. But, now that Federer is into the SF, he realizes he is the underdog, he already has exceeded everyone's expectations. I mean reaching a RG SF at the age of 38, after being away from clay for 3-4 years, almost without dropping a set is a GOAT-worthy achievement. So, he knows he has a very negligible chance against Nadal, so he will play and swing freely, with his serve and net/volley game, he can stay competitive for a set and maybe take one.  Though, Nadal in 3 is most likely. Federer is  better than all of the  opponents Nadal's faced so far, still he would have to turn back the years, and play like his prime 27-28 year old self to stand a chance, which is absolutely impossible. It would be nice if it happened though. A fairy tale story.

 

Thiem has a very difficult road to the final now, with Khachanov and Nole. He probably won't reach the F to face Nadal. But, who knows, especially after the Serena Incident he might be motivated and start GOATing.

 

Hope thunderstorms hit RG, Nadal doesn't like wet clay cos his topspin will be nullified. I am happy with Fed's show but would have preferred had he lost today, let Stan be the lamb for slaughter. Anyhow he is shanking too much on the BH, he might get a good start but then the Spaniard will eventually moonball his BH to submission, seen it happen too many times for my liking on clay. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Hope thunderstorms hit RG, Nadal doesn't like wet clay cos his topspin will be nullified. I am happy with Fed's show but would have preferred had he lost today, let Stan be the lamb for slaughter. Anyhow he is shanking too much on the BH, he might get a good start but then the Spaniard will eventually moonball his BH to submission, seen it happen too many times for my liking on clay. 

Federer for one would have to drastically improve his BP conversion which was atrocious. And against Nadal who will be clutch when facing BPs it is quite difficult. Nadal is way more clutch than Wawrinka who Fed still  struggled to break. As for the BH, it would certainly better than their last Clay meeting in 2013 I think. The racquet change has certainly helped in his meeting against Rafa, though I dont know how it'll help him on clay.

 

The forecast is rainy and overcast conditons with thunderstorms, but Federer himself doesn't prefer those conditions. Nadal will struggle with less topspin though.

 

Federer should try the underarm serve. Would work quite well against Nadal returning so far away from the baseline. But unfortunately Fed is concerned about his image. Which will go down if he attempts such tactics. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Federer for one would have to drastically improve his BP conversion which was atrocious. And against Nadal who will be clutch when facing BPs it is quite difficult. Nadal is way more clutch than Wawrinka who Fed still  struggled to break. As for the BH, it would certainly better than their last Clay meeting in 2013 I think. The racquet change has certainly helped in his meeting against Rafa, though I dont know how it'll help him on clay.

That's always been his problem, hasn't it? Against both Nadal and Nole....1/17 in RG 2007 F and similar atrocious conversion in 2015 USO F. As you said he should play with no fear, come out swinging and not get mentally bogged down. 

BH is better than 2013 (old racquet) but needs to bring out the 2017 Indian Wells version of it to stand any chance. 

Quote

 

The forecast is rainy and overcast conditons with thunderstorms, but Federer himself doesn't prefer those conditions. Nadal will struggle with less topspin though.

Both don't like those conditions but it will close down the gap a bit. 

Quote

Federer should try the underarm serve. Would work quite well against Nadal returning so far away from the baseline. But unfortunately Fed is concerned about his image. Which will go down if he attempts such tactics. 

Never happening, Nadal has his wedding next month...doubt our man would want his name struck off the invitation list. 

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't care if fed losses to Nadal who is himself is invincible on clay...roger taking part in this clay season has itself elevated the excitement even at an age of 37 going 38...just simply magical...u have to just see the crowd attendance for his practice session on RG... simply the goat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nadal just won the French Open now. Today's play has been washed out. Leaving the remaining QF-ists to play the QF and SF in two consecutive days, while Nadal and Fed has two days off for the SF. The odds of Nadal winning has increased drastically. Nole will most likely tire out from facing Zverev and Thiem before meeting Nadal. I don't see Thiem, Zverev or Khachanov having a chance even when healthy, much less exhausted from playing best of 5 matches in 2 consecutive days with no rest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Top 4 seeds in a SF of a GS since I don't know when. Good to see Thiem and Nole through to the semis with minimal effort in the QF. Should be an exciting one. Thiem is raising his level just in time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pratik77 said:

At least someone from next gen is providing consistent results in GS...hope he makes it to the final...but standing in his path is wall:dong:

Only on clay though. Tsitsipas was close. Got unlucky running into the Stanimal this time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't remember Thiem ever delivering 2 great back to back matches against the big 3, usually he shines in one and next round gets promptly slaughtered. I hope for a Fed-Thiem or Nadal-Nole final, anything other than that will be depressing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gollum said:

I don't remember Thiem ever delivering 2 great back to back matches against the big 3, usually he shines in one and next round gets promptly slaughtered. I hope for a Fed-Thiem or Nadal-Nole final, anything other than that will be depressing. 

It would be nice to see Federer beat Nadal and Djokovic back to back. Though that's almost impossible. In the rare occurrence that he beats Nadal on Clay, Djokovic is a much tougher matchup for him. Only way he would have a chance is if Thiem-Nole went for 5 hours across two days cuz of the rain. 

I don't think Nole-Thiem will be easy, Thiem beat Nole easily when the latter was out of form for nearly 2 years. I feel Nole at his best is a bad matchup for Thiem. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Windy conditions but * have Fed's decision making abilities been poor today. Why so many stupid net approaches? Getting broken from 40-0, getting broken from the favorable side of the court, refusal to hit lobs, clueless drop shots, overall pathetic tactics :whack:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Conditions were horrible. But Federer had his chances, Nadal was good for the most part. Wasn't a total beatdown like 08 but still felt he could've taken a set. Sadly wasn't to be. Nadal was always gonna be too much for him.

 

Now the question remains how will the remaining to handle the weather? Both Nole and Thiem are not good wind players. Nadal and Federer are the best in these conditions and these actually favoured Nadal more. 

 

Now with Federer gone I am rooting for Thiem. He looks like he had something to prove. I know Djokovic may have the better chance against Rafa, but I feel Thiem might pull it off. He did beat a decent Rafa at Barcelona, He showed his best clay court game there. I think he'll fare better. But , if Thiem were to lose against Nole. I wouldnt be too sad with a Rafole final. Nole may pull it off. Nadal's level hasn't been too good, unlike in Rome. He also hasn't been tested yet, that may prove to be the downfall of him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Conditions were horrible. But Federer had his chances, Nadal was good for the most part. Wasn't a total beatdown like 08 but still felt he could've taken a set. Sadly wasn't to be. Nadal was always gonna be too much for him.

 

Now the question remains how will the remaining to handle the weather? Both Nole and Thiem are not good wind players. Nadal and Federer are the best in these conditions and these actually favoured Nadal more. 

 

Now with Federer gone I am rooting for Thiem. He looks like he had something to prove. I know Djokovic may have the better chance against Rafa, but I feel Thiem might pull it off. He did beat a decent Rafa at Barcelona, He showed his best clay court game there. I think he'll fare better. But , if Thiem were to lose against Nole. I wouldnt be too sad with a Rafole final. Nole may pull it off. Nadal's level hasn't been too good, unlike in Rome. He also hasn't been tested yet, that may prove to be the downfall of him.

Joker already complaining...kudos to fedal for fighting it in the wind...I saw match live...wind was terrible

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pratik77 said:

Joker already complaining...kudos to fedal for fighting it in the wind...I saw match live...wind was terrible

This is precisely why Nole will never be loved or have the same fan following as Roger or Rafa. Always complaining when conditions aren't satisfying. He used to be like this a decade ago, and it seems he still hasn't changed. He may have achieved so much since then and the winning mentality may be of a champion, but he is always a complainer. Rafa and Roger played thru the same conditions they didn't even complain, though both were affected  by it. Even Thiem didn't complain and carried on with the match.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

This is precisely why Nole will never be loved or have the same fan following as Roger or Rafa. Always complaining when conditions aren't satisfying. He used to be like this a decade ago, and it seems he still hasn't changed. He may have achieved so much since then and the winning mentality may be of a champion, but he is always a complainer. Rafa and Roger played thru the same conditions they didn't even complain, though both were affected  by it. Even Thiem didn't complain and carried on with the match.

Huh? Nadal is a serial complainer and whiner, always looking out for personal benefit. Fed doesn't need to because he is entitled and usually gets his way with tournament organizers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fed is losing the H2H battles to his main rivals, sad to see. Even Anand is doing the same, getting spanked by Carlsen every other day when it is time he calls it quits, learn from Kasparov, hell even Kramnik who retired earlier this year. Sad week for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Huh? Nadal is a serial complainer and whiner, always looking out for personal benefit. Fed doesn't need to because he is entitled and usually gets his way with tournament organizers. 

Nadal is. I still remember him threatening to not play Madrid from 13 onwards if they didn't  get rid of the blue clay.

 

Still, conditions got better at the end of the day but Nole refused to play, so match is postponed to tomorrow, effectively ensuring Nadal wins his 12th. Anyway Nole has lost a lot of respect from people because of his antics today.

Edited by I6MTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Fed is losing the H2H battles to his main rivals, sad to see. Even Anand is doing the same, getting spanked by Carlsen every other day when it is time he calls it quits, learn from Kasparov, hell even Kramnik who retired earlier this year. Sad week for me. 

Doesn't matter at the end. His playing style plus his GS records and weeks at no 1, will be remembered at the end. Nole might have the best chance to break Ted's records. I don't see Nadal successfully completing a hard court tournament without getting injured, and the fact that he sucks on grass, he would have to play the clay season and win it every year until the next few years , which is unlikely since we're already seeing signs of his decline from last year and this year. I still think Fed might add a GS or two, to his tally, most probably Wimbledon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

Nadal is. I still remember him threatening to not play Madrid from 13 onwards if they didn't  get rid of the blue clay.

Yeah, that sucked..enjoyed the 2012 Madrid Open so much. Nadal is the worst among the big 3.

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

 

Still, conditions got better at the end of the day but Noor refused to play, so match is postponed to tomorrow, effectively ensuring Nadal wins his 12th. 

RG organizers deserve this and more, such a pathetically run tournament. For the sake of tennis I hope we have a Monday final...otherwise this whole major has been a mockery. That way we will also be able to watch the Ind-Aus match in peace. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Yeah, that sucked..enjoyed the 2012 Madrid Open so much. Nadal is the worst among the big 3.

RG organizers deserve this and more, such a pathetically run tournament. For the sake of tennis I hope we have a Monday final...otherwise this whole major has been a mockery. That way we will also be able to watch the Ind-Aus match in peace. 

RG is by far the worst run GS. Scheduling is bad, the weather plus the lack of roof. No lights etc.

 

I still wonder would Nadal have won RG in recent years if the roof was installed before itself. 

 

I heard Nole might pull out of the SF if the final isn't postponed to monday.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Doesn't matter at the end. His playing style plus his GS records and weeks at no 1, will be remembered at the end. Nole might have the best chance to break Ted's records. I don't see Nadal successfully completing a hard court tournament without getting injured, and the fact that he sucks on grass, he would have to play the clay season and win it every year until the next few years , which is unlikely since we're already seeing signs of his decline from last year and this year.

 

Don't be so sure, if Nadal makes it past week 1 in SW19 he will be a legit contender. His 2018 grass form is enough to beat anyone in week 2 apart from Nole and Fed. 

 

He is in decline on clay but even that declined version is good enough to win more RGs. I have been living on this hope of his decline since the early part of this decade. 

Quote

I still think Fed might add a GS or two, to his tally, most probably Wimbledon.

1 more major is a remote possibility. 2, highly doubtful. His days of winning in RG and USO are over. Who would have guessed he wouldn't add to his USO tally post 2008 !!!

 

I want Fed to win 1 more ATP finals and a gold in Tokyo will be awesome as well. Again why did the choker lose to Goffin in 2017 after winning the first set so easily :wall:

Edited by Gollum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Gollum said:

 

Don't be so sure, if Nadal makes it past week 1 in SW19 he will be a legit contender. His 2018 grass form is enough to beat anyone in week 2 apart from Nole and Fed. 

 

He is in decline on clay but even that declined version is good enough to win more RGs. I have been living on this hope of decline since the early part of this decade. 

1 more major is a remote possibility. 2, highly doubtful. His days of winning in RG and USO are over. Who would have guessed he wouldn't add to his USO tally post 2008 !!!

 

I want Fed to win 1 more ATP finals and a gold in Tokyo will be awesome as well. Again why did the choker lose to Goffin in 2017 after winning the first set so easily :wall:

Combination of Federer getting tired plus Goffin peaking. 

 

In Wimbledon I am sure Tsitsipas, Cilic, Del Potro, can take him out in the second week. In the first week if he runs into Isner, or Kyrgios he's toast. 

In Clay, in his worst form  he can still win maybe a masters and a RG as evident from this year, but in future years the competition will get even stronger. Peak Thiem, Tsitsipas, Fognini, Nole, FAA can all win against him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Atrocious to see them calling off play when its bright sunshine. You already had one semi final in similar conditions. The other one should have continued. 

 

Regarding Federer, this is actually great result for Federer. Remember this was his first clay slam in yeas and he reached all the way to to Semis. He looks hungrier than ever to me and it bodes well for grass and the handcart season to follow. An easy win for Nadal as expected today but Federer fans need to look at the bigger picture - him making to semi finals without breaking sweat. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thiem is screwed again for the second week this time. Seriously RG is the worst Slam. Horrible conditions , empty crowds, etc. And absolutely disgusting on Noles part to just leave the stadium after play was suspended and call the shots, just because he had no interest in playing today. The weather was sunny for an hour anf a half. They could've easily finished the match today. Plus with Nole saying he wants the final on Monday if he wins. 

Edited by I6MTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Gollum said:

A real clownfest going on, Nadal will be laughing right now. 

I sincerely hope the final is on Monday. Neither of these two will have any chance. Thiem is really a brainless ball badhee at times with no plan B or smart tactics. He really should've wom this in 3 or 4. He really gifted that 4th set to Nole. Djokovic wasn't playing well at all, a lot of unforced errors.

Good news is it's raining now, if the match is delayed and they finish at a later time, they would have no choice but to postpone the match till Monday. It is a public holiday anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nadal vs Thiem this time. Seriously Thiem should just withdraw if the final is tomorrow. That will give a major kick in the ass to the RG officials. Already this tournament is one of the worst . All they need is an incomplete final to tarnish RGs legacy. Maybe the organisers will push this to Monday if Thiem threatens to withdraw. I'm sure they'd rather have a final with less attendance and ticket sales than a final that doesn't occur at all. They would be bothered about the tickets sold for Sunday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Others answered it. Indeed it will be tough but lets see what Thiem turns up tomorrow. 

He has to take from his barcelona win on how to play Nadal on PC. Thief's Barcelona level was the highest I've seen him. And Nadal wasn't even playing bad in that match. He was doing quite well but he was outplayed by Thiem in straight sets. And Barcelona is one of the tournaments with courts similar to Court PC and RG conditions.

 

I would give Thiem a chance based on that, plus the fact that he's one of the fittest players on the tour. The amount of overplaying the guy does without injury is astonishing. He will be more mentally fatigued considering how he was cloning on break points and match points. And considering how much that Djokovic-officials incident and Serena incident screwed Thiem, I think he'll be more motivated with something to prove. He'll be more ready than last year. 

Edited by I6MTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

He has to take from his barcelona win on how to play Nadal on PC. Thief's Barcelona level was the highest I've seen him. And Nadal wasn't even playing bad in that match. He was doing quite well but he was outplayed by Thiem in straight sets. And Barcelona is one of the tournaments with courts similar to Court PC and RG conditions.

 

I would give Thiem a chance based on that, plus the fact that he's one of the fittest players on the tour. The amount of overplaying the guy does without injury is astonishing. He will be more mentally fatigued considering how he was cloning on break points and match points. And considering how much that Djokovic-officials incident and Serena incident screwed Thiem, I think he'll be more motivated with something to prove. He'll be more ready than last year. 

Thiem if fully rested can take off a a set for sure. Goffin is the only one to take a set against Nadal this time.

 

You analysis are spot om. Thiem must take insipiratiom from Barcelona win and not worry about a 5 setter and take one set at a time. 

 

I hope and I am sure most world is hoping for Thiem to win tomorrow to stop

the beast. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cricketics said:

Thiem if fully rested can take off a a set for sure. Goffin is the only one to take a set against Nadal this time.

 

You analysis are spot om. Thiem must take insipiratiom from Barcelona win and not worry about a 5 setter and take one set at a time. 

 

I hope and I am sure most world is hoping for Thiem to win tomorrow to stop

the beast. 

Well Thiem certainly can. He is the strongest 1HBH on clay now. Unlike other 1HBH he doesn't have ae much trouble against Nadal on clay. Now that he's beaten him in Barcelona he'll fancy his chances more. What are the conditions for tomorrow? Sunny or windy/rainy? 

 

Nadal also hasnt been tested yet this tournament. Aside from a 38 year old Fed who's playing clay in the twilight of his career, his only other test was Goffin. But honestly, Nadal was leading 2 sets to love. He destroyed him in the first two sets. The third set was more of Nadal dropping his level slightly, and Goffin peaking and going for broke. I mean it's impossible to keep up a level which has 17 winners and 4 UEs for 2 more sets. So all Nadal had to do was wait till Goffins level dropped. He wasn't really tested at all. His match against Schwartzman and Bolleli last year were more testing. 

 

So considering Nadal hasn't been tested yet, he won't be able to raise his level and shift gears so soon like he usually does in the second week of RG. So Thiem must absolutely take the first set for this to be a match and maintain a high level throughout the second and try to take the second as well. Thiem will not get out of a 5 setter tomorrow as champion. If Thiem plays like barcelona then he has a decent chance of taking a 2 sets lead before Nadal raises his level and changes into his higher gears. Nadal if he's down two sets to love, it would be unseen territory for him. The pressure would be more on him than on Thiem.

Edited by I6MTW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...