I6MTW

2019 French Open

6 hours ago, I6MTW said:

Well Thiem certainly can. He is the strongest 1HBH on clay now. Unlike other 1HBH he doesn't have ae much trouble against Nadal on clay. Now that he's beaten him in Barcelona he'll fancy his chances more. What are the conditions for tomorrow? Sunny or windy/rainy? 

Nadal also hasnt been tested yet this tournament. Aside from a 38 year old Fed who's playing clay in the twilight of his career, his only other test was Goffin. But honestly, Nadal was leading 2 sets to love. He destroyed him in the first two sets. The third set was more of Nadal dropping his level slightly, and Goffin peaking and going for broke. I mean it's impossible to keep up a level which has 17 winners and 4 UEs for 2 more sets. So all Nadal had to do was wait till Goffins level dropped. He wasn't really tested at all. His match against Schwartzman and Bolleli last year were more testing. 

So considering Nadal hasn't been tested yet, he won't be able to raise his level and shift gears so soon like he usually does in the second week of RG. So Thiem must absolutely take the first set for this to be a match and maintain a high level throughout the second and try to take the second as well. Thiem will not get out of a 5 setter tomorrow as champion. If Thiem plays like barcelona then he has a decent chance of taking a 2 sets lead before Nadal raises his level and changes into his higher gears. Nadal if he's down two sets to love, it would be unseen territory for him. The pressure would be more on him than on Thiem.

Yes, I like the idea of the first set. Regarding the weather, things are back to normal in Paris and there won’t be much wind but more humid actually and they are expecting soem shower around mid day and late. 

Thiem taking first is surely something going to be unique since Nadal isn’t used to coming from behind in French Open, as he has never been in such situation in recent history or ever actuallly barring his two losses, so yes, it does make things interesting. Thiem must just keep fighting for every point and not let Nada pulverize him. 

Yep. Well Nadal gets his 12th title this year. As the case every year. We hope there will be somebody to challenge Nadal on Clay and RG, but last 15 years its been the same. Off to Grass I guess.

3 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

Yep. Well Nadal gets his 12th title this year. As the case every year. We hope there will be somebody to challenge Nadal on Clay and RG, but last 15 years its been the same. Off to Grass I guess.

I am still hoping Thiem will come back. Gave the set away, but lets see. Needs to break early here. 

Oh well. Thiem getting close every year. I think first he should beat Rafa in a GS. He came close last year in USO. And I think if Thiem beats Rafa in Monte Carlo. Then he'll fancy his chances to win against Rafa next year. Thiem after playing 4 days continuously with physical and mental exhaustion still managed to take Rafa to 4 sets, while playing at a high level for the first 2 sets. His exhaustion showed in sets 3 and 4 with so many UEs. So Thiem will be feeling confident and pretty good.

Would have ideally wanted Federer to win it but Rafa winning it is not bad for me. Im a fan of both with a slight bias towards Fedex. Rafa is the master of clay. I don't think anyone can equal or surpass his record at RG. Good outing for both of em. Now I want Fed to win the Wimbledon. Hope he can still win it. He's almost 38 :((

4 hours ago, Real McCoy said:

Would have ideally wanted Federer to win it but Rafa winning it is not bad for me. Im a fan of both with a slight bias towards Fedex. Rafa is the master of clay. I don't think anyone can equal or surpass his record at RG. Good outing for both of em. Now I want Fed to win the Wimbledon. Hope he can still win it. He's almost 38 :((

He has a good chance. He has to avoid Djokovic though. I would favor him over Rafa though. The only other players who can pose a threat to Federer on Grass is Del Potro, Tsitsipas, and Kyrgios. 

On 6/12/2019 at 2:51 PM, I6MTW said:

He has a good chance. He has to avoid Djokovic though. I would favor him over Rafa though. The only other players who can pose a threat to Federer on Grass is Del Potro, Tsitsipas, and Kyrgios. 

On Court One a few big servers will be tough for the Swiss maestro. Hope the organizers don't screw him like last year, he is the main attraction and on his last legs. 

Edited by Gollum

9 hours ago, Gollum said:

On Court One a few big servers will be tough for the Swiss maestro. Hope the organizers don't screw him like last year, he is the main attraction and on his last legs. 

Yeah, I think the one Court 1 match scheduled for Federer should be in the earlier rounds. Not in the QFs or 4th round as such.