World Cup? What World Cup?

Most teenagers can't name a single famous cricketer.

24 May 2019

It's 14 years since England beat Australia in one of the greatest Test series of all time.  It was a summer when the nation was hanging on every ball.  Nearly ten million people watched the gripping final match on TV.   Fatefully, 2005 was also the last summer when live cricket in the UK was on free-to-air TV (Channel 4).  

Today I was in a state school in leafy Dulwich - a corner of London that is filled with cricket grounds.  If you're trying to find cricket fans in London, Dulwich would be a good place to start.

I was with a class of 30 "Year 10s", many of whom were born in 2005.  So I thought I would ask them to fill in a short questionnaire for me:

(1) Name two famous footballers

(2) Name two famous cricketers.

I have just been through the results. All thirty of them named at least two footballers.

Only five were able to name even a single cricketer.  

The cricketers that they mentioned were:

Freddie Flintoff (3)..... [Flintoff has been retired for ten years]

Alistair Cook (2).....     [Cook retired from international cricket last year]

Joe Root (1)

Jimmy Anderson (1)

Ben Stokes (1)

Few of the class were aware that a World Cup is about to begin (down the road at The Oval), nor was there much awareness of this summer's Ashes series.

If I'd asked a similar age group in Australia to do the same survey, I suspect almost all of them could have named two famous cricketers.  That's partly because cricket is still on national free TV there.

Cricket is still, supposedly, one of the top three most popular sports in the UK.  But if my sample is anything to go by, for the younger generation it might as well not exist.

Why is Britain the benchmark?

India,Pak,Bangladesh,Srilanka,Afghan and add Nepal where it is catching up to the mix that is more than half of the world’s population that follow the game. Now even if 10% of all other cricket playing nations follow the World Cup that alone makes cricket wc the most watched event outside of the soccer WC.

Apparently NFL Super Bowl is the most watched television event every year. How many outside of USA even know who the most famous football player is?

8 minutes ago, maniac said:

Why is Britain the benchmark?

India,Pak,Bangladesh,Srilanka,Afghan and add Nepal where it is catching up to the mix that is more than half of the world’s population that follow the game. Now even if 10% of all other cricket playing nations follow the World Cup that alone makes cricket wc the most watched event outside of the soccer WC.

Apparently NFL Super Bowl is the most watched television event every year. How many outside of USA even know who the most famous football player is?

Tbh a lot of people in Britain know about Tom Brady. Cricket has already become an Asian sport, I asked my white British friends about world cup and they thought i was talking about rugby world cup. 

9 minutes ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Tbh a lot of people in Britain know about Tom Brady. Cricket has already become an Asian sport, I asked my white British friends about world cup and they thought i was talking about rugby world cup. 

So you are telling me there are a lot more people in Britain  know who Tom Brady is but don’t know who say Virat Kohli or MS Dhoni is?  Forget them following the game but just name recognition. I find that hard to beleive

Anyway who are these “lot of people?

9 minutes ago, maniac said:

So you are telling me there are a lot more people in Britain  know who Tom Brady is but don’t know who say Virat Kohli or MS Dhoni is?  Forget them following the game but just name recognition. I find that hard to beleive

Anyway who are these “lot of people?

Actually NFL has become quite popular in UK because of its extension and there were also some games played here. Yes, ask any young white British about Kohli or Dhoni, they wouldn't know them at all. Only British Asians are saving the game here in UK otherwise whites and other minorities have no idea about it. Same is in SA and NZ as well. Cricket is dying 

1 hour ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Actually NFL has become quite popular in UK because of its extension and there were also some games played here. Yes, ask any young white British about Kohli or Dhoni, they wouldn't know them at all. Only British Asians are saving the game here in UK otherwise whites and other minorities have no idea about it. Same is in SA and NZ as well. Cricket is dying 

My 11yr old cant name a single cricketer (has no clue who is Sachin tendulkar)  this is when he is surrounded by cricket fanatics. Even T20 is too long for those watching basketball and football. 

Majority Brits couldn't care less about  the cricket WC in England, and sponsors couldn't care less about attracting British customers

The cricket world cup is purely for India and Indian market. India matters for the cricket world cup.

For England, the Rugby World Cup held latter in year in Japan is a bigger deal and will much more keenly followed then this Cricket world.cup.

This was the case when World Cup was played in England in 99 as well. There was an ad in which an Indian travels to England and talks about World Cup to an Englishman and he says the World Cup is over. Europeans are primarily soccer fanatics. SC is the land of cricket fanatics.

3 hours ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Most teenagers can't name a single famous cricketer.

24 May 2019

It's 14 years since England beat Australia in one of the greatest Test series of all time.  It was a summer when the nation was hanging on every ball.  Nearly ten million people watched the gripping final match on TV.   Fatefully, 2005 was also the last summer when live cricket in the UK was on free-to-air TV (Channel 4).  

Today I was in a state school in leafy Dulwich - a corner of London that is filled with cricket grounds.  If you're trying to find cricket fans in London, Dulwich would be a good place to start.

I was with a class of 30 "Year 10s", many of whom were born in 2005.  So I thought I would ask them to fill in a short questionnaire for me:

(1) Name two famous footballers

(2) Name two famous cricketers.

I have just been through the results. All thirty of them named at least two footballers.

Only five were able to name even a single cricketer.  

The cricketers that they mentioned were:

Freddie Flintoff (3)..... [Flintoff has been retired for ten years]

Alistair Cook (2).....     [Cook retired from international cricket last year]

Joe Root (1)

Jimmy Anderson (1)

Ben Stokes (1)

Few of the class were aware that a World Cup is about to begin (down the road at The Oval), nor was there much awareness of this summer's Ashes series.

If I'd asked a similar age group in Australia to do the same survey, I suspect almost all of them could have named two famous cricketers.  That's partly because cricket is still on national free TV there.

Cricket is still, supposedly, one of the top three most popular sports in the UK.  But if my sample is anything to go by, for the younger generation it might as well not exist.

Proves that Brits are morons....

England has always been weak in Cricket. It's not surprising to see there's a less demand for it.

If you ask the same question about Hockey to Indians, even though it's our national sport, majority of them will find it hard to name even a single player. I myself included. 

27 minutes ago, Lannister said:

England has always been weak in Cricket. It's not surprising to see there's a less demand for it.

If you ask the same question about Hockey to Indians, even though it's our national sport, majority of them will find it hard to name even a single player. I myself included. 

Is Dhanraj Pillay still playing ? :cantstop: 

All the packed crowds we see during the English summers are a farse then ? 

I always felt that all those just need a place to drink some beer and enjoy the sun and cricket grounds are the best choice for that as all stadiums in England are open top expect may be Edgebaston ? 

5 hours ago, Franco Vazquez said:

Spectator turnout in Eng matches seem to paint a different story. May the lot of people that you spoke to follow other sports. Eng has many sport options as a fan.

Football >>>>>>>>> cricket 

Any day of the week.

Let's face it, you all would be watching soccer and supporting India big time if it was one of the good football sides in the world. Oh and soccer has a proper world cup unlike cricket. 
When is the last time England won the world cup??

Let alone winning it but into finals

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk