Hindi Imposition and it's implications: News, Updates & Discussion

Lannister

6 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

Even though this might have happened in 2017......The feelings of people living in Punjab is still the same to this day, also recently a Punjabi singer highlighted this issue in his video.....Hindi is not the main language in Punjab...so can't be at the top....simple as that.

If anyone from another state feels offended....please have ONLY Hindi signs in your respective states....thanks

In South, we do the Pooja in a much different way. It involves lot of old slippers and broom sticks. 

I am all for linguistic diversity (stems from my family background and upbringing, 2 states...me born and brought up in 3rd state :--D) and not in favor of any form of Hindi imposition. But totally against scaremongering, if there is a genuine attempt at any form of imposition rest assured my voice will be the loudest. But remember the story of the boy who cried wolf, don't be like the shepherd boy.

35 minutes ago, FischerTal said:

iss thread main hum sirf shuddh Hindi bhasha likhne ka prayas karenge. jisko aapatti hon iss paristhiti se woh ganga mein snan karne ki puri taiyaari kare, dhanyavad. 

Bahut kathin hai mitr, vidyalay ke Hindi pariksha mein bhi kabhi shuddh Hindi ka prayog nahi kiya, ab kai varsh ho gaye hai aur aaudhunik yug ke bhasha evam hamari boli mein atyadhik milavat. Kintu iss thread mein prayas avashya karenge :top:

Edited by Gollum

46 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

Even though this might have happened in 2017......The feelings of people living in Punjab is still the same to this day, also recently a Punjabi singer highlighted this issue in his video.....Hindi is not the main language in Punjab...so can't be at the top....simple as that.

If anyone from another state feels offended....please have ONLY Hindi signs in your respective states....thanks

Only Sikhs feel this way in Punjab and they are less than 60% of the population. Hindu shops and Hindu dominated areas have signs in Hindi. As the Sikh population falls the future of Punjab looks more and more like being Hindi.

25 minutes ago, Under_Score said:

I'm not talking about shops...private businesses can have their private language it doesn't matter....it's the main Traffic / Highway signs of a State...I know what you mean.....The original map of Punjab after partition included Haryana & Himachal.....now even Chandigarh which used to be the capital state of Punjab is now a 'Union Territory' ....this is the Justice Sikhs got from Hindustan after all the sacrifices made during pre/post-Independence period...complete treachery by the Gandhis/Nehru :wp1:

Well road signs in Jalandhar which is a Hindu majority city (74%) are in Punjabi and Hindi, I think it's the same in Ludhiana.

Let's be honest here and I mean no offence. Punjab was split from Haryana and Himachal to form a Sikh majority state. Chandigarh is an 80% Hindu city and the vast majority of the people speak Hindi there, it is not a Punjabi city. I really don't know why these Punjabi singers glorify it so much when the culture and language is not really Punjabi. Sikhs are a measly 13% of Chandigarh, what rights do they have on the city? I'm sure if a census was done in Chandigarh to ask the residents which state they would like to join the vast majority would choose Haryana.

5 hours ago, Lannister said:

what about people who cant read punjabi? You also need to write slogans in a language that most people can read either English or Hindi along with the regional language.

Also, what about English imposition on South Indians?

44 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

what about people who cant read punjabi? You also need to write slogans in a language that most people can read either English or Hindi along with the regional language.

There are many who don't know Hindi either. Do you see the same facilities done for their convenience? 

46 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

Also, what about English imposition on South Indians?

South chose English on its own. No one imposed. I don't mind having Hindi as one of the optional languages in schools. But it should be people's choice whether they want to learn it or not. 

3 minutes ago, Lannister said:

There are many who don't know Hindi either. Do you see the same facilities done for their convenience? 

South chose English on its own. No one imposed. I don't mind having Hindi as one of the optional languages in schools. But it should be people's choice whether they want to learn it or not. 

dont think anyone chose English on its own.

Regarding first part, yes, sign boards must be in Hindi and English everywhere and then the third language should be the regional language of the state.  Order of language does not matter to me.  I am not trying to be any language supremacist neither should people have any problem in what order they are on a board.  It is trivial and pointless and is another tool to politicize and divide people after religion and caste.  I despise anyone dividing people for such trivial matters.  We need to respect choices of people and their religion but most of the above we need to steadily come out of the net of bigotry and let religions develop with the time we live and not blindly follow what was written thousands of years back.

8 minutes ago, rkt.india said:

dont think anyone chose English on its own.

Regarding first part, yes, sign boards must be in Hindi and English everywhere and then the third language should be the regional language of the state.  Order of language does not matter to me.  I am not trying to be any language supremacist neither should people have any problem in what order they are on a board.  It is trivial and pointless and is another tool to politicize and divide people after religion and caste.  I despise anyone dividing people for such trivial matters.  We need to respect choices of people and their religion but most of the above we need to steadily come out of the net of bigotry and let religions develop with the time we live and not blindly follow what was written thousands of years back.

Like I said it should be always people's choice whether they want to learn it or not. Whether they want some language to take root in their state. It's not your choice. How many other Indian languages do you know apart from Hindi? 

38 minutes ago, Lannister said:

Like I said it should be always people's choice whether they want to learn it or not. Whether they want some language to take root in their state. It's not your choice. How many other Indian languages do you know apart from Hindi? 

How does that matter?  You learn what is taught to you or you learn if that could help you in your career.  No one chose English.  We learnt it because it was taught to us.  People would learn any language that is taught to them in schools and colleges or could help them in their profession.  And there was even a time 15-20 years back when in govt schools, the would teach English only after class 5th.  No English in primary school and it was not the choice of students.  

1 hour ago, Lannister said:

wait 

If you have sign posts only in Hindi then it becomes an imposition

If you have signs in Hindi, regional language and English. It it surely upto the person which sign they can follow?

The problem I have is people saying simply having the signs in Hindi (when other regional options are available) is an imposition. How?

Punjabis should be the last ones to cry. They are the ones imposing their songs and culture in every discotheque, dance club, sangeet and marriages. Sick of Punjabi being imposed by bollywood nutcases. The nuances of Hindi/regional art/literature and culture is lost in time. Sab log hamesha... tunak tunak tu tunak tunak tu karte rahate hain :rofl:

i think local language + Hindi + English is necessary.

Local because most people only know that.

Hindi because many people who only know Hindi travel around

English because many people who know some other regional/ international language and only English also travel around. 

what order is not important unless the local population feels so.

10 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

The problem I have is people saying simply having the signs in Hindi (when other regional options are available) is an imposition. How?

see in south India there are entire villages even towns or regions where hindi is not known in the least bit. They need local language signs to live its a life requirement folks who use the bus need road signs to travel etc. 

If the central govt wants them to learn hindi then provide some form of incentive for learning the language whatever it is and it will spread. But putting up road signs only in hindi is not going to fly, local language and English needs to be there as well. Otherwise, its a stupid way to impose a language.