Hindi Imposition and it's implications: News, Updates & Discussion

Lannister

6 hours ago, Gollum said:

Bahut kathin hai mitr, vidyalay ke Hindi pariksha mein bhi kabhi shuddh Hindi ka prayog nahi kiya, ab kai varsh ho gaye hai aur aaudhunik yug ke bhasha evam hamari boli mein atyadhik milavat. Kintu iss thread mein prayas avashya karenge :top:

why dint you use 'Dhaaga' ? :laugh:

7 minutes ago, Vilander said:

see in south India there are entire villages even towns or regions where hindi is not known in the least bit. They need local language signs to live its a life requirement folks who use the bus need road signs to travel etc. 

If the central govt wants them to learn hindi then provide some form of incentive for learning the language whatever it is and it will spread. But putting up road signs only in hindi is not going to fly, local language and English needs to be there as well. Otherwise, its a stupid way to impose a language. 

i totally agree that signs first and foremost need to be in the local lang. No dispute there.

But whats the issue if the same sign is in English Hindi and local lang?

18 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Punjabis should be the last ones to cry. They are the ones imposing their songs and culture in every discotheque, dance club, sangeet and marriages. Sick of Punjabi being imposed by bollywood nutcases. The nuances of Hindi/regional art/literature and culture is lost in time. Sab log hamesha... tunak tunak tu tunak tunak tu karte rahate hain :rofl:

Bhai from which state are you? Mother tongue? 

16 minutes ago, G_B_ said:

i totally agree that signs first and foremost need to be in the local lang. No dispute there.

But whats the issue if the same sign is in English Hindi and local lang?

no issues. Infact i want it in English and Hindi so that i can make out what is written. 

18 minutes ago, Gollum said:

Bhai from which state are you? Mother tongue? 

United States of South India, Kannada. What's your point? I have been to marriages in Chennai, where the girls demanded 10k for giving back the groom's chappal. WTF! Sangeet with all Punjabi songs. Punjabis are doing fine by the whole of India celebrating Punjabi culture. 

40 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

Punjabis should be the last ones to cry. They are the ones imposing their songs and culture in every discotheque, dance club, sangeet and marriages. Sick of Punjabi being imposed by bollywood nutcases. The nuances of Hindi/regional art/literature and culture is lost in time. Sab log hamesha... tunak tunak tu tunak tunak tu karte rahate hain :rofl:

People living or born in Punjab have no say in these matters. The only reason Punjabi music is popular in Bollywood is due to Punjab having a powerful music industry which has great production values and the similarity the language has to Hindi. The people living in Punjab have imposed Punjabi on no one whatsoever.

I wish English is made our national language, as such it is the lingua franca of the world and provides tremendous benefits. 3 language formula is the way to go, make Northies (Hindi and related dialect speakers) learn an extra one apart from English/Hindi...it may be a South Indian language or Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Assamese, Manipuri, maybe even Sanskrit, Pali if they want, we have to revive our lost languages as well. For rest it should be English, local language and Hindi. Problem solved, everybody happy. In my school (ICSE, Bengal) we had no such jhamela, my 2nd language was Hindi (class 2-10) and compulsory 3rd language Bengali learnt for 3 years (class 5-7)....most Bengalis opted for Bengali as 2nd language (9 years) and Hindi as 3rd (3 years). Hope other boards in non-Hindi states follow the same formula, both local language and Hindi compulsory, preference up to the individual. 

To Southies (and NE folk) message is simple, knowing Hindi is a useful tool to have since majority Indians know it, at least basic understanding. No one expects you to be Munshi Premchand or Mahadevi Varma. 

To Hindi speaking Northies, you are a privileged lot, make some compromises and try to learn a 3rd language, it will also expose you to another culture, help in national integration. Maybe learn Sanskrit as 3rd language and bring it back from the crypt :dontknow:

To resident Bengalis, Marathis, Gujjus etc..chill, nothing to do with this tamasha. 

Edited by Gollum

10 minutes ago, coffee_rules said:

United States of South India, Kannada. What's your point? I have been to marriages in Chennai, where the girls demanded 10k for giving back the groom's chappal. WTF! Sangeet with all Punjabi songs. Punjabis are doing fine by the whole of India celebrating Punjabi culture. 

No point, just asked. I was 99% sure of you being Kannadiga cos who else likes the mediocre Mysore Pak :p:?

Yup Punjabi culture is omnipresent, thanks to Bollywood. Gujarati may be a distant 2nd. 

Edited by Gollum

7 hours ago, Lannister said:

I had this tweet in my twitter feed today. 

So imagine, for Punjabis who are much closer to Hindi belts and share their culture, to feel this way. How do you suppose Southern states would react to this nonsense. 

They will be shivering pu$$ies. As you prove. 

17 minutes ago, Gollum said:

I wish English is made our national language, as such it is the lingua franca of the world and provides tremendous benefits. 3 language formula is the way to go, make Northies (Hindi and related dialect speakers) learn an extra one apart from English/Hindi...it may be a South Indian language or Bengali, Marathi, Gujarati, Assamese, Manipuri, maybe even Sanskrit, Pali if they want, we have to revive our lost languages as well. For rest it should be English, local language and Hindi. Problem solved, everybody happy. In my school (ICSE, Bengal) we had no such jhamela, my 2nd language was Hindi (class 2-10) and compulsory 3rd language Bengali learnt for 3 years (class 5-7)....most Bengalis opted for Bengali as 2nd language (9 years) and Hindi as 3rd (3 years). Hope other boards in non-Hindi states follow the same formula, both local language and Hindi compulsory, preference up to the individual. 

To Southies (and NE folk) message is simple, knowing Hindi is a useful tool to have since majority Indians know it, at least basic understanding. No one expects you to be Munshi Premchand or Mahadevi Varma. 

To Hindi speaking Northies, you are a privileged lot, make some compromises and try to learn a 3rd language, it will also expose you to another culture, help in national integration. If that is not up your alley learn Sanskrit as 3rd language and bring it back from the crypt. 

To resident Bengalis, Marathis, Gujjus etc..chill, nothing to do with this tamasha. 

Japan, China, Russia would never make their national language English!

20 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

People living or born in Punjab have no say in these matters. The only reason Punjabi music is popular in Bollywood is due to Punjab having a powerful music industry which has great production values and the similarity the language has to Hindi. The people living in Punjab have imposed Punjabi on no one whatsoever.

SOrry, you forgot to check the Irony meter in my post. It was made in jest.

2 hours ago, Lannister said:

There are many who don't know Hindi either. Do you see the same facilities done for their convenience? 

South chose English on its own. No one imposed. I don't mind having Hindi as one of the optional languages in schools. But it should be people's choice whether they want to learn it or not. 

false, South chose English as much as they chose their British masters. English in South is not due to choice but due to LACK of choice.

1 hour ago, Lannister said:

Like I said it should be always people's choice whether they want to learn it or not. Whether they want some language to take root in their state. It's not your choice. How many other Indian languages do you know apart from Hindi? 

Your state rights do not trump my national rights. It is my choice what i will do in Bengaluru, whether its bring Bong culture or Hindi culture. Its a free country and no amount of dravidian-giri will change that. It is my choice. 

3 language formula suits all. So, there is no imposition of anybody. I wonder why cow-belt people are against 3 language formula. A lot of newer generation have not learnt their mother tonque (to read), as they learn German, French, etc as 2nd language, so we will be a confused lot, there will be opposition to the 3rd language signs as nobody would know how to read.

10 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Now they are keen, nay desperate to learn English. They may not make it national language but are smart enough to understand the ground reality. No other language can stand up to English in today's world.....English is the language of knowledge dissemination and will continue to be so in the foreseeable future. 

We have a natural advantage because of the colonial rule, why not use it? Besides how many languages do we have and how many does Japan have? If we were a one language country maybe you would have a point. Others may have 2-3, but in India we have 100s of languages !!!!

Edited by Gollum

45 minutes ago, Ranvir said:

Till 80s most of the chess literature in the world was in Russian, Soviets had monopolized all the knowledge of the game and others had to learn Russian to not surrender a huge advantage. Soviets didn't give a damn about what rest of the world thought, I remember PCs  (as late as mid 90s) where Anand would sit and smile sheepishly while all questions, answers and analysis would be conducted in Russian. Fischer in the 60s mastered Russian and often thought, analyzed in that language...such was the hold. Russian was to chess what Latin was to the scientific world till mid 17th century. 

Today Russian chess schools have opted for English along with their native tongue. The literature now is mostly in English, all players communicate in English, hell the greatest product of the Soviet School of Chess GM Garry Kimovich Kasparov pens his game analysis and chess books in English, even he has abandoned Russian. If English can make such deep inroads in a discipline (and stubborn territory) where the driving force for change in balance of power has come not from the Anglosphere but India (not Anglospehere yet), China, Spain, Germany, Hungary, Norway, Poland, France, Cuba etc..that speaks volumes about the power of English.

Likewise in academic research there is a perceptible shift in attitude of Russia, China, South Korea etc towards English and not the other way around. There is a reason why English teaching has become such a high paying job in China's education system, even in top (creme de la creme) Universities where there is thrust on research on English language and how best to utilize/teach it to the wider population. India is getting complacent in this regard, while Chinese are making quick progress....this was one area where we historically had huge advantage over them and it will diminish fast if we aren't proactive. 

Edited by Gollum

2 hours ago, rkt.india said:

How does that matter?  You learn what is taught to you or you learn if that could help you in your career.  No one chose English.  We learnt it because it was taught to us.  People would learn any language that is taught to them in schools and colleges or could help them in their profession.  And there was even a time 15-20 years back when in govt schools, the would teach English only after class 5th.  No English in primary school and it was not the choice of students.  

It does matter. It is the choice of the students whether he wants to learn Hindi or not. But yes the decisions are mostly taken by their parents, and why would any sane person would go for Hindi, unless it's made a mandatory subject. The CBSC and ICSC schools in b'lore don't even have Kannada as a subject in their curriculum. See this is the result of Hindi imposition. We didn't have such problems when English was the only other language. 

2 hours ago, G_B_ said:

wait 

If you have sign posts only in Hindi then it becomes an imposition

If you have signs in Hindi, regional language and English. It it surely upto the person which sign they can follow?

The problem I have is people saying simply having the signs in Hindi (when other regional options are available) is an imposition. How?

It's not just limited to the signs, but every platform has been invaded by Hindi. If you visit railway stations, you will barely see the native language or English. Why would you want to use Hindi, when no can even understands the language. 

Edited by Lannister