WC 2019 | Match 1 | ENG v SA | London | 30 May 3:00 PM IST

The first match of this World Cup. England versus South Africa.

Probably for the first time in WC history that England start as favourites and SA not considered one.

Might be blessing in disguise for SA, and lets them play without too much pressure.

Squads

England: Eoin Morgan (C), Jason Roy, Johny Bairstow, Joe Root, Ben Stokes, Jos Buttler (WK), Moeen Ali, Chris Woakes, Liam Dawson, James Vince, Tom Curran, Liam Plunkett, Jofra Archer, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood.

South Africa: Faf du Plessis (C), Hashim Amla, Quinton de Kock (WK), Aiden Markram, Rassie van der Dussen, JP Duminy, David Miller, Andile Phehlukwayo, Dale Steyn, Kagiso Rabada, Lungi Ngidi, Tabraiz Shamsi, Dwaine Pretorius, Chris Morris, Imran Tahir.

Hehe I was supposed to make this thread. But it's alright. 

SA are without Steyn for this contest. A lot depends on the team selected and the toss of course. The Oval has become a flat belter in recent years and NZ have the highest total at this ground - 398 . In general, you'd want to win toss and bat first and hope that spin plays a role in the 2nd innings. However, it's hard to say considering India struggled to defend 321 against Lanka and then struggled to chase 340 against Pakistan. A total  of 350 should be defendable and that's what Saffers should look to do. Much depends on the top 3 the Saffers play . If a top 3 of Quinton, Amla and Markram fires with Miller and phehlukwayo finishing things off , this should be a very good contest. 

Just now, nitinbwj said:

SA has quality pacers in Rabada and Ngidi.Eng in the other hand have hard hitters from top to bottom and crap bowlers.

Archer, Woakes, Wood and Rashid are not 'crap' bowlers by any stretch of the imagination. Since 2015, Woakes has found more seam movement in the initial PP than any other ODI bowler. When combined with his persistent , top of off line and length, it makes him the best new ball bowler in ODIs. Wood and Archer are pretty accurate and get it up to 95 mph. Rashid is one of the best spinners in the ODI format. This a damn good bowling attack

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/cricket/article-7082231/Eoin-Morgan-hoping-boost-crickets-profile-like-never-winning-World-Cup.html

'To go and win it, I couldn't imagine what that would do': England captain Eoin Morgan hoping to boost cricket's profile like never before by winning World Cup on home soil

14097244-7082231-image-a-140_15591311234

14097246-7082231-image-a-137_15591310754

Any time i see these images i remember Sunil's frustrated comments "Footballers don't play cricket for warm up why are we playing football"

38 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

No Dale Steyn as well. They could steamroll SA. Most likely it will be a flat road where Rabada is not going to be that effective.

I hope Eng streamroll them,  a Buttler 100 would be perfect

5 hours ago, Nikhil_cric said:

Archer, Woakes, Wood and Rashid are not 'crap' bowlers by any stretch of the imagination. Since 2015, Woakes has found more seam movement in the initial PP than any other ODI bowler. When combined with his persistent , top of off line and length, it makes him the best new ball bowler in ODIs. Wood and Archer are pretty accurate and get it up to 95 mph. Rashid is one of the best spinners in the ODI format. This a damn good bowling attack

On these roads. Not really !