Which was the best world cup ever from a cricketing point of view?

Which was the best ever world cup from point of view of quality of cricket?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Which was the best ever world cup from point of view of quality of cricket?

9 hours ago, maniac said:

1987 WC a couple of things are stuck in my memory even though was very young.

Here are a few things I remember vaguely 

There was an Ind-Pak  day and night exhibition match in colored clothing which India won convincingly just before the WC

David Houghton of Zimbabwe single handedly smashing the kiwis

Azharuddin taking 3 wickets including a brilliant caught and bowled against Australia

Gavaskar-Srikanth partnership where Sunny was absolutely killing it and Chetan Sharma hat trick against kiwis.

Sunny being bowled in the semi finals against England. May be @Audiophile or @vvvslaxman or @Tattieboy can correct me but didn’t he do the crouching pose after getting bowled made famous by another fellow Mumbai legend :giggle:. That’s my only memory of the semifinal

1992 was the first world cup I followed completely and I still rate 1991-1992 as my real start as a cricket fan.

I liked the format then with the colored clothing and white ball. Even though the final was a bumme :(( 

1996 was during my 10th board exams so was only allowed to watch for a hour or 2 here and there  :(( saw the entire Ind-Pak qf game though. Totally worth it :two_thumbs_up: 

1999 for me despite India’s poor show was the best WC. Lots of memorable moments

The semifinal is singlehandedly the greatest game of cricket ever played. Loved the Aus-SA league game as well followed by

Lance Kluesner, The Dada-Dravid partnership and total butt kicking of SL , India’s epic collapse against Zimbabwe, Win against Pakistan,Sachin losing his dad and coming back and scoring a 100, Pakistan losing to Bangladesh, the drubbing Pak got in the final, too many great moments. 

2003 is my 2nd fav WC.

2011 had a feeling India was going to walk through . QF,Semis were tough games and the final meant a lot as a Sachin fan who followed his career throughout. From a result POV my fav wc as I didn’t watch the 1983 one.

2015 was meh. 

There were strong rumours Gavaskar deliberately got out to get back at Eden Gardens crowd.  Remember Sunny dropped Kapil dev from Kolkatta Test in 1984/85 series because Kapil played an irresponsible shot. Eden Gardens was pissed off and booed Sunny.  Final was supposed to happen at Eden Gardens. Although it is far fetched, the rumours were very strong. 

Here is that dismissal

5 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

There were strong rumours Gavaskar deliberately got out to get back at Eden Gardens crowd.  Remember Sunny dropped Kapil dev from Kolkatta Test in 1984/85 series because Kapil played an irresponsible shot. Eden Gardens was pissed off and booed Sunny.  Final was supposed to happen at Eden Gardens. Although it is far fetched, the rumours were very strong. 

Here is that dismissal

Yeah that’s a little far fetched I mean wouldn’t he want to rather retire on a high winning a wc?

18 minutes ago, maniac said:

Yeah that’s a little far fetched I mean wouldn’t he want to rather retire on a high winning a wc?

For one thing India didn't actually depend on Gavaskar to win a ODI.  Vengsarkar was the key. He had like 1500 runs in 14 tests . In supreme touch. Then Srikkanth was explosive. Sidhu was also evolving. Kapil dev was there.

Edited by vvvslaxman

2007. It was the closest thing we could ever get to a FIFA WC. Real underdogs and I mean real not someone like Pak but real underdogs performed well in that tournament and gave us a new cricket team in Ireland. 2011 was average because it was boring and predictable as eff. Like 3 out of four semi finalists were Asian so that’s not something shocking and also to realize that almost all of the knockout games were one sided and also to mention that attendance in that tournament was pathetic. I remember a match in which only policemen and security were watching the match. 2015 was another bore but it had some really close nail biting games especially that NZ/SA SF. A lot other matches were close as well in the league games. I didn’t watch any WC before that but I see people saying 92 WC was amazing. I don’t know what’s so special about that tournament because all I see is a lot of matches were rain affected and farce that was SF between SA/ENG. 

Only remember bits and pieces of 96( barely 6 years old) but 99 was fantastic. '03 was very good but England should have qualified for super sizes and one of West Indies or SA. '07 - worst cricket tournament ever. '11 - Great tournament and the last proper 50 over world cup. '15 - first extended T20 world cup although some matches were terrific - Oz Vs NZ. 

14 hours ago, maniac said:

1987 WC a couple of things are stuck in my memory even though was very young.

Here are a few things I remember vaguely 

There was an Ind-Pak  day and night exhibition match in colored clothing which India won convincingly just before the WC

David Houghton of Zimbabwe single handedly smashing the kiwis

Azharuddin taking 3 wickets including a brilliant caught and bowled against Australia

Gavaskar-Srikanth partnership where Sunny was absolutely killing it and Chetan Sharma hat trick against kiwis.

Sunny being bowled in the semi finals against England. May be @Audiophile or @vvvslaxman or @Tattieboy can correct me but didn’t he do the crouching pose after getting bowled made famous by another fellow Mumbai legend :giggle:. That’s my only memory of the semifinal

1992 was the first world cup I followed completely and I still rate 1991-1992 as my real start as a cricket fan.

I liked the format then with the colored clothing and white ball. Even though the final was a bumme :(( 

1996 was during my 10th board exams so was only allowed to watch for a hour or 2 here and there  :(( saw the entire Ind-Pak qf game though. Totally worth it :two_thumbs_up: 

1999 for me despite India’s poor show was the best WC. Lots of memorable moments

The semifinal is singlehandedly the greatest game of cricket ever played. Loved the Aus-SA league game as well followed by

Lance Kluesner, The Dada-Dravid partnership and total butt kicking of SL , India’s epic collapse against Zimbabwe, Win against Pakistan,Sachin losing his dad and coming back and scoring a 100, Pakistan losing to Bangladesh, the drubbing Pak got in the final, too many great moments. 

2003 is my 2nd fav WC.

2011 had a feeling India was going to walk through . QF,Semis were tough games and the final meant a lot as a Sachin fan who followed his career throughout. From a result POV my fav wc as I didn’t watch the 1983 one.

2015 was meh. 

2011 SF Ind- Pak. It was curfew in the heat. Roads were empty here in Mohali. I remember going to office and then bunking in the afternoon for the match..big screens in Sector 17 market ( A very famous place in Chandigarh ) Lots of people..cricket cricket everywhere. 

1992 was only world Cup where no one was favorites. Every team could have beaten other team on a given day. It could have been greatest world Cup. But became a joke of world Cup because of two farcical matches i.e. South Africa vs Australia and English vs Pakistan.

• 1975 to 1983: Red ball cricket. 55-60 overs a side 
  • 1987: Red ball cricket. 50 overs a side 
  • 1992: White ball cricket (colored clothing), power plays, etc. 

1975-87 was one phase. 1992 to the present is a different phase. 90s produced some great cricket in WCs including innovation. SL took batting in PPs to a new level in 96. 99 was SA vs AUS rivalry .... 2000s was mainly about OZ domination .... In 2010s, things have opened up again 

2003.  It was a coming out party for SA to host it.  An all time great team deservingly won it.  India had its share of memorable moments, but so did many other teams and players.  You had an associate team (Kenya) go deep into the tournament.  You had that Canadian(Aussie) score that century, India-Pakistan cracker game, Andy Bichel.  Lara's century that killed the South Africans with class, a classic Saffer duckworth lewis moment.  Everything really.  

Bonus points for Inzamam losing more kilos in body weight than scoring runs. :p:

2003 shouldn't be in the reckoning cos a few teams refused to play in Zimbabwe and Kenya. Kenya in a WC SF, ultimate joke. And quality of a tournament depends a great deal on SFs and F...2 out of 3 were blowouts in that edition, especially that boring final. 

My vote among non-Majid Khan ones: 1987

I enjoyed both 1999 and 2003 a lot. 1999, even though India did not do great, it was still fun World Cup to watch. The games were tight and Aus and South Africa were brilliant. Lance Klucener lit the tournament. It was also my first ever World Cup which I watched with full interest and kept eye on pretty much every game. It was true "Carnival of Cricket" as was the song of the World Cup 1999. 

Followed every match in 1987. Was there at Eden Gardens for the final. Still vivid from those teenage days. The stadium could hold over 100,000 people then and the final was filled to capacity. 90% + were supporting Australia and every time the Brits would unfurl the English flag, they were met with boos and choice bengali gaalis ... "bokachauda shuorer bachha, flag ta nama, nahole gaar mere debo" :lol: :lol:

Edited by Audiophile