Australia and West Indies-my choices for winning 2019 world cup

Who will win 2019 cricket world cup?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win 2019 cricket world cup?

• Australia
    • India
    • England
    • Pakistan
    • New Zealand
    • Sri Lanka
    • South Africa
    • Bangladesh
    • Afghanistan
    • West Indies

It may sound suprising and some viewers may mock me but I have a strong insight that West Indies may well clinch the 2019 world cup.With the Calypsos I back the Australian side or kangaroos equally.So I predict an Australia -West Indies final.I back Australia,West Indies,England and India to make the semi-final.

I agree that England is the most balanced side and deserve favouritism with their recent record at home and away.They have displayed remarkable consistency and organization and been particularly succesful against Australia both home and away which is notable.Combination of Jason Roy,Joe Root,Bairstow,Ben Stokes,Mark Wood,Chris Woakes,Moen Ali,Archer,Joss Butler etc. make England a perfectly balanced unit Howevever England has never won a world cup inspite or reaching 5 semi-finals and 3 finals and may face too much pressure of the favourites tag.England have also never won an ICC trophy inspite of being the best team in 2013 and 2017.In world cup history England just lacked that crunch or match-winning killer instinct to win a world cup which was in their grasp in 1987,1992 and arguably even 1979.Some teams are ever -consistent but just lack the necessary adrelanin to win a world cup likePakistan in 1992.

India may not be as balanced but has arguably more match-winners or charismatic players than England..However it does not have the experience of some of the teams and infused fresh talent.I also feel Virat Kohli is not a great tactician as a skipper and this may go against India.India has a great bowling attack but is slightly vulnerable in the batting aspect.It depends which side of the graph INdia are on.Somehow I feel India lacks preparation unlike Pakisatn who played 5 matches against England.Notable that unlike England India has beaten South Africa on their soil.No playesr of any side surpass the talent of Virat Kohli,Rohit Sharma or Jasprit Bhumrah.The pitches will also probably suit India.

Australia are not as balanced as England but have peaked at the right time winning succesive series away against India and Pakistan.It has the advantage of wining the cup 5 times before and has never lost a semi-final.The world cup is not about just team balance or consistency but ability to peak or lift ones game at the right or spur of the moment.Australia are masters at galvanzing their resources when a crisis awaits them to rise like a phoenix from the Ashes.No team ever has had the mental fortitude or match temperament of Australia .The return of Steve Smith and David Warner would play a major factor.Also match-winners in Aaron Finch,Michel Starc etc.

West Indies are the dark horses and on their day can blaze away in a run chase like no other team.In the recent 2-2 drawn series they proved that they could be as good as anybody and all but won the series.It has some of the most dashing stroke players ever seen in a world cup like Gayle ,Andre Russell and Brathwaithe and talented allrounders.It is similar to the side that won the 2004 ICC trophy.It is overdue now that a dark horse wins with favourites triumphing since 2003.With a bit of luck West Indies may well have won the title also in 1983 and 1987 in addition to those won in 1975 and 1979.It also came within touching distance as dark horses in 1996.It is notable that they lifted the t-20 world cup in India in 2016.Shimron Hetmeyer,Chris Gayle,Dwayne Bravo,Andre Russell and Shai Hope are match-winners on their daywho can explode like a dynamite.

I believe Pakistan has an outside chance of wining and will benefit from playing 5 games against England.It has some promising talent and on their day they can beat anyone.They came very close to winning 2 games against England which is significant.It also has a very small tail and strong depth in batting.I give New Zealand as much chance as I give Pakistan.I have a strong gut feeling that if Pakistan makes the semis then they will go on to win the tournament..Players like Inam Ul Haqand Faqar Zaman are match-winners as well as Junaid Khan ,Mohammad Amir or Mohammad Hafeez.

Thus I predict a repeat of 1975 final and it is anybody's guess who will win.My head says Australia,my heart says West Indies.

Edited by Harsh Thakor

West Indies, I doubt they have the bowling to win them matches. Even if they score 350-400 their bowling is lacustre. Lack of quality spinners. Ashley Nurse is horribly unfit, he makes Mohammad Shahzad look like jonty Rhodes . Their pace attack looks solid and lethal, but is too one dimensional. They do have a decent group of all rounders though who can chip in with a few overs. 

Another reason is, WI only have a chance batting first. I doubt their batting firepower will fire if they are batting second and chasing 350-400, Windies players usually cant rotate strike in a partnership freely unlike other teams. It's usually smash and block. Their batting will falter and end up like 300 all out in 40-45 overs when chasing high targets.

16 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

West Indies, I doubt they have the bowling to win them matches. Even if they score 350-400 their bowling is lacustre. Lack of quality spinners. Ashley Nurse is horribly unfit, he makes Mohammad Shahzad look like jonty Rhodes . Their pace attack looks solid and lethal, but is too one dimensional. They do have a decent group of all rounders though who can chip in with a few overs. 

Another reason is, WI only have a chance batting first. I doubt their batting firepower will fire if they are batting second and chasing 350-400, Windies players usually cant rotate strike in a partnership freely unlike other teams. It's usually smash and block. Their batting will falter and end up like 300 all out in 40-45 overs when chasing high targets.

I would back West Indies more than anyone in run chases Remember last series v England.Almost pulled of a sensational win in the3rd game.Drew 2-2with the best team in the world  in ODI cricket,England.Also defended a total to win game in that series.

Edited by Harsh Thakor
13 hours ago, Harsh Thakor said:

It may sound suprising and some viewers may mock me but I have a strong insight that West Indies may well clinch the 2019 world cup.With the Calypsos I back the Australian side or kangaroos equally.So I predict an Australia -West Indies final.I back Australia,West Indies,England and India to make the semi-final.

I agree that England is the most balanced side and deserve favouritism with their recent record at home and away.They have displayed remarkable consistency and organization and been particularly succesful against Australia both home and away which is notable.Combination of Jason Roy,Joe Root,Bairstow,Ben Stokes,Mark Wood,Chris Woakes,Moen Ali,Archer,Joss Butler etc. make England a perfectly balanced unit Howevever England has never won a world cup inspite or reaching 5 semi-finals and 3 finals and may face too much pressure of the favourites tag.England have also never won an ICC trophy inspite of being the best team in 2013 and 2017.In world cup history England just lacked that crunch or match-winning killer instinct to win a world cup which was in their grasp in 1987,1992 and arguably even 1979.Some teams are ever -consistent but just lack the necessary adrelanin to win a world cup likePakistan in 1992.

India may not be as balanced but has arguably more match-winners or charismatic players than England..However it does not have the experience of some of the teams and infused fresh talent.I also feel Virat Kohli is not a great tactician as a skipper and this may go against India.India has a great bowling attack but is slightly vulnerable in the batting aspect.It depends which side of the graph INdia are on.Somehow I feel India lacks preparation unlike Pakisatn who played 5 matches against England.Notable that unlike England India has beaten South Africa on their soil.No playesr of any side surpass the talent of Virat Kohli,Rohit Sharma or Jasprit Bhumrah.The pitches will also probably suit India.

Australia are not as balanced as England but have peaked at the right time winning succesive series away against India and Pakistan.It has the advantage of wining the cup 5 times before and has never lost a semi-final.The world cup is not about just team balance or consistency but ability to peak or lift ones game at the right or spur of the moment.Australia are masters at galvanzing their resources when a crisis awaits them to rise like a phoenix from the Ashes.No team ever has had the mental fortitude or match temperament of Australia .The return of Steve Smith and David Warner would play a major factor.Also match-winners in Aaron Finch,Michel Starc etc.

West Indies are the dark horses and on their day can blaze away in a run chase like no other team.In the recent 2-2 drawn series they proved that they could be as good as anybody and all but won the series.It has some of the most dashing stroke players ever seen in a world cup like Gayle ,Andre Russell and Brathwaithe and talented allrounders.It is similar to the side that won the 2004 ICC trophy.It is overdue now that a dark horse wins with favourites triumphing since 2003.With a bit of luck West Indies may well have won the title also in 1983 and 1987 in addition to those won in 1975 and 1979.It also came within touching distance as dark horses in 1996.It is notable that they lifted the t-20 world cup in India in 2016.Shimron Hetmeyer,Chris Gayle,Dwayne Bravo,Andre Russell and Shai Hope are match-winners on their daywho can explode like a dynamite.

I believe Pakistan has an outside chance of wining and will benefit from playing 5 games against England.It has some promising talent and on their day they can beat anyone.They came very close to winning 2 games against England which is significant.It also has a very small tail and strong depth in batting.I give New Zealand as much chance as I give Pakistan.I have a strong gut feeling that if Pakistan makes the semis then they will go on to win the tournament..Players like Inam Ul Haqand Faqar Zaman are match-winners as well as Junaid Khan ,Mohammad Amir or Mohammad Hafeez.

Thus I predict a repeat of 1975 final and it is anybody's guess who will win.My head says Australia,my heart says West Indies.

Why not pakistan?