In future world cups...

I like this format. 10 teams each team plays each other once. There is no point in having 14-16 teams and 6-7 minnows getting thrashed by top sides, awarding easy points to them. Here, the best teams will face each other directly and competition will be tough.

Now as for the knockout format, I suggest we bring in a best of 3 format for the semi finals and finals. 

That way the best team if they falter after having a bad day, can still comeback in the next match. That way, sides with lesser strength and talent than others will not fluke there way to a final or championship if they have a good day.

Edited by I6MTW
8 minutes ago, Franco Vazquez said:

This is a BS format only to help the elites. Their reluctance to have minnows means that they are scared of them otherwise why would they object to having easier matches? Basically Australia, India and England are afraid that they might lose to minnows thats why they dont want them in WC.

Lol, minnows have to prove themselves that they are worth it to compete with the top teams. I mean I hate that only limited no of countries play in the WC which is supposed to be a "world cup", but making it to to the group stage and getting thrashed by the top teams and giving easy points to them so that some of the teams can fluke a run to the knockouts is not good for the competition. The last WC was very bad. One of the worst. In this format at least quality will be there, the top teams are competing with each other , and only the consistent sides will be rewarded. Only improvement is the best of 3 in the knockouts.

If lower rank teams want to compete in teh big stage they will have to prove themselves consistently that they can compete with the top teams and show improvement over the years like Afghanistan and Ireland have. I suggest top teams arranging frequent bilateral series with lower ranked teams of 11 and below. They can show their performances there, learn from them and build on that. 

36 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

I like this format. 10 teams each team plays each other once. There is no point in having 14-16 teams and 6-7 minnows getting thrashed by top sides, awarding easy points to them. Here, the best teams will face each other directly and competition will be tough.

Now as for the knockout format, I suggest we bring in a best of 3 format for the semi finals and finals. 

That way the best team if they falter after having a bad day, can still comeback in the next match. That way, sides with lesser strength and talent than others will not fluke there way to a final or championship if they have a good day.

That's not a WORLD CUP you like !!

Why not just the first and second ranked teams in the world play each other and the rest of us can just go to hell ? 

Just now, I6MTW said:

Lol, minnows have to prove themselves that they are worth it to compete with the top teams. I mean I hate that only limited no of countries play in the WC which is supposed to be a "world cup", but making it to to the group stage and getting thrashed by the top teams and giving easy points to them so that some of the teams can fluke a run to the knockouts is not good for the competition. The last WC was very bad. One of the worst. In this format at least quality will be there, the top teams are competing with each other , and only the consistent sides will be rewarded. Only improvement is the best of 3 in the knockouts.

If lower rank teams want to compete in teh big stage they will have to prove themselves consistently that they can compete with the top teams and show improvement over the years like Afghanistan and Ireland have. I suggest top teams arranging frequent bilateral series with lower ranked teams of 11 and below. They can show their performances there, learn from them and build on that. 

How can minnows improve without playing against better players ? May I remind you Scotland dumped the No 1 team and favourites on their ass when they did get a chance 

1 minute ago, I6MTW said:

Scotland defeated England last year. Same England which has thrashed Pakistan. All their stars were playing in that match except Buttler. Ireland defeated WI god knows how many times in lead up to the last WC and not only that but Zimbabwe is also a competent side which can give as much of a shock value than Pakistan and who said there are no minnows in this tournament? Pak, SL, Afghanistan and to some extent Bangladesh. All of them will be walkovers for England, Australia and India.

1 minute ago, Tattieboy said:

That's not a WORLD CUP you like !!

Why not just the first and second ranked teams in the world play each other and the rest of us can just go to hell ? 

Read the above post. I am not against more teams in the world cup. On the contrary , I would like more teams but there is just no point, if teams just get free points when they play these minnows. Afghanistan made it in the top 10 because of their consistency in the past decade. Ireland was also consistent before. These are the only two teams who have deserved the chances . Other teams still need to improve and show consistency if they want to make it into the big stage. The prev 14 format just allowed teams to make it into the group stages. 

Well , what other format would you guys suggest then? The old format?  I still think the top 8-10 teams should play each other atleast once. With the old format, it would not be possible, plus with the minnows playing, playing them etc. There would be around 14 matches in a group stage. 

Read the above post. I am not against more teams in the world cup. On the contrary , I would like more teams but there is just no point, if teams just get free points when they play these minnows. Afghanistan made it in the top 10 because of their consistency in the past decade. Ireland was also consistent before. These are the only two teams who have deserved the chances . Other teams still need to improve and show consistency if they want to make it into the big stage. The prev 14 format just allowed teams to make it into the group stages. 

WC is the only time when these teams get to play big boys. Most teams don't try to organize a series against minnows because for them its not lucrative and also because they are afraid of losing. Afghanistan is a special case where they were first helped by Pakistan and now India. If Scotland and other minnows had backing of ECB or some other elite boards, they would have become better than Afghanistan as well.

Well , what other format would you guys suggest then? The old format?  I still think the top 8-10 teams should play each other atleast once. With the old format, it would not be possible, plus with the minnows playing, playing them etc. There would be around 14 matches in a group stage. 

The format that is used for U19 WC is the best but the big boys are too afraid to play in such a format because they are afraid same would happen with them like what happened in 2007 WC.

8 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

How can minnows improve without playing against better players ? May I remind you Scotland dumped the No 1 team and favourites on their ass when they did get a chance 

That's what I suggested. Arrange frequent bilateral series against the top teams. There performances against them will help them, then by consistently performing well, the deserving 2 teams can easily go thru the qualifiers and get a spot in the world cup.

If Scotland keeps improving and putting up performances like last year then they should be able to qualify for the world cup next time right? 

I ask you again if Test Nations won't play the too ranked associate teams how do they get better ? 

Afghanistan and Ireland were given Test status and the huge monetary benefits that comes with it on ODI performance That is two different formats , two different kinds of cricket . In Ireland's case it wAs because of performances from years ago, Scotland is a much better ODI team beating Test Nations in a rigged qualifying tournament than what Ireland us now . 

How about a 12 team format , where top 8 teams qualify and 4 teams qualify from playing the qualifiers? That way we will have some deserving leaser ranked teams who will play and get a chance to show themselves. 

Only thing is the length of the competition will increase if each team were to play each other once and if best of 3 in the knockouts were there.

That's what I suggested. Arrange frequent bilateral series against the top teams. There performances against them will help them, then by consistently performing well, the deserving 2 teams can easily go thru the qualifiers and get a spot in the world cup.

If Scotland keeps improving and putting up performances like last year then they should be able to qualify for the world cup next time right? 

How the * can they qualify when there are only 10 spots out of which 8 are already booked even before the qualifier begins? And in qualifiers you have teams like Ireland, Afghanistan, WI/SL/Ban which are no pushovers either. Funny thing is that people here want minnows to do well but when they actually do well i.e 2007 WC, they hate it. World Cup is not the best against best its a World Cup where maximum teams should be given opportunity there's a reason why FIFA WC is a global event whereas Cricket WC is just something limited to Asian countries.

3 minutes ago, Tattieboy said:

I ask you again if Test Nations won't play the too ranked associate teams how do they get better ? 

Afghanistan and Ireland were given Test status and the huge monetary benefits that comes with it on ODI performance That is two different formats , two different kinds of cricket . In Ireland's case it wAs because of performances from years ago, Scotland is a much better ODI team beating Test Nations in a rigged qualifying tournament than what Ireland us now . 

ICC should arrange a tour programme where top ranked test sides play odi/t20 bilaterals against associate nations from time to time. Would be a great way to promote the sport and the lower teams will get experience from competing with the top teams.

2 minutes ago, I6MTW said:

You are living in dream world !!! Top teams won't play associate teams , has India ever played Scotland when in UK?

Just incase you are unaware , fixtures for next 5 years are in place . Scotland have 3 fixtures allocated by ICC  for this summer , now already played . 

2 minutes ago, Franco Vazquez said:

How the * can they qualify when there are only 10 spots out of which 8 are already booked even before the qualifier begins? And in qualifiers you have teams like Ireland, Afghanistan, WI/SL/Ban which are no pushovers either. Funny thing is that people here want minnows to do well but when they actually do well i.e 2007 WC, they hate it. World Cup is not the best against best its a World Cup where maximum teams should be given opportunity there's a reason why FIFA WC is a global event whereas Cricket WC is just something limited to Asian countries.

How about the 12 team format I suggested?

How about a 12 team format , where top 8 teams qualify and 4 teams qualify from playing the qualifiers? That way we will have some deserving leaser ranked teams who will play and get a chance to show themselves. 

Only thing is the length of the competition will increase if each team were to play each other once and if best of 3 in the knockouts were there.

This WC isn't already too long already there are no double headers on weekdays which is itself a brainfade. FIFA WC with 32 teams is only a month long but here we have "World Cup" with 10 teams still 15 days longer than FIFA. I have already told you which format is the best which is round robin+knockouts