Are we good against Bouncers?

I remember we got bounced out from two world T20s (one by WI one by Australia). Rohti made 79 in one match. Yuvraj made a 50 in the other match. Others struggled. How do you think our line up will cope up against bouncers? 

Rohit - Good

Kohli - Good

Gabbar - can look fugly and get out. 

Jadhav - bad

Dhoni - he can survive.

Rahul - Decent.

Pandya - can look awkward. but manage.

52 minutes ago, vvvslaxman said:

we got bounced out from two world T20s (one by WI one by Australia). Rohti made 79 in one match

I was there at the stadium.  Barbados pitch always has good bounce.  Aussies dominated us with pace.  Only Rohit could handle it.  

Didn't help that Jaddu dropped Watson early in the first innings, and then got smacked for 6s after.  Super captain Dhoni stupidly bowled him into the wind, helping Watson's shots, even mishits float beyond the ropes.  You would never realize this mistake unless a commentator points it out or you are at the ground.  

On topic, I think we are OK to handle bounce - not great, but not bad either.  And let's be honest, its the rare batsman that's good against pace and bounce on a quick track.  SA/Aus can bully it if the track gives them a chance.  Asian teams would struggle even on such tracks.  But even SA got troubled by Jofra Archer in the 1st game.  We're better than most at handling it.  I think we'll be fine.  

5 minutes ago, Bigg Brother said:

2009 t20 wc  comes to mind..WI bounced out the same way..

yes. In T20 games you have no time to see of the ball. THey went after bowling and ended up losing wickets.

some of the balls

Taylor to Gambhir, 2 runs, just over second slip What a cracker of a bouncer. That almost took out Gambhir. Superb delivery. Gambhir hopped in alarm, taking the eyes of it and fended it in an ungainly manner but the ball popped just behind the leaping slip fielder.

Edwards to RG Sharma, FOUR runs, Fidel serves a short-pitched delivery to his IPL team-mate and Rohit responds with a pull through midwicket. It was quite pacy delivery, 149.4 kmph, and Rohit did well to play the horizontal shot

Edwards to RG Sharma, OUT, Undaunted by the pulled four, Fidel simply cranks up another short-pitched delivery from back of length.. Rohit is beaten for the pace and by the extra bounce, top edges the pull to square leg. Great start from Windies. Taylor served up a fiery first over and now, Fidel has started in a similar vein.

RG Sharma c Simmons b Edwards 5 (6m 3b 1x4 0x6) SR: 166.66

Edwards to Raina, OUT, Full in length and slanting away from Raina, who after the bouncers, was hanging on the back foot.   :laugh: He simply hung his bat out to dry and Ramdin says thank you as he dives neatly to his left to take it inches off the turf. Raina stood his ground, the umpires weren't sure whether it carried and they went upstairs. Replays confirm it went in cleanly. Gone! Ramdin almost knocked Gayle off in attempt to throw the ball up in the air, while celebrating.

SK Raina c †Ramdin b Edwards 5 (12m 8b 0x4 0x6) SR: 62.50

W
Bravo to Gambhir, OUT, Three down now. What a delightful start by the Windies. It was the short-pitched delivery that did the trick. Gambhir top edged the pull and Lendl ran back from square leg and lunged forward in the end to take a very fine catch. First Ramdin and now Lendl; the West Indian fielders are doing a great job.

G Gambhir c Simmons b Bravo 14 (23m 13b 2x4 0x6) SR: 107.69

W
Bravo to Dhoni, OUT, And Dhoni falls after a painful little knock.  :laugh:It was banged in short and outsdie off and Dhoni, actually played his best shot of the day. A shot full of intent. He rocked back to cut it hard and flat but couldn't clear the man stationed near the ropes at deep backward point. The capta

Edwards to Yuvraj Singh, OUT, Fidel terminates a superb innings from Yuvraj. Again, it was the short-pitched ball that did the trick. Yuvraj top-edges the pull and this time it lobs straight to the on side and Fidel positions himself under it. A very fine entertaining knock comes to an end.

Yuvraj Singh c & b Edwards 67 (55m 43b 6x4 2x6) SR: 155.81

Against 140 kph bowlers, moderately bouncy track we're fine but not genuine pacers like Starc, Cummins, Rabada, Archer, Thomas, Ferguson. How easily do people forget that Dhawan, Sharma have been bounced out in tests & LO in the past, with ODI it's a rarity but under the pump in a WC playing quality pace is never easy.

The pitch would have eased after 15 or so overs. They don’t have the quality to survive and defend  in these conditions. I doubt whether the strategy of short pitch would have worked after a few overs and wickets in hand. You need to survive and then score and o believe we have a quality side to handle this.

Edited by nitinbwj

Rahul is one of the better pullers we have. So I'm not sure where this notion that he is wek against the short pitched stuff comes from? His only real problem is the inswinger, aginst which his technique is really vulnurable.

He played some awesome pull shots against the likes of Plunkett in Eng and Cummins in India. 

13 minutes ago, vice said:

It is actually the element of surprise bounce which gets a player out. Driving length deliveries and then getting a sharp steep bounce ala Bumrah and you get trapped.

Shami gave a torrid time to Aussies with short ball as well. They took blows on the knuckles a lot.

The problem with most Pak batsmen is the wierd crouch trigger movement they do - look at Sarfaraz and Haris. That can't be good way deal with bouncers when you're not that tall to begin with.

Even Babar Azam who is supposed be their best bat, tends to play the pull aerially. He is not fully in control of the shot. I suspect other teams willbombard them with the short pitched stuff going forwrd. Not all teams have the pace to successfully exploit it though. Kinda reminds me of our T20 WC 09 campaign.

I'm just so glad the current lot and the next in line batsmen like Shaw, Gill, etc are very good against the short stuff.