Current Indian team reminds me of Srilanka of the early 2000s

A boring and dull team with lack of flair but is efficient enough to get the job done.

A team that just does enough to find itself in knockouts but just doesn’t have the it factor to go all the way.

A team that is boring to watch but does have some world class players in the side.

Edited by maniac

Hmm not a fair comparison 

it’s a good team -has a good mix of spinners and fast bowlers which sl didn’t have 

has got good batting etc 

the difference today is england Australia New Zealand South Africa pakistan all have good squads with different strengths . West Indies is resurgent and afghan and pak on rise . 

All rounders were never india strength - we are lucky to have a pandya who is a decent all rounder - the other teams are blessed with at least two fast bowling all rounders - england aussie West Indies and South Africa all have them . This allows them greater freedom to play at beginning . 

If india finds one more fast fast bowler who can bat well - prasid krishna or even a leg spinning allrounder , we will be par or better . 

17 minutes ago, mani sha said:

Hmm not a fair comparison 

it’s a good team -has a good mix of spinners and fast bowlers which sl didn’t have 

has got good batting etc 

the difference today is england Australia New Zealand South Africa pakistan all have good squads with different strengths . West Indies is resurgent and afghan and pak on rise . 

All rounders were never india strength - we are lucky to have a pandya who is a decent all rounder - the other teams are blessed with at least two fast bowling all rounders - england aussie West Indies and South Africa all have them . This allows them greater freedom to play at beginning . 

If india finds one more fast fast bowler who can bat well - prasid krishna or even a leg spinning allrounder , we will be par or better . 

Malinga,Vaas,Murali,Mendis?

16 minutes ago, mani sha said:

or even a leg spinning allrounder

That's why guys like K Goutham, Shreyas Gopal, Krunal Pandya etc should have  been given opportunities a year or so ago. 

As it is, we have Jadhav and Jadeja for that 2nd allrounder slot - one is a batsman who lets the ball go, the other is a bowler who bats once in a blue moon.  Imagine having a Jayasuriya/Dilshan type player in addition to Hardik in the XI.  India would win 95/100 games. 

21 minutes ago, maniac said:

A boring and dull team with lack of flair but is efficient enough to get the job done.

A team that just does enough to find itself in knockouts but just doesn’t have the it factor to go all the way.

A team that is boring to watch but does have some world class players in the side.

Our top 4 are attractive batsman. I personally am not a fan of Rahul however he looks so good when on song. Dhoni Jadav sure i agree. Not even getting into pandya. Again Bumra and spinners are also impressive. 

Now if by flair you mean manjus fav imran like hairstyle then yes that is missing. 

In batting, the issue is that we have some players who are has-beens/past their best that need luck and may be an almost perfect storm for the opposition to play exciting cricket .... However, pitches have been inconsistent in this WC where at some venues the games have been high scoring, while at others, there is support for the bowlers 

In bowling, Bumrah, Shami, Kuldeep, and Chahal are exciting to watch. In the field, guys like Pandya and Jadeja have their moments 

Overall, bowlers, Kohli (when he is finding the gaps), Pandya (when batting and fielding well), Jadeja when fielding, etc., can offer watchable cricket 

30 minutes ago, maniac said:

Not world no 1 ! 

Except for Murali who was a v good test bowler but not as effective in odi 

mall others were ok . 

Compare with  bumrah shami kuldeep chahal jadeja bhuvi - it’s the all weather odi attack we have . Sl was more a subcontinental ok odi attack .

2 hours ago, maniac said:

India is a world no 1 test side, and has been there and thereabouts in ODI for a very long time. India beat Aus, SA and NZ away ( lost to ENG right lost it what 2-1?).  I think its unfair to compare this side with SL who were a WC winning side but not world beaters. 

22 minutes ago, chewy said:

All I can say, Pant is a big miss, just in the exicitment and expectations

The guy done it in the most difficult arena, Tests, what more does he need to prove

Just like England, India too need to change thoer approach and be more agrresive in batting . 

Hope india gets a new coach with that mindset . England changed their approach post 2015 WC  and it took almost 2-3 years to

get success . 

With new set of players , india can be more agressive . Players like Shaw, Pant , Shreyas  play agressively. 

There will be failures and may take some time before consistency comes . 

Advantahe india has is indian bowling has atleast 3 attacking bowlers.

Having watched so many WCs including almost every ball in the past, I am over the phase where my focus/interest is only in India winning. Now I like to enjoy the games and see it from the perspective of both the teams. The brand and quality of cricket are gaining importance for me. The approach that interests me the most is positive and aggressive cricket. In batting, I want the batsman to back himself to take the bowlers on. In bowling, I want bowlers to do for wkts. In fielding, I want to see attacking cricket and field setting on the display as much as possible.  

Edited by zen
49 minutes ago, zen said:

Having watched so many WCs including almost every ball in the past, I am over the phase where my focus/interest is only in India winning. Now I like to enjoy the games and see it from the perspective of both the teams. The brand and quality of cricket are gaining importance for me. The approach that interests me the most is positive and aggressive cricket. In batting, I want the batsman to back himself to take the bowlers on. In bowling, I want bowlers to do for wkts. In fielding, I want to see attacking cricket and field setting on the display as much as possible.  

I am kind of in the same boat now. 2011 World Cup victory changed a bit may be. I am still crazy about seeing India, but now I am more focused in seeing the bat and ball competition and seeing how well a batsman is trying to playa out a certain phase or how a bowler is setting up a batsman etc. 

I would like to see someone coming out to bat and attack Start and Cummins out of the bowing attack. I feel Munro/Guptill pair can do this at best. I look forward to seeing NZ vs Aus game. 

Just now, Cricketics said:

I am kind of in the same boat now. 2011 World Cup victory changed a bit may be. I am still crazy about seeing India, but now I am more focused in seeing the bat and ball competition and seeing how well a batsman is trying to playa out a certain phase or how a bowler is setting up a batsman etc. 

I would like to see someone coming out to bat and attack Start and Cummins out of the bowing attack. I feel Munro/Guptill pair can do this at best. I look forward to seeing NZ vs Aus game. 

It is like Maslow's pyramid:

0*vmojEZ3nGdboQ6_c.png

Now, we want the sport and players to achieve their full potential. It is beyond just focusing on Ind winning despite playing pointless cricket 

4 hours ago, sage said:

Nothing can top sachin tendulkar and virender sehwag opening the batting for flair

the biggest take away is that when I used to see them play - I used to think 

1, This will be the norm for India - as in there would be such openers always - so Wrong lol.

2, When I used to see them absolutely decimate opposition in home conditions I used to think home games are useless every one wins them - So wrong lol. 

They were special.

1 hour ago, zen said:

when this happens to all adult fans in a country, then the fandom matures and folks can actually enjoy the game for what it is.

I have the irritation of having a fair weather fan around - a female friend of my spouse who is staying in our guest room for a few days - a highly primitive fan ( fear of association with a losing team, wanting India to win so that she feels every other person in the world likes Indian team and therefore weirdly her better etc). Having to watch the games with her is a real irritation - a throwback to those school days of wanting India team win at all costs without enjoying the game.  

6 hours ago, maniac said:

mendis was a threat for very short time and when malinga started peaking vaas cut down his pace a lot to bowl more n more which made him quite ineffective. During malinga peek they Fernando, Mahroof and few others rotating around 

We have shami, bumrah, chahal, kuldeep....who are doing well collectively .Our bowling is much much better . 

Sanath, dilshan, Sanga vs dhawan, Rohit , kohli ........ill take latter any day. 

8 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

mendis was a threat for very short time and when malinga started peaking vaas cut down his pace a lot to bowl more n more which made him quite ineffective. During malinga peek they Fernando, Mahroof and few others rotating around 

We have shami, bumrah, chahal, kuldeep....who are doing well collectively .Our bowling is much much better . 

Sanath, dilshan, Sanga vs dhawan, Rohit , kohli ........ill take latter any day. 

It’s not an apples to apples comparison chill.

The parallel I am drawing is how Srilanka was usually clinical against minnows and weaker teams. I remember India and Pak used to stumble once in a while against WI etc but Srilanka always used to thrash them.

However they just didn’t have that extra zip to go further against big teams in big tournaments. They were boring but efficient 

India now is similar they are efficient and a well oiled machine but Indian games are very boring to watch.

7 minutes ago, maniac said:

India now is similar they are efficient and a well oiled machine but Indian games are very boring to watch.

boring to watch because of the whole method of chasing with least risks at any given point in time. every chase that is won is around 47th to 49th over every bowling change is a bit conservative to minimise death over onslaught etc..so no winning in 35 over or bowling out for 120 runs (like WWE squash match) etc.  SL used to do a lot of that with minnow teams, they were ruthless with minows and did not have depth with big teams, India on other hand tries the same least risk approach with every team and beats every team optimally or fails optimally. Its because of the professional setup in India now. You will see that Aus/Eng/BD will end up the same eventually WI when they run out of this whole calypso cricket flavour. 

Edited by Vilander