Ponting Expects Bumrah & Co to Target Aussies With Short Deliveries

https://www.news18.com/cricketnext/news/india-vs-australia-ponting-expects-bumrah-co-to-target-aussies-with-short-deliveries-2176543.html

Australia assistant coach Ricky Ponting believes India might take a leaf out of West Indies' book and target Australian batsmen with short deliveries during their 2019 World Cup clash on Sunday (June 9).

Australian top order was rattled by the West Indian trio of Oshane Thomas, Sheldon Cottrell and Andre Russell as they kept hitting them with short stuff and reduced the Aaron Finch-led side to 38 for 4. Australia however were able to recover from the assault on the back of Steve Smith and Nathan Coulter-Nile and earned a hard-fought 15-run victory.

Ponting thinks India can even drop one of their wrist spinners to play Mohammad Shami.

"Bumrah we know is a very good new ball bowler and I'm sure he'll mix it up and bowl some short stuff and some full stuff," Ponting told cricket.com.au.

"Bhuvneshwar will probably not worry you too much with his pace or his bouncers. Hardik can maybe rush you a little bit, so maybe they have a decision to make on the overall make up of their side.

"Do they maybe go with only the one spinner and use (off-spinning allrounder) Kedhav Jadav as a second spinner and play another fast bowler?   (yea right !!! :hysterical:)

"We'll worry about that in the next couple of days and make sure all the boys are prepared."

Ponting said he will seek answers from Usman Khawaja and Glenn Maxwell on coping with the short ball after their dismissals put Australia in trouble against West Indies. Khawaja in particular has looked very uncomfortable against short deliveries and Ponting said the left-hander will have to find a way to tackle his weakness.

"I've got some notes written in my book about that exact thing. I just want to know what's going through his mind.

"For me, being back involved in the team now, I want to understand what they are thinking about at different times. It's not always just about the execution, it's about what's going inside your mind that causes the poor shots.

"Usman got hit again … so he's had a few hits in the last few weeks. I haven't spoken to him (to see) if he's rattled, but that's part and parcel of top order batting against brand new balls against guys who are bowling 140 kph an hour.

"You've got to find a way to cope and a way to get through hostile spells knowing that it's not going to last forever."

Ponting was also surprised by Maxwell's shot selection who went for the pull shot only in the second delivery of his innings. The former Australia captain feels this match will serve as a wake-up call to his team.

"It's a bit of an uncharacteristic shot from (Maxwell) as well, he's not a natural hooker and puller of the ball anyway. These are the things I want to ask him about as well when we finish up tonight, just get inside their heads a little bit.

"It's just a little bit of a blip in the radar that we'll have a chat about and make sure we're prepared for the next game.

"It could very well be … a wake-up call. Just understanding that if you are under pressure in big games like World Cup games, finding a mechanism or a way to get through (is important).

"It could be just a good learning curve for those guys at the top and hopefully they'll bounce back strong."

51 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

Aus play spin well , u forgot they won the series in India n PAk recently and played all of them kuldeep, chahal, jadhav pretty well 

And they play pace better. Always play to oppositions weakness and your strength. I still cant get over Ganguly not playing Kumble in WC finals. Just remembe sports are about creating mismatches all over the field and exploiting them.

24 minutes ago, Khota said:

And they play pace better. Always play to oppositions weakness and your strength. I still cant get over Ganguly not playing Kumble in WC finals. Just remembe sports are about creating mismatches all over the field and exploiting them.

It was pace only that rattled Aus in Last game against . 

Kumble wont have made jackshit of diff...that side smashed everyone. When Aus came to india that year they smashed kumble n bhajji together in India . 

2 spinners are enough , 3 wont make much of diff as 3rd one hardly takes wkts anyways they played kulcha pretty well . Its shami n bumrah who will trouble them at top. Jadeja can only do well if its a turner which is not possible at this point of time . 

42 minutes ago, Ankit_sharma03 said:

It was pace only that rattled Aus in Last game against . 

Kumble wont have made jackshit of diff...that side smashed everyone. When Aus came to india that year they smashed kumble n bhajji together in India . 

2 spinners are enough , 3 wont make much of diff as 3rd one hardly takes wkts anyways they played kulcha pretty well . Its shami n bumrah who will trouble them at top. Jadeja can only do well if its a turner which is not possible at this point of time . 

Bounce trobled them but they still scored almost 300. I would not call that a sub par total.

They will have Hardik for lunch. As ususal he will relieve pressure. Jadeja is a smarter selection.

India strength not bouncers except. Ishant 

swing will what will get aussies

pandya and bhuvi will get wickets

i will bring jadeja in for kuldeep . Aussies don’t play left arm spin as well . Besides kuldeep is overexposed to them . Keep him for semis 

21 minutes ago, Khota said:

Bounce trobled them but they still scored almost 300. I would not call that a sub par total.

coz they didnt have extra seamer to continue the assault and ofcourse they are a good team 

When kumble bhajji played agianst them In india they smashed us for around 350.....so 

they chased 359 against kulcha few mnths ago and made 300+ in a game before

And why wud u play 3 spinners in england that to when their are 2 new balls and pitches tend to seam around for first few overs

They will have Hardik for lunch. As ususal he will relieve pressure. Jadeja is a smarter selection.

till now they havent

If i remeber it jadeja whom warner once had for lunch when he smashed him for 5 continous sixes 

Jadeja batting against starc n cummins:hysterical:

Edited by Ankit_sharma03
3 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

Bumrah doesn't need to bowl short

For better effectiveness, every quick pacer needs to bowl a few short balls  unless there is consistent swing and seam movement on offer.  And even then, a few goid bouncers make the batsmen circumspect about coming on the front foot  and they find it more difficult to counter seam and swing.

3 hours ago, Sandeep99 said:

whereas Bhuvi can't and Pandya will and get a phainty..

Pandya maybe an average bowler but has a good bouncer.